Author Topic: Project Q v2.1  (Read 7131 times)

Legacy_Pstemarie

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2015, 12:00:53 pm »

OK, I've, as PHoD would say, "hit the..." first PLT texture "...with a brick" and come up with the following. On the right is the original, left is the modified (sharpen mask +40, contrast mask +15). Thoughts, comments...

compare_zpsfcimuuns.jpg

I also seem to recall someone was going to take a look at Gunner's models - OTR I think it was. I'll have to look into that.

Legacy_SHOVA

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2015, 12:35:21 pm »

Maybe I am too old- but I can not tell a difference. By the way, his nipples are showing!  ':lol:'

Thanks for the reply about the mill- it makes a lot more sense now. I'll have to see if I can incorporate the lever into the CNR system.

Legacy_Surek

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2015, 03:29:04 pm »

I would have to agree with Shova I see no difference at all.  I'm happy with everything that gets put into Q.

Legacy_boodah83

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2015, 09:04:51 pm »

There is a difference; left one's skin is a little lighter and the contours a little darker. I think it's an improvement.

Legacy_Pstemarie

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2015, 10:02:45 pm »

Its subtle and I'd really like to the avoid the over-the-top "definition" used by BioWare on their original textures. To me the Bioware textures look like a blob of dark lines feebly attempting to force a three dimensional appearance to whatever they are painted over. I spent a good portion of today looking at images of male upper torsos - real and artistic - and none of what I saw even comes close to BioWares forced definition. Indeed, the textures Gunner used are much closer in definition and shadowing to the images I looked through.

Legacy_Hekatoncheires

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2015, 11:32:32 pm »

Hrm. I'll give some thoughts; Im not sure Im capable of pulling punches with a critique, so, please bear with me, my intent is not to insult.

Im not going to quibble about about the models; I sort of like the feet but I have a poor assessment of the rest of them. So, I will focus on texture.

Part of what makes the original bioware parts work is that the definitions of muscle sort of over the top, like theater makeup; it makes it read more clearly from a distance. The NWN lighting system is also not terribly advanced, so you're not gonna get great turning-of-the-form from simple light on the model; it needs to be done with the texture itself.

How to accomplish this? Example, toes. Darken the edges to imply a turning of form, or darken the toes outright to imply the bloodflow to that region of the body. Gunnar's shading is minimal and it reads terribly in the engine; a more extreme contrast shift is needed.

Also, note that in the originals, there is a lot of muscular definition; it FEELS like there is muscle over bone. The texture exaggerates the musculature, the extensors and flexors in the forearm for example.

Legacy_Pstemarie

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2015, 11:57:59 pm »

Hrm. I'll give some thoughts; Im not sure Im capable of pulling punches with a critique, so, please bear with me, my intent is not to insult.

Im not going to quibble about about the models; I sort of like the feet but I have a poor assessment of the rest of them. So, I will focus on texture.

Part of what makes the original bioware parts work is that the definitions of muscle sort of over the top, like theater makeup; it makes it read more clearly from a distance. The NWN lighting system is also not terribly advanced, so you're not gonna get great turning-of-the-form from simple light on the model; it needs to be done with the texture itself.

How to accomplish this? Example, toes. Darken the edges to imply a turning of form, or darken the toes outright to imply the bloodflow to that region of the body. Gunnar's shading is minimal and it reads terribly in the engine; a more extreme contrast shift is needed.

Also, note that in the originals, there is a lot of muscular definition; it FEELS like there is muscle over bone. The texture exaggerates the musculature, the extensors and flexors in the forearm for example.

Texture work, like I said. Keep in mind though that I'm no texture artist. The majority of the texture work I do centers around modifying existing work. You seem to have a good handle on what you're looking for - might be worthwhile for you to give it a whack.

Models - sounds like you feel they're too rounded. I wonder what they'd look like with the poly-count reduced a bit. Something to consider in the future, but I've got other things to make/fix.

Legacy_Jedijax

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2015, 05:30:57 am »

I do see the difference, and I think it is for the best, however, as far as modifications and good intentions may go, I believe a completely new one would be needed in order to make a real change. Now, we also have to take style and taste into consideration. The texture is definitely simple, but the models aren't objectively "good" or "bad". I think they just portray a more natural, regular look, in contrast to the more "ripped-cut" style some other works go for. If you can do it, Paul, and you're satisfied with it, I am all for it. You're not the content creator, and it's not your responsibility to upgrade this particular addition. I think what Heka was not so happy about was their inclusion in Project Q. In all honesty, my selection is a mix and match of different hak projects which include at least the previous feet and shins from Q, which were defined, correctly UVMapped, and smaller than other options. I don't remember if the torso was the one created by Ragnarok for his ACP suite, but that's the one I use, the modified version without shoulders. As for limbs, I use... uh... I think his name was Xaltar? This guy who made a rework of anatomies and some heads that are very high quality in my opinion. Finally, I prefer Kuraryu's hands.

See, I wish I could help more, but I am no content creator. I can do basic model and texture modifications, same as most of you guys, which is why I say I don't think a simple texture modification can help definition in the new models. All I can do is share what I've found to work best for me. Oh! Also, If OldTimeRadio is around, he had some neat ideas on fully-skinmeshed anatomies.

Legacy_RansomR

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2015, 07:31:31 am »

@Pstemarie - I see you're working on the TNO Castle Exterior, Rural titleset and I don't know if you noticed but some of the road tiles are missing the correct imagines for the minimap.

Legacy_Pstemarie

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2015, 10:43:35 am »

@Pstemarie - I see you're working on the TNO Castle Exterior, Rural titleset and I don't know if you noticed but some of the road tiles are missing the correct imagines for the minimap.

Minimaps are on the list - albeit, near the bottom. I prefer to make them in large batches, rather than piecemeal them out in small groups. If its specific tiles you're looking for right now, shoot me a PM with the tile names and I'll rip some maps for you.

Legacy_RansomR

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2015, 11:25:33 am »

Well, the tiles are the road ones and them ending abruptly on the mini-map isn't pretty. Anyways, I've sent you a PM with the tiles. Thank you in advance!

Legacy_Pstemarie

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2015, 06:02:49 pm »

Well, the tiles are the road ones and them ending abruptly on the mini-map isn't pretty. Anyways, I've sent you a PM with the tiles. Thank you in advance!

Should be all fixed now. I still have other minimaps to make - so if you or ANYONE else see any more that need fixing let me know. 

Legacy_Drewskie

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2015, 07:23:46 pm »

Q creature models, both beasts and npcs, are all quite excellent and light years away from vanilla nwn.  However, there is one left that still bothers me... the Vrock.  And it appears frequently in game too as the object of greater planar binding and as a blackguard summons.  Don't know if you are looking at beasties anymore, but the Vrock needs alot of help.

Legacy_Pstemarie

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2015, 07:44:04 pm »

He's been upgraded a bit, but short of a complete rework there isn't much that can help him I'm afraid.

Legacy_Pstemarie

Project Q v2.1
« Reply #194 on: November 13, 2015, 10:55:24 am »

The Project Q Minimap Project is underway. Once everything is all said and done, ALL minimaps will use the texture set currently used on the tileset - in other words, you won't have map images in which one block stands out from the rest because it was created with an older rendering. Currently, you see this with Gaoeng's interior tiles which were added to Castle Interior 2 and City Interior 2 - the minimaps do not match up with the other minimaps, easily standing out when the PC views the map in game. The new minimaps will fix this.

Also, BUILDERS - NWN Tool is an excellent little utility for looking at all the area minimaps in your module and seeing which ones have minimap issues. It's what I've been using to quickly discover which tiles need their minimaps redone.