Author Topic: Permadeath Servers  (Read 515 times)

Legacy_ffbj

Permadeath Servers
« on: March 19, 2013, 11:56:59 pm »

How many permadeath servers are around?  I was thinking of scripting something but it would only be useful
to those type of servers. 

Modifié par ffbj, 19 mars 2013 - 11:58 .

Legacy_FunkySwerve

Permadeath Servers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:39:37 pm »

We feature a  Hardcore ruleset on HG that deletes players when they would otherwise respawn. There's also a Softcore option that converts them to a normal non-HC instead of deleting them. What kind of script did you have in mind?

Funky

Legacy_ffbj

Permadeath Servers
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:53:17 pm »

Ah. This would be an alternative method where in essence the PC becomes a ghost. The character is not deleted and they can only haunt the area where they died. Perhaps even a further restriction as they cannot go more a certain distance from their gravestone, the location of their death.
If they try to chat others will see a switch of their chat to oooo-OO-oo or aHhh or various moans, from a switch statement, with one containing the ghost PC's name.
If other living PC's has an item speak with dead or that ability they can chat with the dead normally. If the ghost PC leaves the area where they died they are teleported back to their gravestone.
If it is day the ghost PC is booted.
If the gravestone is destroyed they are booted., which could simply be on the ondeath of the gravestone.
The gravestone, btw is created at the location the GhostPC spawns into, the location of their death.
Perhaps not all PC that died turned to ghosts, perhaps base on level, location of death, (dieing in a graveyard for example), or a spectacular death, would have some bearing on this. 
Other restrictions could be applied as needed. For instance the permanent object with GhostPC on it prevents them from equpping any items except for the ones they died with equipped which could be handled by simply stripping all items on death which are not equipped. Additionally if some one tried to give them something they could not pick it up.
Well that's the general idea.

Various scenarios:
A dm has another person  who has a ghost pop into their death location as a surprise.  The ghost pc makes a cameo and perhaps helps or hinders the party.  Good reason to take speak with dead.
A bored live PC takes an old dead ghost PC to an area and just haunts it for a while.
Stuff like that.

Modifié par ffbj, 21 mars 2013 - 09:00 .

Legacy_painofdungeoneternal

Permadeath Servers
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:59:18 pm »

lol that sounds very fun

and they could be banished by a cleric, or resurrected, or zombiefied, but could try to interact with others nearby to save themselves.

I always wondered why you'd play on a perma death server and actually leave town ( unless a dm was a friend protecting you ), but if you could haunt instead of deleting, it just adds a new realm of game play.

Of course you could have entirely new monsters that hunt ghosts, perhaps a death NPC that comes to collect you. A bright light which beckons to you ( assign command to walk towards it ), and if they get you, it could mean death to the ghost.

Modifié par painofdungeoneternal, 21 mars 2013 - 09:00 .

Legacy_ffbj

Permadeath Servers
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 09:05:32 pm »

Yes, there is room to imagine whatever you want. Mainly I think it would just be fun for people to dust off an old PC just to make a cameo. Now certain areas could be riven with ghost PC potentiality. In that maybe half a dozen people PC's died in the area. So there is a chance there could be a ghost there, or even more than one. My idea would be they were immortal since they are dead but if they fall below a certain hit range they are banished, booted from the server, or whatever method you devise to remove them. The default would be to destroy their gravestone. They would also have a powerful aura of fear on them that could not be turned off after all they are ghost pc's.  They should scare the bejabbers out of most things. 
Coincidentally for HG this would actually be a draw to play HC since you would not be allowed to become a ghost if you chose the softened death penalty version.

Modifié par ffbj, 21 mars 2013 - 09:15 .

Legacy_Builder__Anthony

Permadeath Servers
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 04:55:02 am »

Ravenloft uses something simular but you can see the pc for a short timeif they are close but i like the idea they cant venture far from where they died.i havent worked on things in some time since i m not online with my pc and traveling around alot on my job but i would try it out.

Legacy_ffbj

Permadeath Servers
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 11:45:06 pm »

Well its always nice to hear from you.  I think I will work on it.  Stop by from time to time.

Legacy_Builder__Anthony

Permadeath Servers
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 12:25:17 am »

Well im only online on my phone but im here alot.mainliny in custom content.