Author Topic: Redirect agro to 'tank'  (Read 455 times)

Legacy_Buddywarrior

Redirect agro to 'tank'
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:41:27 pm »

A player asked if I had a way to create a "taunt' ability as used in other games for the tank/warrior to keep the attention of the monster so the higher dps classes can continue to dish out the damage without being chased.

Any suggestions on how to go about this from the perspective of the tank/fighter/meatshield?

Legacy__six

Redirect agro to 'tank'
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:43:38 pm »

Curiously, there doesn't seem to be a script for the Taunt skill use in the toolset - otherwise I'd say editing that to add an ActionAttack directed at the player if successful would be the best idea. I might be wrong here, from just a cursory glance, but it looks like it's hardcoded.

The most natural solution would be, IMO, adding a custom feat to do what you suggest, perhaps with a resistance check based on enemy will and player strength. If you don't want to go into adding a custom hakpak for the ability (which I tend to find most builders are resistant to), you could always add it into one of the Player Tool feats added by 1.69, just overwriting one of the scripts from "x3_pl_tool01" through "tool10". In that context, OBJECT_SELF will be the caster, GetSpellTargetObject() should return the target (which will be OBJECT_INVALID) if cast on the ground).

Using the latter option your ability will be called Player Tool X with no description of its' purpose, and you'll have to provide the player with the knowledge of what it does ingame.

Modifié par _six, 08 juin 2012 - 05:44 .

Legacy_Kato -

Redirect agro to 'tank'
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:40:59 pm »

Alternatively you could probably use nwnx_cool to simulate/override taunt.

Kato

Modifié par Kato_Yang, 08 juin 2012 - 06:46 .

Legacy_Shadooow

Redirect agro to 'tank'
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 12:53:31 am »

The taunt effect can be returned within GetFirst/NextEffect. Its type is invalid effect but creator is taunter. Not 100% reliable but checking for temporary invalid effect should be enough. It cannot be knockdown as the creature wouldn't be commandable and wouldn't ran AI code.

Legacy_Buddywarrior

Redirect agro to 'tank'
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:02:29 am »

OP here. Sorry for referencing other games term of 'Taunt' to try and explain what I'm trying to attain. That made it confusing.

I plan on using a unique power that oPC would cast on a creature, the creature would then lose all attacking attention on whatever it was attack and then attack the oPC.

Legacy__six

Redirect agro to 'tank'
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 03:09:52 am »

I think we all assumed that, yes.