Author Topic: Ripples on water from footsteps  (Read 499 times)

Legacy_henesua

Ripples on water from footsteps
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:41:10 pm »

Using neverblender (and several other trusty tools) I am extending Six's Wildland's tileset with some groups for the sea terrain, and the dock/pier crossers.

I like that the water is walkable, but noticed something weird. The footstep ripples do not appear on the water mesh, but instead show up on the ground mesh of the sea tiles. This could be the WOK mesh since the ground mesh and the WOK mesh are at the same height. All of the materials are set as I want them on the WOK mesh. So this is definitely walkable water.

Question:
How do you indicate which mesh the ripples should appear on?

Modifié par henesua, 30 juillet 2013 - 07:42 .

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:11:55 pm »

<radiating...>

As I understand it, the ripple effect is placed at the location of the model origin (0,0,0), so it will always be applied to the WOK.

Could be wrong, though...

<...from the origin>

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:08:43 pm »

<watching the topic...>

Speaking of interesting impact effects from the surfacemat.2da...
Where is the StoneBridge material used and what exactly does the fx do? It *looks* like it emits small stone chunks (complete with mass 1 and bounce) from under the bridge... But I couldn't find a tile that uses this material (introduced in HotU patch).
Anyone know?

<...expand like ripples on a... heh>

Legacy_Michael DarkAngel

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:40 pm »

I could be wrong, but it sounds like the wrong mesh is linked to the tile's animation dummy.

'Image
 MDA

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:58:40 pm »

Michael DarkAngel wrote...

I could be wrong, but it sounds like the wrong mesh is linked to the tile's animation dummy.

I'll figure out what that means soon enough.

I plan on comparing six's wildlands water terrain with tom banjo's swamp and rosenkrantz's immersive swamps. both of those seem to get ripples in the right places if I recall correctly.

With regards to the stone bridge material that Rolo asked about above, MDA. Did you use such a thing in your city bridge extension to TCN?

Legacy_Michael DarkAngel

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 01:01:17 am »

henesua wrote...

Michael DarkAngel wrote...

I'll figure out what that means soon enough.

Look at the way everything is linked to the modelbase.  Everything should be linked to the modelbase, with at the very least one exception.  That being the mesh that is your water plane.  That mesh should be linked to an animation dummy such as "tilename"_a (replace "tilename" with your tile's name, of course).

henesua wrote...

With regards to the stone bridge material that Rolo asked about above, MDA. Did you use such a thing in your city bridge extension to TCN?

No I didn't.  I want to say the reason I didn't is because at the time the newer walkmesh materials were not part of nwMax.  And if that's not the case, then I just don't remember why I didn't ':bandit:'

'Image
 MDA

Legacy__six

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:34:45 am »

IIRC ripples appear 1 metre higher than the walkmesh? In Wild Woods, which has really shallow water, they appear above the water plane.

Rolo Kipp wrote...

Where is the StoneBridge material used and what exactly does the fx do? It *looks* like it emits small stone chunks (complete with mass 1 and bounce) from under the bridge... But I couldn't find a tile that uses this material

The TNO road over sea cliffs uses it as I recall.

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 03:17:00 pm »

<measuring...>

That reinforces my impression that they are base-applied fx. The 1m offset is probably built into the splash fx, so it should be possible to define a new "shallow water" material, a new "shallow splash" fx and have the ripple appear in the right place.
Edit: fx_step_splash has no offset for the emitter. So it is being positioned by the engine when applied (via a "detonate" trigger, incidently. Odd.). Next thing to look at is what is the engine using to determine height? The Z of the first vertex of a water plane?

Will peek at the sea cliffs today :-)
Edit: Curiouser and curiouser. I have now looked at all the 1.69 patch & HotU set files and can not see StoneBridge material used in any of them. The fx_step_stbrdg does indeed drop small chunks of stone, so it would be a subtle add to ruins or old stone bridges... 

Would be very interested in finding a tile this was used on. 
Or seeing what happens if someone does a quick TNO01_g01 (series) override to test it :-)

<...difficulty>

Modifié par Rolo Kipp, 31 juillet 2013 - 04:40 .

Legacy_Zwerkules

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 09:03:17 pm »

Rolo Kipp wrote...

<measuring...>

That reinforces my impression that they are base-applied fx. The 1m offset is probably built into the splash fx, so it should be possible to define a new "shallow water" material, a new "shallow splash" fx and have the ripple appear in the right place.
Edit: fx_step_splash has no offset for the emitter. So it is being positioned by the engine when applied (via a "detonate" trigger, incidently. Odd.). Next thing to look at is what is the engine using to determine height? The Z of the first vertex of a water plane?

Will peek at the sea cliffs today :-)
Edit: Curiouser and curiouser. I have now looked at all the 1.69 patch & HotU set files and can not see StoneBridge material used in any of them. The fx_step_stbrdg does indeed drop small chunks of stone, so it would be a subtle add to ruins or old stone bridges... 

Would be very interested in finding a tile this was used on. 
Or seeing what happens if someone does a quick TNO01_g01 (series) override to test it :-)

<...difficulty>

I tested this with my rural tileset which has rivers with depth ranging from about half a meter to 1.5 meters and the splash effect is always at the right height, so the engine must have a way to tell where the top of the water mesh is. It also works for very shallow puddles. I've also made some rapids where the water is flowing downhill and the top of the water mesh doesn't always have the same height and it still works, more or less because the splash effect is not parallel to the ground.

The StoneBridge material is used for the stone bridges that you can place across sea cliff terrain in the TNO tileset. Why were you looking for a material in the set file?

Edit: A walkmesh face that uses material id 6 (walkable water) has to be completely below the water mesh. In Sixes wildlands tilesets some of the faces at the edge of the water are half inside the walter and half outside of it.

Modifié par Zwerkules, 31 juillet 2013 - 08:15 .

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 09:35:30 pm »

<just not...>

Ok, Walk me through this.

I ran a road across the TNO cliffs to make the bridges:
'Image
I tested this in game and got no fx for falling chunks walking across.

Opened explorer to look at the tiles (tno01_g01+ series):
'Image
and their WOK (ascii):
'Image

Nowhere do I see a StoneBridge material defined or assigned.

On an off-chance I thought I'd check the set files (all of them) to see if a Stone Bridge terrain type had been defined:
'Image

So what tile is using this and how can I 1) test it myself in game and 2) see the material applied in explorer? Or Max?

<...seeing it>

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 09:42:38 pm »

What about the other bridges, Rolo? The ones that look natural?

As far as seeing the material, I'd just search all the WOKs for the correct material index. With notepad++ you can do a batch find on all files in a folder. Don't know if these were compiled though....

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 09:47:05 pm »

Zwerkules wrote...
Edit: A walkmesh face that uses material id 6 (walkable water) has to be completely below the water mesh. In Sixes wildlands tilesets some of the faces at the edge of the water are half inside the walter and half outside of it.

But the sea tiles which only have three meshes water, ground, and aabb, it still doesn't work.

So my question: how does one do this correctly?

I assume that you need an empty with filename+"a".
And in this group is the mesh for the water plane.

What aurora properties do I attach to the water plane?
What aurora properties do I attach to the filename+"a" mesh?

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 10:15:55 pm »

<trying hard...>

henesua wrote...
What about the other bridges, Rolo? The ones that look natural?

Tile name helps :-P Not sure which ones you're talking about...

As far as seeing the material, I'd just search all the WOKs for the correct material index.
With notepad++ you can do a batch find on all files in a folder. Don't know if these were compiled though....

Yeah, that finds quite a few "RockBridge" materials (didn't see *that* one defined), but they seem to all be applied to solid structures (no space underneath for the chunks to fall through).

No "StoneBridge" though. And the WOKs are not compiled. Just dumped the whole shebang in my "Ripples" folder and searched all 3K+ WOKs in the 1.69 patch :-P

<...not to obsess>

Legacy_Zwerkules

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 10:16:51 pm »

@Henesua: The animation node is just a dummy without any properties.
Depending on the tileset you need to activate 'rotate texture' for the water plane.

@Rolo: Look at tno01_v11_01 for example or any similar tiles. Look at the WOK with a text editor and you'll see material 22 used for many of the faces.

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 10:22:01 pm »

Rolo, the material is specified by number not name. Look for something like "0   0   0   22". You'll need to configure your regex to allow for a mixed number of spaces between the numbers.

Thanks, Zwerkules. When I get back in blender today, I'll check that out.