Author Topic: mini map hide disabled  (Read 626 times)

Legacy_nwnsmith

mini map hide disabled
« on: March 20, 2012, 05:51:29 am »

I am using CEP for a module and the feature 2x2 homes do not hide by default nor do they respond to scripting that hides area map for players. Is this something that I can edit via the .set file in a text editor? If so can anyone point me in the right direction? It is also annoying to walk into one room and see the contents of all others within this map. 

Thanks so much!!!

Legacy_Karvon

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:03 am »

There are several options you can pursue.

One, use a hak pack which blanks minimaps.  One I've used and liked in the past is...
http://nwvault.ign.c....Detail&id=6097

Two, in the toolset, set the area as an outdoor one, as that reduces the range of revealed map compared to interior areas.  That can impact, however on some skills and feats.

Three, use a script to reblank the map at regular intervals. I've seen this sort of thing done on a number of PWs.  One such script can be found at...
http://nwvault.ign.c....Detail&id=3816

regards

Karvon

Legacy_henesua

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 03:16:05 pm »

I am more interested in learning how this can be done by editing the tileset.

Legacy_nwnsmith

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:18 pm »

Yes as genesis said I am interested in editing the tileset. The option above will not work. When I script the area to reblank the map nothing happens. You enter the map with the entire area revealed and nothing you do in game changes that. My guess is that only editing the tileset can fix this. Thank you for the suggestions though.

Legacy_henesua

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:53:13 pm »

I am currently having this issue with Lord of Worms' Fantasy Interiors. The doors in that tileset have a couple issues, one which is that they do not hide the unexplored areas from players. I bet he solved this issue in his PW's haks. I'll PM him and if I learn anything about how the issue is solved, I'll post the answer here.

Legacy_Lord Sullivan

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:23:24 am »

Any interior areas that make up an open room for the player will always be revealed as the PC enters
that area. For instance, if you have two rooms that separated by a doorway, if there is no door or the
door is opened, well when the PC enters by "The Entrance of that Area" the two rooms will be cleared of the "Fog of War" (Black darkness) and so will the map. But, if the door of the doorway separating the two rooms is closed? then the only room that will be immediately revealed to the PC is the room that has an entrance connected to an outgoing area. Same in the mini map.

Legacy_nwnsmith

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 03:27:30 am »

yes, that is how areas normally work but not in this tileset. In this area none of the rooms are conjoined. They are separated by wall terrain and none have doorways that lead to each other. but there is no "fog of War" on either the areas themselves or the mini map.

Legacy_Karvon

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 06:40:57 pm »

Well, another option, which I made a number of years ago as hak, I suppose you could use.  I included a doc file explaining how I implemented it with the tile sets I altered.

http://nwvault.ign.c...d=30761&id=6850

Karvon

Legacy_henesua

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:33 pm »

Karvon, I've done that before too. And it makes much sense for certain tilesets. But I hope that someone like Bannor speaks up here because I suspect that he or someone knows how to set up a tileset so that the minimap stops at interior doors.

I noticed that the Fort Interior also has this problem of revealing the minimap past closed doors. At least I am noticing this in testing mode. I have not yet checked to see that if actual play is different.

Legacy_Karvon

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 08:56:16 pm »

One potential problem with hak based blanking options is it impacts the DM as well. It's rather annoying in such cases.  One work around is to use a dummy hak to avoid the blanking effect.

Karvon

Legacy_wyldhunt1

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 09:15:34 pm »

If anyone figures out how to fix this, I'd also be interested in knowing how.
We use these same tilesets. I'm sure one of the tileset guru's around here must know why they are acting this way...

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 05:03:27 pm »

<walking down...>

I suspect it may have something to do with the path nodes on the door tile.

I noticed while building the vault door (which also wrongly reveals the interior when the vault is closed) that the tile I copied from had an 'A' path node but didn't seem to have any way to change the door node... i.e. typing "I" into the box seems to do nothing and there is no dropdown to select a door node.

'Image

I am nowhere near confident enough to experiment with it in a GFF editor, but I suspect that is the problem.  

The Bioware tileset tutorial says (among other things) that

3. The last is a door node. When doors occur somewhere in the middle of a tile and
effectively changes the path node style when they are closed, it gets entered here. If there
are no doors or the doors are only meant for changing areas, feel free to skip this entry.

<...a primrose path>

Modifié par Rolo Kipp, 25 mars 2012 - 04:09 .

Legacy_ehye_khandee

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 07:22:24 pm »

Just a note, the scripting method works, this is a script we've used for years. It may be in the implementation - how did you implement yours?

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA

http://playnwn.com

Legacy_Zwerkules

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 07:32:19 pm »

I inlcuded this picture of the pathnodes I got from Bannor so you can see what the pathnodes look like:

'Image

Rolo, door visibility is used like this:
If you have for example a corridor and there's a door in the middle of the corridor, the path node is L and the door visibility has to be Y so you can't see what's on the other side of the door when it is closed.

Another example:
You have two corridors crossing. The path node is A. There's a door that can block off access to the corridor to the left, then the door visibility has to be U.
Note that a tile can have more than one door, but only one door visibility node. The whole door visibility stuff also only works for tileset specific doors.

Modifié par Zwerkules, 25 mars 2012 - 06:48 .

Legacy_Rolo Kipp

mini map hide disabled
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 07:55:01 pm »

<nodding...>

Yes, I understand how they're *supposed* to work. For example, on the Vault Tile, a north/south wall to the east with the door in the middle, the door node should be I.

But how do you set that door node? It will not save in the SetEditor v.85b.
As I understand it, I'll have to go into a GFF editor and figure out where to put it in the .set file manually. A bit much for me at the moment ;-(

<...in understated understanding>