Author Topic: DnD 5e For Free  (Read 321 times)

Legacy_Tarot Redhand

DnD 5e For Free
« on: July 28, 2014, 11:55:16 pm »

First a little apology for the tardiness of this post. I already knew that WotC were going to do this, I just didn't know when. It turns out it was roughly 3 weeks ago. The fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons has been released. "So what?" I hear you say. Well, as part of the marketing strategy they are giving away one of the rulebooks for free. You can download the players handbook in pdf format from their site here. Now I realise that there is a low probability that this will impact on NwN directly, there is, however, a possibility that someone may find something to use in one or more modules that they may work on. So, taking that gamble, I decided to post and let the wider community know about this. Also I haven't seen any other posts on this topic.

Anyway, I hope this is of use to someone.

TR

Legacy_Shadooow

DnD 5e For Free
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:10:31 am »

Wow. Very cool decision from them, will definitely make 5e more popular than the 4e was.

Legacy_Tarot Redhand

DnD 5e For Free
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 12:27:33 am »

To be strictly accurate WotC are calling this the Basic Rules Document and they will release both a players handbook and a Dm's guide in August. Having downloaded it myself I can give a few more details. There are 2 versions of it - a printer friendly one and the standard version. It is 110 pages long and is 2.67 megs (both versions) to download. It has an introduction, 11 chapters and an appendix. According to WotC, it is split into 3 sections - creating a character, how to play the game and magic.

TR

Legacy_Pstemarie

DnD 5e For Free
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:34:24 am »

While its a nice gesture to give away their basic rules - which contains less than half the classes and races, I'll stick with Pathfinder. At $50 per rulebook, not to mention WotC's usual marketing strategy to break the rules into a hoard of manuals, I just can't justify supporting a game that will cost $150 just to get the bare essentials (PH, DMG, and MM). Furthermore, I've gotten far more material out of my Pathfinder and 3.5 collections then I'll ever get out of DnD Next (or whatever they're calling it now). 

Legacy_Berliad

DnD 5e For Free
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:09:36 pm »

For what it's worth, I think it really depends on what you're going to do with the game.  I bought the starter set for the adventure and the monster stats (retail $20, I think I paid $12 on amazon), and between it and the Basic PDF I am probably set for at least 6 months.  I'm just playing once per month or so with my kids, though.  The basic rules will take you 1-20 with four classes and four races, which is plenty for us.  Once the monster manual comes out in september, basic dnd will have its own small bestiary too, which I could probably use and reskin indefinitely.  I may eventually buy the big 3 books (maybe?), and I'm sure they will run less than $50/pop on amazon ($30, $35, and $35 on amazon right now as preorders).  I know that's not supporting FLGS's, but it is what it is.  

I enjoy running published adventures, so I could just buy adventures from here on out and be just fine with only the Basic package and none of the big books.  If my kids find that they really want new characters, maybe we could get the player's handbook.  ::shrug::

I think 5e is a pretty fun game.  It's fast and fun, the mechanics are interesting, and I like the style of gameplay the speed & simplicity helps cultivate..  I love how backgrounds are implemented to help players both flesh out characters and customize them skill-wise in any direction they prefer.

Pathfinder's a great game too, but I'm enjoying playing something a little different.

Legacy__Guile

DnD 5e For Free
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:13:44 am »

If you can build a NWN Module, you don't need a rule book or system, you could easily design your own on the fly....

I think people have lost touch with their ability to get creative & inventive these days...

I'm sure anyone with any D&D experience could conjure up their own little world / rule set & dice system...

Just need to learn to set yourselves free, truly... (Remember imagination is the heart of D&D)