Author Topic: Community Patch discussion and development thread  (Read 20339 times)

Legacy_Gruftlord

Community Patch discussion and development thread
« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2013, 09:08:20 pm »

could someone be so kind as to answer a few questions for me?

currently i have the latest release candidate (V2) of 1.71 installed and working.
i'm trying to find out how much 2da merging and hak editing i have to do for various situations.

say i have a module that uses CEP (lets assume v2.3). will i benefit from all the spell and class changes and other client side changes?
or do i need to merge the 2das and put them in my CEP custom hak? how mayn of the spell and feat changes are overwritten by the CEP?

and what is with old modules from the vault? it says in the description that scripts in the module will overwrite the fixes/take precendence over CPP. under what circumstances are those scripts in there anyway? all vanilla scripts all the time, and i basically have to update every mod myself?
or are only those scripts packed inside a module, which have been changed specifically for said module (i.e. usually only very few changes to base spells)?

from the wiki about CPP i figured nothing will break i any case (at least this is supposed to be that way). i.e. if the module/hak contains a custom overwrite, this will work as always, and just not benefit from any new changes/fixes. does this still hold true?

edit: if i use the 2damerger and use first "replace only vanilla" and then try to use "hak version" the merger aborts and the appearence.2da is messed up at the first column in line 307 (so first edit from hak merge script). did i do something wrong?

thank you very much and best regards
Gruftlord

Modifié par Gruftlord, 01 septembre 2013 - 08:20 .

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2013, 10:02:08 pm »

Gruftlord wrote...

could someone be so kind as to answer a few questions for me?

currently i have the latest release candidate (V2) of 1.71 installed and working.
i'm trying to find out how much 2da merging and hak editing i have to do for various situations.

hi, first of all, you dont have to ':wizard:' but if you want to get all CP changes working its quite a lot actually - but for this task there is Auto2DAMerger tool that should do that automatically - if you arent that type like me who needs control over this, if you are then you have to do it manually to easier maintain/see changes over vanilla and maybe decide to discard some of them

now to the questions:

say i have a module that uses CEP (lets assume v2.3). will i benefit from all the spell and class changes and other client side changes?

yes you should be automatically benefit from class/spell/feat changes and improvements because CEP doesnt use these 2DAs afaik - Ive already merged CEP2.4 2DAs for one builder, you can find it in project files

how mayn of the spell and feat changes are overwritten by the CEP?

CEP doesnt uses these 2DAs but if it was, then read my next answer

or do i need to merge the 2das and put them in my CEP custom hak?

for those 2DAs that CEP contains and which were changed, you should merge/re-apply CP changes in them and then place in cep2custom hak which should have top priority in your module hak list - alternatively you can place these 2da into any custom top hak you might have or even back to the any of the cep2top hak to avoid cep2custom if you have some reason to

and what is with old modules from the vault? it says in the description that scripts in the module will overwrite the fixes/take precendence over CPP. under what circumstances are those scripts in there anyway?

good question, mostly if the module creator changed some spells to deal more damage or changed behavior if caster wears item of specific tag - very rare but happens, not something you should be worry about as most bugs CP fixes are minor, merely visible or very specific.

all vanilla scripts all the time, and i basically have to update every mod myself?
or are only those scripts packed inside a module, which have been changed specifically for said module (i.e. usually only very few changes to base spells)

this, any script that is not in module is automatically loaded from data/patch_171.bif so if you feel its neccessary and I assure for random SP modules its definitely not - you have to manually update only scripts inside such module

from the wiki about CPP i figured nothing will break i any case (at least this is supposed to be that way). i.e. if the module/hak contains a custom overwrite, this will work as always, and just not benefit from any new changes/fixes. does this still hold true?

yes but there are special cases where its true only partially, say you have AD's first version of colored spell icons, but you still have default scroll icons-aka you dont have any custom spell icons  in your override - then after installing CP1.71 you might notice some of the scroll icons changed and now, since spell icons from your override are used, they dont match their counterpart as CP1.71 uses AD's gen2 spell icons and some of them are brand new - and scroll icons now reflect this.

edit: if i use the 2damerger and use first "replace only vanilla" and then try to use "hak version" the merger aborts and the appearence.2da is messed up at the first column in line 307 (so first edit from hak merge script). did i do something wrong?

you have to be carefull with this tool, its wasnt tested in every possible situation and the author lost source so he can't further support this tool - regarding your issue, its very probably limitation of the tool itself, sometimes its bugged and you should recheck if the outcome is okay. In case that not, try to "standardise" your 2da - remove empty line after columns definition, fix the row numbers (Im using 2daEdit 0.63 for that - after resacing automatically renumbers lines) etc... in case there is need to add new collumn, you have to do it manually this tool will not handle this...

anyway one word of caution woth hak version changes - if you dont use anything else than CEP, you can't use these changes, because clients need them too. It would make a incompatibility issues and players wouldnt be able to see for example "new" NPC models because their appearance.2da in CEP haks doesnt have them. A truly compatibility with CEP can be done only if CEP inherits the 2DA edits from CP and make a new version - which I fear never happens :innocent: (I approve that btw)

hope that answers most of your questions

Legacy_Gruftlord

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2013, 11:20:54 pm »

thank you for the explanation. much appreciated ShadoOow.
i don't intend to host any mods (aside from LAN maybe, where i will share my haks anyway). so i'm not afraid of client/server compatibility.
if i update my local CEP files, new creatures won't be supported by PWs anyway, so no issue if i have unsupported entries in there. pws with custom creatures will use custom 2das anyway.

so, in a singleplayer module merging the 2das, what kind of fixes could i expect?
and what kind of client side fixes will i get from merging, when on a PW? any visual improvements linked to that?
currently the merger edits the placables.2da and sets all lines static. what fix is this for?

and btw: i didn't see any changes to the scrolls. i use most icon replacers i could find on the vault, but whan i disabled them with the CPP active, some icons reverted to vanilla, the scrolls were amongst them.
spells, classes, domains and skills were changes. no redial menu icons, no 1.69 icons and no scrolls for me.
also, i found the big phenotypes were not supported with new hand meshes (but see my project post for links about that)
i haven't found a bif tool yet, so i couldn't check most of it myself. any suggestions?

Modifié par Gruftlord, 01 septembre 2013 - 10:39 .

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2013, 12:23:56 am »

EDIT: oh and btw there is a link to the unfinished documentation for 1.71 hope that helps. (red colored lines are those added in 1.71 version)

Gruftlord wrote...
so, in a singleplayer module merging the 2das, what kind of fixes could i expect?

thats a question that could take long to answer properly, so in brief:
- some AI issues - feats.2da causes some AI bugg - creatures stucking etc.
- some AI improvements - creatures will be able to use some feats (not exactly very popular change amongst builders btw - pm me for details if you are curious)
- some spell changes/corrections - possibility to use some creature abilities/class abilities under silence (AA arrows, etc), metamagic corrections (some spells cannot be when they should and vice versa), hostility fix for one or two spells...

and what kind of client side fixes will i get from merging, when on a PW? any visual improvements linked to that?

you mean - if you merge your own CEP2 haks, what could you expect? hmm i think that nothing, almost none of the client side fixes are 2da based, and those which are are in 2da that CEP2 doesnt use afaik, meaningless to do for a client, really

currently the merger edits the placables.2da and sets all lines static. what fix is this for?

Almost all 1.69 placeables are by default set in 2da to not static. I found out that in toolset when you are playing these placeables they are not static by default even when toolset might suggest that they are. This will not fix any already placed trees/other placeables from 1.69 but if you are starting a new module, you can take advantage of this.

and btw: i didn't see any changes to the scrolls. i use most icon replacers i could find on the vault, but whan i disabled them with the CPP active, some icons reverted to vanilla, the scrolls were amongst them.

yes, scrolls are still in vanilla style, but some of the spells has spell icon on scroll changed to match new spell icon from AD's gen2 icons.

also, i found the big phenotypes were not supported with new hand meshes (but see my project post for links about that)
i haven't found a bif tool yet, so i couldn't check most of it myself. any suggestions?

oh, just seen your post in my project forum (get no heads up about that so didnt noticed earlier) - i will respond there... But dont understand what you need bif tool for? Nwnexplorer should allow list the patch170/patch171.bif content normally if thats what you want.

Modifié par ShaDoOoW, 01 septembre 2013 - 11:34 .

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2013, 11:53:33 pm »

anyone tried the new classes? My first idea was to make them enabled in 2da and disabled by variable so player could toggle them on ingame using CP widget, but since the Eye of Gruumsh is unfinished and I havent added new spells/code for some of his feats I abadoned that idea. But its still a nice plan if players find this usefull.

Legacy_Cursed Eclipse

« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2013, 09:01:19 pm »

has this been reported yet? (1.69 - NO HAK or CEP)
'Posted

Modifié par Cursed Eclipse, 13 septembre 2013 - 08:37 .

Legacy_Zwerkules

« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2013, 09:28:58 am »

I looked for this tile, it is o16_01. The problem with the walkmesh shown in your screenshot is not the only one.
The part above the door is flat and set to no-walk. It should be raised and set to obsucring so archers placed up there can not see through the stone wall and shoot through it as well.
I'll fix it and send a copy of the file to Shadooow if he wants it.

Modifié par Zwerkules, 14 septembre 2013 - 08:50 .

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2013, 02:40:31 pm »

Zwerkules wrote...

I'll fix it and send a copy of the file to Shadooow if he wants it.

of course thanks for help bozh of you

and bump for my question with unlocked classes:police:

Legacy_Cursed Eclipse

« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2013, 03:21:39 pm »

ShaDoOoW wrote...
 I came across the unofficial ITAlian 1.69 translation:

http://nwvault.ign.c....Detail&id=1335
http://nwvault.ign.c....Detail&id=1385 - update

anyone knows whats the problem with the first one, or hat the updated one solves specifically?

No substantial difference, but even if valid, are both not very accurate.

Modifié par Cursed Eclipse, 14 septembre 2013 - 11:16 .

Legacy_Grani

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2013, 04:10:28 pm »

Hello ShaDoOoW!
Just a quick question, have you included spell fixes to support CEP weapons in 1.70 patch or not?
I'm talking about these: http://nwvault.ign.c....Detail&id=3503

Thanks.

PS: Maybe one more question, since I'm already on it - does 1.70 fix the bug of trident weapon focus not working?

Modifié par Grani, 16 septembre 2013 - 03:51 .

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2013, 05:25:35 pm »

Grani wrote...

Hello ShaDoOoW!
Just a quick question, have you included spell fixes to support CEP weapons in 1.70 patch or not?
I'm talking about these: http://nwvault.ign.c....Detail&id=3503

Thanks.

1) Flame weapon (and similar spells) can be cast on mauls (and other CEP weapons). 
- all weapon based spells in CP were modified to allow custom content weapons, its compatible not just with CEP weapons but any other since it reads informations from 2da

2) Bone medusas (and other CEP skeletal creatures) join the BioWare skeletal creatures in the "immune to petrification" club. 
- CP cannot suport this on a appearance ID basic but CP has a feature for a builder to mark a creature to be immune to pertrify and many other things via variable. All you need to do is to add this variable to your blueprints.

3) Flame weapon (and similar spells) can be cast on all creatures that have a single creature weapon, regardless of which slot it is in. (Bug fix -- BioWare's version missed one of the three creature weapon slots.)
- fixed of course

PS: Maybe one more question, since I'm already on it - does 1.70 fix the bug of trident weapon focus not working?

CP does not fix this. I had it in plan but it required use of 2 or 3 module events and the resulting fix would still be counted towards +20ab cap. I suggest to use NWNX to fix this. (I maybe release a client "fixes" plugin in future, was thinking about adding this fix to the nwnx_fixes too but thats a bit problematic since if you used a nwnx_weapons with it, it wouldn't worked correctly, maybe not at all)

Legacy_Grani

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2013, 05:40:45 pm »

Thanks. '^_^'

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2013, 02:52:57 am »

Grani wrote...

Thanks. '^_^'

So I made that plugin! See the CP project downloads. I called it nwncx_patch as I would like to add more fixes over time. Suggestions welcome, though Im not that good in this so don't expect miracles ':wizard:'.

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2013, 05:53:45 am »

Releasing second version of the patch plugin. Please help me test it and lmk any issues. Requires NWNCX, then simply extract the zip file into your NWN directory and run game via NWNCX loader.
This plugin is not dependant on CPP and can be of course used standalone.

Direct download from CP project

Features:
- weapon focus for trident fixed
- effect icons limit increased to 255
- enabled custom base classes in initial character selection

Explanation:
- a trident's weapon focus is not working and you don't gain +1ab from this feat.
- effect icons are limited to 131 and even if module/server has in hak custom effect icons player won't see them. (This is however possible only via nwnx, without it a module builder cannot set a effect's icon.)
- even if a module/server has custom base classes, player is not able to select them in initial character creation.

Neither this plugin, or Community Patch itself adds new base classes nor new effect icons. This is only a feature to allow players to select/see them in modules/servers where these features are.

Modifié par ShaDoOoW, 20 septembre 2013 - 04:59 .

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2013, 08:26:39 am »

Im planning revisition of the bard music and musical instruments. Would like to hear opinions on this.

#1 Deafness has 20% chance to interrupt any bardic music. (Only under HardCore/VeryDifficult difficulty)
#2 Bard instruments follow the same rules (with silence check too ofc). Any item could be marked as musical instrument by variable MUSICAL_INSTRUMENT/int/1

Optional features:
#3 Bard instruments will require perform skill. A rogue that can use a bardic instrument via UMD won't be able to use it without perform anyway. This is normally unrealistic in NWN since only bard can take Perform skill. So this will be optional for builders who either wants to restrict it only and only to bards or those who enabled Perform skill to other classes as well. Also planing a possibility to restrict this to bard song's uses which could be useable in high magic environments.

Ideas, opinions?

EDIT: done, those who uses CP spell engine from 1.71 (where customizable internal spellhook was introduced) can immediately test it, an erf file with this feature is now available for download standalone in CPProject downloads.

After import,  if you wish the musical instruments to be restricted, set up variable 71_RESTRICT_MUSICAL_INSTRUMENTS int 1/2 on module. 1 = perform restricted (DC 7+3*SpellLevel by default) 2 = bard song restricted.

I've set up standard nwn music instruments to allow this (blueprints inside erf). Each will play music if you use it and fulfill all requirements.

Any custom item can be marked as a musical instrument by variable MUSICAL_INSTRUMENT int = 1. You can also set up custom perform DC (in case you restricted musical instruments to it) via variable MUSICAL_INSTRUMENT_DC int value. And you can also set up sound to be played by MUSICAL_INSTRUMENT_SOUND string sound_resref, if you don't set up song it will play the Bard song's sound by default.

Modifié par ShaDoOoW, 22 septembre 2013 - 10:18 .