Author Topic: Do bmu files degrade over time too?  (Read 399 times)

Legacy_ZugothNDeadly

Do bmu files degrade over time too?
« on: September 06, 2015, 04:47:18 am »

I recently discovered that my mp3 files sound quite different compared to music played on cds and online like music players, youtube, ect and later realized they are lossy files. Are bmus the same way? Btw, my mp3s came from a cd I bought a long time ago.

Legacy_Tchos

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 05:09:32 am »

Mp3s do not degrade over time, any more than any other digital format does.  All of the degradation happens at the moment of encoding, and stays that way, not counting disk corruption and the like.

Legacy_Malagant

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 06:11:11 am »

A bit rate of an audio file at 128 kbs is approxinately 1/10 the bitrate of a cd. I'm not sure what you were expecting. Unfortunately, "the industry" kept insisting this was a prime bitrate at the time NWN came out.

We know that was a lie because most audio these days is 320 kbs (and "the industry" is still sticking to constant over variable bitrate for streaming and digital because consumers think they are getting better at a constant 320 even if much of that bitrate is completely wasted on segments where it wasn't needed). It's an improvement, though still considerably less than a cd.

The only time you're going to get CD quality is in a lossless format and the only time you're going to get degredation outside of what Tchos covered is if you reencode at the same bitrate more than once with a lossy format. Each time you encode, more information gets tossed out leading to a poorer quality resulting file.

Legacy_Tarot Redhand

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 12:34:35 pm »

A bmu file is simply a mono mp3 file with 8 bytes inserted at the beginning. You can check this by opening the vlc media player and using drag and drop of any bmu file onto vlc. VLC will then open and play that file.

TR

Legacy_Proleric

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:49:03 am »

Yes, Windows Media Player does that too, now (on Windows 7, at any rate).