Author Topic: I am clueless and overwhelmed.  (Read 1830 times)

Legacy_Elhanan

I am clueless and overwhelmed.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 02:27:44 am »

I didn't, except for including the greater synergy with INT vs CHA. Even a pure Wizard can utilize the resultant Skill pts and other INT related abilities over the few CHA based options that Sorcerer provides, at least from my POV.

Legacy_Kier1992

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 01:23:52 pm »

I appreciate the responses. I was hoping to be linked to some builds that I could check out though.

Legacy_Elhanan

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 01:39:31 pm »

While I prefer to add a few Rogue lvls, the Melee Mage build has some excellent info and tips for playing a Wizard:

http://home.comcast....uild301814.html

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 07:32:01 pm »

I asked what race you wanted!  But if we assume human, here's a sorcerer build that works along the principle of "Nuke everything."  You'll likely be using the Rod of Frost for a few levels, though, until you get enough spells per day.

Human
8 STR
8 DEX
16 CON
12 INT
8 WIS
18 CHA

Skills: Concentration, Spellcraft, Tumble, Persuade (Persuade can be changed for something else if you want)

1: Spell Focus: Evocation, Toughness
3: Greater Spell Focus: Evocation
6: Empower Spell
9: Maximize Spell
12: Silent Spell
15. Extend Spell
18. Great Fortitude

Spells Chosen:
1: Mage Armor, Burning Hands
3: Protection from Alignment
4: Ghostly Visage
5: Combust, Identify
6: Fireball
7: Scintillating Sphere, Knock, Summon Creature I
8: Stoneskin
9: Find Traps, Improved Invisibility, Endurance
10: Firebrand
11: Cone of Cold, Elemental Shield, Haste, Bull's Strength
12: Isaac's Greater Missile Storm
13: True Seeing, Mestil's Acid Sheath, Ice Storm
14: Shadow Shield
15: Bigby's Grasping Hand, Chain Lightning, Bigby's Interposing Hand
16: Premonition
17: Horriding Wilting, Spell Mantle
18: Time Stop
19: Mord's Disjunction, Greater Sanctuary
20: Wail of the Banshee

Modifié par MagicalMaster, 07 septembre 2013 - 06:32 .

Legacy_Kier1992

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 11:24:21 pm »

MagicalMaster wrote...

I asked what race you wanted!  But if we assume human, here's a sorcerer build that works along the principle of "Nuke everything."  You'll likely be using the Rod of Frost for a few levels, though, until you get enough spells per day.

Human
8 STR
8 DEX
16 CON
12 INT
8 WIS
18 CHA

Skills: Concentration, Spellcraft, Tumble, Persuade (Persuade can be changed for something else if you want)

1: Spell Focus: Evocation, Toughness
3: Greater Spell Focus: Evocation
6: Empower Spell
9: Maximize Spell
12: Silent Spell
15. Extend Spell
18. Great Fortitude

Spells Chosen:
1: Mage Armor, Burning Hands
3: Protection from Alignment
4: Ghostly Visage
5: Combust, Identify
6: Fireball
7: Scintillating Sphere, Knock, Summon Creature I
8: Stoneskin
9: Find Traps, Improved Invisibility, Endurance
10: Firebrand
11: Cone of Cold, Elemental Shield, Haste, Bull's Strength
12: Isaac's Greater Missile Storm
13: True Seeing, Mestil's Acid Sheath, Ice Storm
14: Shadow Shield
15: Bigby's Grasping Hand, Chain Lightning, Bigby's Interposing Hand
16: Premonition
17: Horriding Wilting, Spell Mantle
18: Time Stop
19: Mord's Disjunction, Greater Sanctuary
20: Wail of the Banshee

I do not know what I want as I still cannot choose. What I want to be is a high damage caster that can survive. I am relying on a build/guide to follow that would make me a great caster character for the main campagin and expasions.

Modifié par Kier1992, 07 septembre 2013 - 10:26 .

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 11:31:49 pm »

That build I just posted will be just that.  It has high HP for a caster, plenty of defensive spells, and lots of high damage spells.

And some people want to be a particular race when playing.

Legacy_Kier1992

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 10:46:34 am »

MagicalMaster wrote...

That build I just posted will be just that.  It has high HP for a caster, plenty of defensive spells, and lots of high damage spells.

And some people want to be a particular race when playing.

I am not fussed about race. I know sometimes some races are better for specfic classes, so yeah... Thanks for the build. What do you think of an all out Socerer as appose to a Socerer that is part Paladin? I am hearing Paladin is quite good.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2013, 06:21:48 pm »

Sometimes people will take a level or three in paladin for a few reasons.

1, you'll gain a Saving Throw Bonus equal to your Charisma modifier for 1 paladin level, which will help versus many spells and traps.

2, you'll gain the wear heavy armor for 1 paladin level, so if you choose the Still Spell feat, you can theoretically cast in full plate armor with a tower shield.  However, this means your spells will be weaker overall.  This is mainly good if you can pick up the Auto-Still Spell feat in epic levels which eliminates the Still Spell penalty.

3, for 3 paladin levels, you'll also be able to pick up a feat called Divine Shield which will allow you to add your Charisma modifier to your armor class, making it harder for enemies to hit you.  Note that this is really only worth it if you also have the full plate.

In general, I'd suggest you stick with pure sorcerer for the moment.  If you really want to abuse mechanics, you could throw in a level of Paladin (or two levels of Blackguard) once you're at least, say, level 15.  Keep in mind your spellcasting will then lag behind slightly - so if you're still struggling and feel like you don't have enough spells or strong enough spells, keep going pure Sorcerer until at least level 20.

In general, just going pure Sorcerer will be a lot simpler for your first playthrough and it is more than plenty powerful - you'll absolutely wreck things past like level 8.

Modifié par MagicalMaster, 10 septembre 2013 - 04:02 .

Legacy_MrZork

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 10:41:48 am »

The OP should know that sorcerers can change known spells when leveling up, exchanging one known spell for a different one. This is particularly useful when a spell is valuable at lower levels but there are better ones as levels go up. For instance, for the first several levels, the Sleep spell can be quite useful. But, there comes a time when the toon isn't really facing enemies of 5 HD or lower (or can take care of them without spells) and so he might swap the spell for something more useful.

For a run through the OC, it's worth keeping in mind that a caster will typically get to level 17 or 18. So, anything saved for levels 18, 19, or 20 might not see much (or any) use in the campaign.

Which reminds me of one comment on the spell list above: At level 18, Time Stop may not be the most useful spell for this toon in the OC. It is certainly a very useful spell, but one can often get by without it in most SP campaigns and it is available in scroll form, which will work just as well, except perhaps for a hasted caster. Obviously, this is a personal preference for the OC, but I would probably grab Wail early and just keep a stack of Time Stop scrolls handy when needed.

Legacy_Kier1992

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 01:16:21 pm »

Thanks MagicalMaster and MrZork. I got around to creating my character but I have to pop out in a minute so I couldn't progress. Unfortunately the camera movement is quite annoying lol.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 05:46:37 pm »

MrZork wrote...

At level 18, Time Stop may not be the most useful spell for this toon in the OC. It is certainly a very useful spell, but one can often get by without it in most SP campaigns and it is available in scroll form, which will work just as well, except perhaps for a hasted caster. Obviously, this is a personal preference for the OC, but I would probably grab Wail early and just keep a stack of Time Stop scrolls handy when needed.

He'll be perma-hasted from at least chapter 3 on (vendor Boots of Speed).  Which means the casted version is far superior.  If needed, he can time stop + 2 offensive spells + time stop + 2 offensive spells to wreck everything.  Ultimate trump card in the campaign.

Legacy_MrZork

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 07:29:02 am »

There is no disagreement that some combination of hasted TS + nuking spells + Greater Sanctuary is a powerful combo in the OC (and elsewhere). But, he can easily get by without it and, IMO, have more fun with other level 9 spells, particularly given the reality that he will only get one level 9 spell in the OC.

Of course, my experience may not be indicative of a typical play through. I don't think I have ever gotten to level 18 much before hitting the Source Stone. I suppose someone who got there before facing a certain Chapter 3 red dragon would have been quite happy to use the TS trump card. ;-)

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 08:17:25 am »

Nah, he wouldn't hit level 18 prior to the last chapter for sure, even if soloing.

But Maximized IGMS will usually be better than any other level 9 spell except maybe Wail.

Legacy_MrZork

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 11:00:54 am »

Maxed IGMS is probably the best spell in the game versus any single opponent, particularly in the OC (designed before that spell was added to the game) where it is likely to one shot all but a few bosses. Wail probably has the edge against tough groups and bosses smart enough to call in familiars and summons, unless they are high fort save types (which is the case in some of the Chapter 4 encounters).

Unfortunately, using maxed IGMS and TS together can be something of a squeeze with only 4 total level 9 slots and no rests once getting to the final area. Not hard to overcome with all the other spells the toon would have (and the buggy nature of the final encounter), though.

Legacy_Elhanan

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 04:37:12 pm »

In all the years I have played this game, Time Stop has rarely ever been used by me. Personally, I prefer versatility in my characters, and try and avoid repeated use of the same spells and tactics.

As Mages are not my strong suit, my 'tutorials' in learning were mods made by Hugie. And while I do not care for low lvls, the mods by Fester Pot certainly made playing them a lot more enjoyable.