Author Topic: Trouble downloading files from the Vault?  (Read 566 times)

Legacy_Frith5

Trouble downloading files from the Vault?
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:46:45 pm »

Everytime I click to download a file from NWVault, it tries to read the compressed file instead, displaying gibberish and failing to download.

I've tried with a bunch of files, with the same result.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks,

JFK

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:50:11 pm »

<covered in...>

Due to hardware problems, I am in the process of downloading *all* of the past CCC files.

Going hot & heavy for the last few hours. No problems... but then, I always right-click to "save link as" and put it where I want it, rather than blanket D/L into the Download directory. Saves a step, IMO.

<...static>

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:57:47 pm »

Yes the trick is to right click and "save link as".

I had run into the problem you describe when using OS X before, yet never with Windows XP (but then I typically right-click when I use XP out of habit due to its crappy file mapping). I suspect it has something to do with the way the vault's server communicate's MIME type, and for some reason certain file types translate as Web Pages to display rather than as files to download.

Legacy_Master Jax

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 07:41:27 am »

I have experienced the same issue, and even though I figured out the "save link as" trick, I still think the matter should be addressed so as to avoid anymore confusion!

Legacy_Vivienne L

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:06:19 am »

Yes, I noticed this problem too and thought something was messed up in my browser and was using the "save link as" trick!

Legacy_Fester Pot

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:12:11 pm »

I noticed this about two days ago myself. Clicking on a file no longer works but as already mentioned, right-click and Save As still does.

FP!

Legacy_OldTimeRadio

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 06:39:53 pm »

FWIW I shot Maximus an e-mail about this issue a few minutes ago just in case no one had yet.

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 07:11:04 pm »

Does Maximus have access to server configuration? I caution you about expecting too much here. My guess is that this might be a much older issue than you realize. I believe Internet Explorer had a work around to undeclared Mime Types just as ancient browsers (circa 1999) did, but that all standards compliant browsers such as those that use Webkit (Chrome, Safari) or Gecko (Firefox) do not. I think that is the problem. Not that the server suddenly stopped declaring Mime Type because in my experience it never did.

Perhaps less of you are using IE - which is based on the old Mosaic, and thus has preferences for declaring file handling rather than a means to respond to a server declaring mime type.

Legacy_OldTimeRadio

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 07:52:03 pm »

I use Firefox and I regularly download stuff from the Vault.  About 3-5 or so days ago (about the same time Fester mentioned he saw it happen), I noticed the issue as well.  So at least from my standpoint this is a new issue I haven't seen before.

As far as Maximus having access to server configuration...if he doesn't directly, I'm sure he knows who to contact to investigate the issue.  Last time I checked, he was the head producer for the entire Vault network along with being the senior manager at the IGN Pro League.

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 08:05:25 pm »

Interesting. I have noticed this issue as long as I have used the vault with a webkit based browser yet never with IE.

Anyway, I didn't realize Maximus was so "highly placed". That is promising.

Legacy_kalbaern

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 08:31:49 pm »

I just tested and all my usuall haks, overrides, etc... have no issues. Other than when I click on a link to a PDF or other document files along with some downloads that are executables, I've never had this issue and still don't. I checked mainly older downloads I have booked marked, but not anything recently added however.

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 08:32:50 pm »

Kal - what browser are you using?

Legacy_Frith5

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 10:17:47 pm »

The thing is, just as OldTimeRadio has experienced, I download things from the Vault regularly, without this issue. I did so less than two weeks ago, in fact. I first noticed the issue clicking a link to a Vault file, then the same issue directly from the Vault page. I've used Firefox on the Vault many times without issue. It seems, from those traits, to be something new at least for me. Of course, something could have changed on my end, but even so it's something new.
I emailed Maximus the moment I realized it was happening, using the Vault's email. He hasn't responded.
Actually, the right-click, save as technique wasn't working for me either. However, today it is. *eyebrow*

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 11:29:02 pm »

I don't think it would be much of a change on your end unless you are switching browser. Anyway, all of this suggests that something did change at the vault. But thats odd to me since I know the Vault has not communicated all MIME types correctly for all the years I have used it.

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 11:45:48 pm »

I just tried downloading and had no trouble, Nothing has changed on my computer. At least with the .zip files I tried to download.   The real question is what is the file extension that you are tring to download from the vault?  If you all are using Win 7, Im Still on XP, It could be something as simple as a recent Windows update associating the extention with another program.