Author Topic: Litghting Bug  (Read 266 times)

Legacy_ffbj

Litghting Bug
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »

Has anyone every fixed this?  Just wondering since I just came up with a solution.  For those who don't know what it is, the lighting bug, that is here is a re-statement of the problem.
When you set up an object to emit a light when it is activated you have this annoying ambient glow which attaches to the object, even when it's off.  This problem was addressed, at least partially with the introduction of non-amibient light sources, introduced a few patches ago, however while the annoying glow was gone these light sources emmitted  no light, though there would be a flame animation for candles, campfires, etc..The lighting in the area stayed the same.
So the best thing would be a non-ambient source that still emits light and changes the lighting with the light source as the center point.
Probably someone else has done this already, but I now have fixed lighting.
Cheers! 

Legacy_Shadooow

Litghting Bug
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 08:01:51 pm »

not fixed but workarounded, basically the glow is set via placeables.2da - this is client-side 2da but if you have haks you can distribute players your version with the desired placeable without glow, then you can add light via script and VFX

having two versions of placeable one with glow and one without needs to call RecalculateAmbientLightning as the glow still remains even if the placeable is destroyed IIRC. And the function to recalculate lightning doesnt work perfectly. In big areas it affect only the nearby area of where the client is, not farther.

Legacy_ffbj

Litghting Bug
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:08:45 am »

Interesting.  What I came up with seems to work pretty well, does not involve 2da's or haks.  I have maybe done an end run, as no ambient glow exists, whether or not the placeable is destroyed.
Just wondering as it seemed so easy to fix, I just assumed someone had done it already.
Maybe I will do a demo with various lighting solutions demonstrating this method.
Thanks.