Author Topic: Lexicon site down?  (Read 534 times)

Legacy_WhiteTiger

Lexicon site down?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 03:49:54 am »

The site was down for at least 24 hours after I first noticed it.

The site can't be offline for at least 24 hours that we care about  ':wub:'

Legacy_HipMaestro

Lexicon site down?
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 04:03:30 am »

There was a general maintenance repository installed for Wikimedia right around Proleric's original time stamp.  Actually... I am somewhat amazed at the continuum and volume of updates that are being applied to that software.  Impressive.  And it's free to boot. ':wacko:'

Lexicon has always been accessible through its default server whenever I needed it but that could be simply a matter of timing.  I don't access it daily as I am sure some of you do.

Legacy_Proleric

Lexicon site down?
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 10:06:51 am »

The bigger question for me is whether the continuity of community assets is being managed.

I'm comfortable that the new vault is in safe hands, and does not depend on any one person, but when it comes to the Lexicon and similar assets I don't have that confidence.

I'm very appreciative of everything people do here on a voluntary basis, but, quite understandably, folk sometimes move on or find a better use for their cash. Those of us who contribute to these assets would benefit from knowing who's running them and what the failsafe plan is. We might be willing to help out.

After the collapse of the old vault, I put out a general request for information on this topic, but received few replies.

Legacy_acomputerdood

Lexicon site down?
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 06:01:49 pm »

that's the main reason i pushed the community to accept a wiki format for the lexicon.

here's the deal with the lexicon.  the original owner still owns the domain, but isn't interested in maintaining it.  i can check my emails with him, but he might have offered to point it to an IP of our choosing.  but that would mean we have to have a server to host the content on.  alternatively, he offered to give me space on his server to continue hosting it, so long as he didn't maintain it.

he reluctantly gave me an account on his personal (or professional maybe) service so that i do some minimal care and feeding.  my goal has been to ask as little from him as possible.  i think this is really the ideal situation.

as for the wiki, i knew there would be many more edits than i would be able to keep up with.  in fact, i don't think i've done a single edit since i translated all the .html lexicon pages into wiki.  squatting monk and some others have done a LOT of further cleaning and even fixing mistakes.

i don't know how many wiki admins there currently are, or how many of them are truly active.  if there are some leaders in the community that want to be a wiki admin, then i'm sure it won't be a problem to add them.  i guess the other admins would want to vet them, i don't know the process.

as far as other people having local admin accounts on the lexicon owner's web service, i'd rather not ask for that (trying to not be a pest), and i don't really see the point of it.  there's nothing that really needs to be done on that end now that the wiki is set up.  of course, it's truly not my decision - if the community wants to ask for more then we can.

Legacy_henesua

Lexicon site down?
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 06:07:37 pm »

How long until we have to update the domain or transfer ownership?

Legacy_acomputerdood

Lexicon site down?
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »

the current registration lasts until july 2015, but it renews each year or two.  he's owned it since 2002.  there's never been an indication that he won't continue owning it.

i would wager he'll continue to own it indefinitely, unless, of course, somebody wants to buy/take it over from him.  if the community chooses to go that route, however, it would be wise to have a community server established (and not expect to keep using his server for it).

Legacy_Squatting Monk

Lexicon site down?
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 12:07:08 am »

i don't know how many wiki admins there currently are, or how many of them are truly active.  if there are some leaders in the community that want to be a wiki admin, then i'm sure it won't be a problem to add them.  i guess the other admins would want to vet them, i don't know the process.

Currently, you and I are the only ones with admin status on the wiki, but you are the only one with privileges to elevate others to admin.

I would welcome the assistance of others in the community with this, especially since I've been becoming progressively more absent. At this point, there's not a lot that requires an admin to do, but having others around to help out will ensure that things will continue smoothly even if my participation decreases.

Legacy_Proleric

Lexicon site down?
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 08:10:22 am »

Thanks for explaining the situation. I'd be glad to help.

Legacy_acomputerdood

Lexicon site down?
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 11:13:16 am »

Currently, you and I are the only ones with admin status on the wiki, but you are the only one with privileges to elevate others to admin.

oh, i thought there were more people in that role.  i'll figure out how to make SM have the same access i do, and then we'll take volunteers to be junior admins for now.