Author Topic: February 2013 Custom Content Challenge: Plants  (Read 1223 times)

Legacy_The Amethyst Dragon

February 2013 Custom Content Challenge: Plants
« on: February 01, 2013, 06:10:44 pm »

This month's challenge is "Plants":

Plants set the stage in most D&D games, from lush jungles to parched desert to twisted dark forests. Ruined buildings covered in vines, yew trees (gotta make longbows from something), farm fields with crop circles, animated giant carnivorous plant creatures (or placeables), new plant creatures, triggers for around exotic flowers that inflict special pollen-based effects on characters, spells that affect plants or summon walls of dense vegetation, sounds of wind blowing through a forest's trees, an improved visual effect for Entangle, new plant visual effects, prefab quests that involve finding/harvesting/saving/destroying/etc. some sort of rare plant, prefab plant placeables that can be sources of fruit or rare sap needed for the king's nightly drink, a tileset set completely attop a giant tree (or several giant trees) where the ground is not visible below.

This theme was suggested by The Amethyst Dragon.

Guidelines:
  • It must be fully working in game.
  • Use of vanilla NWN or publicly available texture is fine, though state-of-the-art amateur's work would require 100% original work, but that's up to you.
  • Teamwork is welcome.
  • Beginners most welcome, don't be afraid, just try, you'll be surprised!
  • All submissions must be finished, working, and emailed to NWNCCCMakers@gmail.com (or a non-Vault link provided) by March 1st, 2013 at 10 AM EST. Sooner than that is perfectly fine too. ;-)

Somethings you could include in the download/email that would make packaging everything up easier and faster:
  • 2da lines needed.
  • Screenshot *from in game* for use on the vault page (this also gives me hints on how to display the new goodie).
  • Portraits (if needed) of your new goodie. ** Placeables and monsters should include a portrait. **
  • Inventory icons (if needed) of your new goodie.
  • Any credits you would like listed.
  • If this is your first entry, please tell me what name you would like your work listed under and provide a link to your other NWN content if you want that displayed as well (the link bit is totally optional).
  • Also if you would like an invite to the CC Makers group, send Rolo Kipp a friend invite. The group is nothing spectacular, mostly just documentation on 2da lines.
  • If you are doing tileset content, *please* let me know ahead of time so I can get you the set and itp files to work with. I’m horrible at merging those so this bit you will need to provide.
Remember, the Challenge is all about fun, sharing, creativity and surprise!

If you have concerns/questions about this month’s Challenge please post in this thread.

If you want to discuss the Monthly Custom Content Challenge idea as a whole or wish to submit ideas/themes for future monthly Challenges, please post in its thread here
***When submitting a new theme, please provide a title and short summary of the theme.***

If you have a technical question about some custom content creation, please create a separate thread so that the answers can be found later by anyone, not just people interested in this Challenge. We'll try to help!

Have no fear and join the fun!

And finally, you can: 

Submit theme suggestions.
Vote for March's theme.
Email content to: NWNCCCMakers@gmail.com

Legacy_Cestus Dei

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 06:54:42 pm »

Heh.

Thet wizard's nae content ta make me raise - *an'* clean up behind - 87 models last month.

This month *he* wants ta jump in with three different projects all while hoggin' tha Soulforge fer his ABC module - Forrestals (Dreamwalker, Elder, Runner, Strider, Walkabout), Seaweed (at least 3 varieties) *and* a bit of a secret project enhancin' Lord Sullivan's Low-poly trees

Well.

We'll see what we see.

But we'll see summat o' thet ale and gold, first, wizard.

Indeedy deed!

Modifié par Cestus Dei, 01 février 2013 - 06:56 .

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:17:04 pm »

Im planning to implement few plant-based spells from DnD manual.

Blight: Withers one plant or deals 1d6/level damage to plant creature.
Command Plants: Sway the actions of one or more plant creatures.
Control Plants: Control actions of one or more plant creatures.
Shambler: Summons 1d4+2 shambling mounds to fight for you. (if doesnt mind that the spell will use model already at vault? unless someone makes a new one for CCC)

and also spore-based special abilities intented for mykonids.

some ideas for other builders:
- seed-spitting plant creatures or at least the projectile for that
- new plant entangling/grappling visual effect
- plant entangling trap
- lianas placeables for jungle tilesets (to allow climb to upper platforms)
- overgrown bush placeables to block movement
- placeable plant creatures with activate animation to simulate some kind of attack - spore, spit, entangle?
- woodmining animations for player characters - lumbering, sawing...
':wizard:'

Modifié par ShaDoOoW, 01 février 2013 - 07:19 .

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 08:48:22 pm »

If I can get to it, I'll export my terrain scripts for brambles and grass, and pack them with the trigger blueprints that makes them easy to implement.

The inspiration for creating them in the first place was _six's wildwoods tileset which has many shrubs that you can just walk right through. I like that _six allowed for freedom of movement because it enables much more interesting game play if you are willing to lay some triggers. Another good tileset for this is Lord Rosenkranz's immersive swamp which has very tall grass.

There are plant placeables that allow you to walk through them as well. But those might be best handled as an AOE, and I am not keep on developing that this time around UNLESS I finish my ABC module early.

Modifié par henesua, 01 février 2013 - 08:49 .

Legacy_Tarot Redhand

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:00:49 pm »

Can I make a request for some giant man-eating carnivorous plants other than the shambling mound. While there is a giant sundew on the vault, that looks to be about it. For example how about a Venus Man-Trap (giant venus flytrap)?

TR

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:03:51 pm »

ShadowM has a plants entry that is worth review.

BUT I agree that we need more plant monsters and specially designed placeables with attack animations like ShaDoOoW mentions above.

It would be very cool to design a carnivorous stump placeable which acts a bit like Borden's cabinets/wardrobes.

Legacy_KlatchainCoffee

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 09:44:21 pm »

I second the carnivorous plant idea, giant Venus flytraps, things that lash at you, things to which you get stuck and slowly digested, things that grow around you and trap you in a particular space.

Possible magic effects:

stuck to the plant/place with slow health drain.

Put to sleep on contact (flower pollen?).

Other mind-affecting properties on contact.

Poison attacks.

Things that run after you and physically attack you and then once you kill them generate a number of small sprouts with low damage and very fast movement speed.

Old Man Willow: a sinister-looking tree that appears to be a container, but traps you once you try to 'use' it (someone already did stocks where you could stick a PC in?).

Plants that make you itch on contact (an itcing animation + a chance of a temporary dexterity reduction).

These can come with fruit items that offer mild beneficial effects (e.g. berries that give +1 healing or 'expedious retreat' effect or cure poison or disease.) These can spawn inside various fruited plants.

TREES

Really tall trees.

Fruit trees and berry bushes. A variety of fruited and flowered trees and large shrubs.

Better looking dryads.

Legacy_Shemsu-Heru

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 09:57:12 pm »

Yeah, carnivore plant

'Posted

Fallout 2 spore spitting plant.

'Posted

And what about a better looking Dryad, like this one from the expansion of "Spellforce":

'Posted

Modifié par Shemsu-Heru, 01 février 2013 - 09:58 .

Legacy_ShadowM

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:02:50 pm »

Yeah I did some plants, but that was awhile ago. I need to update them and make more. I do have a few plants things around  not released and asked Zwerkules if I can make his brambles into placables with different versions.  From this thread
Link

Stuff unreleased Damm so long since I link a pic sorry hehe
'Posted

Modifié par ShadowM, 01 février 2013 - 10:21 .

Legacy_Shemsu-Heru

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 10:25:30 pm »

Ravenloft vampire roses? Those are white roses, but when its spines hurt a creature, it drain his blood and turn the roses red.

What about a script that allows a (placeable or creature) plant, to drain HP from a character who is too close, that could also work for some kind of Dark Sun cactus which drain water from its victims in the same way; however in the case of vampire roses a red glowing VFX also would be great, when they'll drain HP....

Modifié par Shemsu-Heru, 01 février 2013 - 10:33 .

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 10:32:44 pm »

Shemsu-Heru wrote...

Ravenloft vampire roses? Those are white roses, but when its spines hurt a creature, it drain his blood and turn the roses red.

What about a script that allows a (placeable or creature) plant, to drain HP from a character who is too close, that could also work for some kid of Dark Sun cactus which drain water from its victims in the same way; however in the case of vampire roses a red glowing VFX also would be great, when they'll drain HP....

You could make such roses a bush with white flowers, and mirrored underneath the ground level (or even something like 50 meters below ground) is the same but with red flowers.  Default/off animation is white, active/on the thing flips in a single frame to red (so it just looks like they changed).

Would be easier than trying to make a VFX to match up with multiple flowers.

Modifié par The Amethyst Dragon, 01 février 2013 - 10:33 .

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:16 pm »

<hiding the ace of...>

I think I would double each flower with one white and one a rich textured red (slightly larger). Then I'd animate the alpha instead.  This would allow a little dangly in the branches :-)...

Doable, I think. :-)

<...spades up his sleeve>

Legacy_Shemsu-Heru

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 10:55:44 pm »

@The Amethyst Dragon & Rolo Kipp: Those are good ideas perhaps I could try to make it; however I don't know too much about animation, and also it's the problem to make it able to drain HP from NPCs. 

In the other hand I had thought in try to make a dryad override...
However I still have another pending projects; So I don't Know....

Excuse AD, I have to ask; What happens with my suggestion of a Dragonlace challenge, I had done it in the last month but it's not available in this month poll...

Modifié par Shemsu-Heru, 01 février 2013 - 10:59 .

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 11:00:41 pm »

Shemsu - if you need scripting help on your submittal, I would be happy to help you implement something like HP drain from a vampire rose attack.

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 11:10:56 pm »

Shemsu-Heru wrote...
Excuse AD, I have to ask; What happens with my suggestion of a Dragonlace challenge, I had done it in the last month but it's not available in this month poll...

Not every suggestion makes it to the poll right after it's suggested.  The dragonlance one is on my list of "not yet polled" themes.  We didn't have any 0-vote "orphan" themes in the last poll, so only one new option was added ("grubby") to replace the one that was used (this one).  I'm currently sticking to 13 themes per poll, just to keep to a reasonable number.