Author Topic: CEP 2.4... Files are there, but 'cannot be found?'  (Read 377 times)

Legacy_Sardo Bellclanger

CEP 2.4... Files are there, but 'cannot be found?'
« on: December 09, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »

Greetings --

Very strange question, here:

I've been building a module with the CEP 2.4 (and its previous versions), but now something has gone wrong with the module/game finding the files: although every CEP hak file resides in my Hak folder, I cannot any longer open the module because it tells me that certain files can't be found.  Of course, the very files it says are missing are right there in the Hak folder all along.

I tried replacing them with clean, just-unzipped-from-the-original .rar files, with no effect.  I even fired up the Dedicated Server yesterday, with that module, and it loaded -- but I got the same 'missing files' message when I tried to actually log in and play.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, seeing as this is a module I've been working on for about four years!

-- Sardo

PS -- I am building a new module, using the exact same CEP 2.4 files from the same folder, and it works perfectly, which ticks me off even more.

Legacy_Sardo Bellclanger

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 08:50:14 pm »

I should also have mentioned that I can't open the module at all, whether in the Toolset or in the game, and get the same 'missing resources' message no matter what.  I'm starting to wonder if Bill Clinton is running my NWN game:

Clinton:  Those files are not there.
Prosecutor:  But Mr. President, the files in question are clearly right there.
Clinton:  I assure you, those files are NOT there...

Legacy_SHOVA

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:29:52 pm »

Sometimes, a module becomes corrupted.
When this happens,  things do not work, sometimes you can still open them in the toolset, sometimes you can not.
In the case of CEP2.4a, A few questions to help figure out what happened, to keep it from happening again.
1st, did you run the CEP updater, if so, there is your problem. CEP2.4a does not use the updater anymore.
2nd. did you delete placeables, items, creatures in mass? sometimes this can cause problems, especialy in big hak sets, which the CEP has become.
3rd. Did you add other haks, then remove them from the mod? This can cause corruption problems.
4th, do you have a back up of the mod from an earlier time? This may well be the only way to recove your work, if you have since this problem happened opened other mods in the toolset.

Legacy_Zwerkules

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:47:48 pm »

It also happens that the toolset or the game tells you that files are missing if it can't open them because another programm is using them (like for example you have opened a hak with NWN-Explorer).
But since you said it works with a new module I guess that is not your problem.

Legacy_Jez_fr

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 04:57:40 pm »

Sardo, you should hand the module to someone else just to see if he can open it. This way you'll know for sure if the problem comes from the module itself, or from your CEP/Hak install. Once you know that, you'll be able to hunt for other issues. I can have a look if you don't have such a friend handy.

Modifié par Jez_fr, 10 décembre 2011 - 04:59 .

Legacy_Sardo Bellclanger

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 06:51:17 pm »

Thank you for the replies, friends.

Shova --
I'm not certain if I ran the updater for the CEP (it's been about a month since actually being able to even open the module to work on it), but I know I did not delete bunches of custom content at a time.  However, I've added various haks over time, and I have a strong feeling that this is where the problem happened, as I'll explain at the bottom.

Zwerkules --
I thank you for pointing that out, which I'll be on the lookout for in general as I build.

Jez_fr --
Thanks very much for the offer of help.  The module itself uses a number of haks, all of which can be found online at (where else) the NWN Vault, although I did make a music hak of my own.  I may take you up on your offer still, but here's what happened yesterday:

I tried opening the second-to-last save of the module, and it worked, even though it hadn't previously.  See, I had played on the Cormanthor server a little over two months ago, and it required a bunch of haks to download.  Finding that module to be quite beautiful in its design, I added some of the hak files to my own module, and I think that's where the trouble started.  It seems the Cormanthor haks are combinations of the NWNCQ and such, and the server does not apparently say you need the CEP... long story short, I'm wondering if there was a conflict by adding both sets of haks.  The second-to-last save of my module did NOT include the Cormanthor haks.  And behold, it works.

Anyway, it seems that as of yesterday, I do have my module back, albeit unexpectedly and after it not working under the same conditions two months ago.

Thanks again, folks.