Author Topic: GameSpy support for NWN likely discontinued indefinitely.  (Read 2759 times)

Legacy_Rain16

GameSpy support for NWN likely discontinued indefinitely.
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2012, 09:36:02 am »

Good call Borrie.  People will want to click on Text Only Version in the upper right for a more readable version.  I used the Wayback Machine for this page as well to no avail.  I got three results that didn't show any of the information.  These things have a way of disappearing from the web even with the help of the Wayback Machine if publishers wish to do so.  See jumptheshark.com for an example of a corp. purchasing a site and killing it's content even blocking the Wayback Machine as well.  I can almost hear the big corp of TV Guide's evil laugh when you try to find anything from jumptheshark.com the way it used to be using the Wayback Machine.  Try it.  If you want another reason to hate big corps.

Legacy_Borrie BoBaka

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2012, 10:00:03 am »

Updated my post with a link pointing to the Text-Only Version for convenience.

Legacy_kamal_

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2012, 01:15:58 pm »

Borrie BoBaka wrote...

Rain16 wrote...

Here is a list of servers and their direct connect addresses:

http://webcache.goog...d&gl=us&strip=1

It is a cache of the web page that has since been taken down so I'm not sure how long this will be around but if you are looking for direct connect information.  There are a lot of servers with their numbers here.

Hard to copy paste that, so here it is in link form:

GameSpy Server List Cache from Rain16
Text-Only Version of Above Link

Alternatively, you may be able to find cached information using Wayback Machine. They don't really delete their archives but the question is when they managed to archive some things, and is it recent enough to be useful.

Since google cache will empty once they re-index, I saved the list.
dl.dropbox.com/u/3879894/nwn1_servers_gamespy_cache.htm

Legacy_Visavant

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2012, 03:27:55 pm »

GS Replacement Project

Modifié par Visavant, 09 décembre 2012 - 07:22 .

Legacy_The Amethyst Dragon

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2012, 05:42:58 am »

I went ahead and posted information on reddit for those gamers that think this may have killed off multiplayer for NWN.

r/gaming topic

Legacy_Jack Pipsam

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2012, 07:51:13 am »

So many games are setting shut down from this it's not funny.

Legacy_Pstemarie

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2012, 10:27:30 am »

Personally, I have never used Gamespy for anything. Any server I ever wanted to find was easy enough to locate without having another essentially useless (at least for me) app on my system. I wonder how much PW traffic in the last several years has actually come through Gamespy. I'm much more inclined to think that traffic comes through the PW's very own sites, this site, and word of mouth.

As far as killing the game, well TBH, compared to its heyday, the game's been pretty much dead for some time now. This certainly doesn't help, but I think the impact - at least upon NWN - will be pretty trivial.

EDIT - added the itaicized bit for clarity. Put simply, I think the Gamespy thing will prove trivial compared to other events that have "shaken" the game in the past two years.

Modifié par Pstemarie, 09 décembre 2012 - 06:54 .

Legacy_Borrie BoBaka

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2012, 12:12:33 pm »

Contrition is relatively young, about 10 months old or so. And I'm not alone, there's quite a few other new PWs out there (and hopefully many more to come, if the game is to persist). I've noted that our primary exposure to new players has been the GameSpy lists, despite attempts to advertise on many different websites. GameSpy is extraordinarily helpful in gathering new players, and without it, I've noted a significant decrease in sign-ups on our forums.

Older PWs with high numbers probably won't feel anything from the GameSpy shutdown, but new Persistent Worlds and PWs with growing playerbases will feel this loss greatly.

NWN 1 and 2 may not have playercounts up in the tens of thousands like many games out there, but they still play host to well over a thousand individuals, and many more join in as they buy the game to check out what they might've missed (I bought NWN in 2009, not knowing about it back in it's early days), or coming back to a game they once loved. 

NWN isn't dead, it's just been downsized quite a bit, but the players who still play, do so because they still love the game, and there's enough of us that a signifigant blow to the game's operations will be noticed. Those of us who still play and build treasure it's value, and will continue to do our part to keep it alive. With the fall of the GameSpy network, and the rise of a replacement, following the shutdown of the Master Authentication server, Neverwinter Nights is now fully in the hands of the community. A testament to our dedication. A dedication that makes this game immortal.

It's important to me, as I hope it is for others, to not only help my own server to flourish, but also help others flourish as well. As long as there are servers, there will be a community, and as long as there is a community, there will be Neverwinter Nights.

Modifié par Borrie BoBaka, 09 décembre 2012 - 12:30 .

Legacy_Luj1

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2012, 01:24:03 pm »

Borrie BoBaka wrote...

Contrition is relatively young, about 10 months old or so. And I'm not alone, there's quite a few other new PWs out there (and hopefully many more to come, if the game is to persist). I've noted that our primary exposure to new players has been the GameSpy lists, despite attempts to advertise on many different websites. GameSpy is extraordinarily helpful in gathering new players, and without it, I've noted a significant decrease in sign-ups on our forums.

Older PWs with high numbers probably won't feel anything from the GameSpy shutdown, but new Persistent Worlds and PWs with growing playerbases will feel this loss greatly.

NWN 1 and 2 may not have playercounts up in the tens of thousands like many games out there, but they still play host to well over a thousand individuals, and many more join in as they buy the game to check out what they might've missed (I bought NWN in 2009, not knowing about it back in it's early days), or coming back to a game they once loved. 

NWN isn't dead, it's just been downsized quite a bit, but the players who still play, do so because they still love the game, and there's enough of us that a signifigant blow to the game's operations will be noticed. Those of us who still play and build treasure it's value, and will continue to do our part to keep it alive. With the fall of the GameSpy network, and the rise of a replacement, following the shutdown of the Master Authentication server, Neverwinter Nights is now fully in the hands of the community. A testament to our dedication. A dedication that makes this game immortal.

It's important to me, as I hope it is for others, to not only help my own server to flourish, but also help others flourish as well. As long as there are servers, there will be a community, and as long as there is a community, there will be Neverwinter Nights.

It is so amazing that after all this time, people are still making new PWs : ) Thank you so much !

Legacy_Borrie BoBaka

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2012, 01:54:01 pm »

Of course! So much new content has been created in the past five years, so much more experience and knowledge about NWscript has been gained all this time, with NWN1 and 2 there are very few mysteries to unlock, the game is a blank canvas to explore our creativity, the final frontier of Neverwinter Nights.

There's still so much to be created with and for these games.

Legacy_ehye_khandee

« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2012, 03:11:51 pm »

New and returning NWN gamers can still find the best servers listed at

neverwinterconnections.com

Where new features will soon replace the lost gamespy functionality.

As always we continue to operate our growing and evolving server ArgentumRegio (information found at playnwn.com ).

Be well. Game on.
GM_ODA
direct connect at 66.232.100.90

Legacy_Knight_Shield

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2012, 04:41:10 pm »

Question :So nwmain.exe /nwserver file are being made to replace .I run nwserver on linux Im going to need a linux nwserver to point to new server? 

Modifié par Knight_Shield, 10 décembre 2012 - 01:43 .

Legacy_Visavant

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »

Knight_Shield wrote...

Question :So nwmain.exe /nwserver file are being made to replace .I run nwserver on linux Im going to need a linux nwserver to point to new server? Where do I send my money?

For immediate announcement of your server, please view this link.

Legacy_BelowTheBelt

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2012, 06:19:13 pm »

I applaud and am amazed at what this community is doing and can do to develop innovative solutions quickly.

As part of thinking towards the future, can we take a moment to reflect on what additional functionality might be warranted?  This is a golden opportunity to go beyond the limited functionality that GameSpy provided.  I would hate to limit ourselves to the 'box' that we were locked into when the game was launched more than 10 years ago.  The community has driven this game so much further that I think we can do better.  The Gamespy client made it easy to browse and join servers (to a point) and we would/should replicate that.  However, that limited UI was also isolating - players did not get any more info than the name of the server.

What I specifically would like to see includes:
- more categories of server types
- more detail about servers
- Hak installer/updates: auto load required server Haks and check for updates
- Hak preloader:  preload Haks so that functionality (such as weapon feats for CEP weapons)  can be  at client creation
- server host e-mail account registration for notification of when players log on/off

I'm sure there are other things that I'm not thinking of.  Can the client-side application be integrated into NWNCX?

I would rather not just emulate the limited Gamespy server list if we are going to the effort.  If some of this needs to wait for version 2 of the current solution in order to respond quickly, then that's fine.  But, let's build something that has an idea towards something better.

Also, let's please make this available via an environment similar to nwconnections, which enables game scheduling and some host/player or player/player interaction.  With the limited community we have, it is vital for our future to combine these resources and provide players a one-stop shop that makes enjoying NWN as simple as possible.

I've said from the beginning and continue to believe that this might be the best thing that's happened to our community in a long time.  We have ONE golden opportunity here.  Let's not squander it.  GoG.com will probably be willing to support our efforts to point players where we want them to go, but we can only ask them to do that once or twice before we become an annoyance.

Thanks.

Legacy_Visavant

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2012, 06:40:11 pm »

more categories of server types

Could do this but with the current server count, I'm unsure as to why...

more detail about servers

The approach I was taking with this for the out of game browser was that the server host would place something like [nc:hX9] to their server description, which in turn support external applications that provided file download options (haks, etc), as well as more details and features as time went on.

Hak installer/updates: auto load required server Haks and check for updates

Tons of implementations exist out there to some degree, though easy enough to muster something together for this.

Hak preloader:  preload Haks so that functionality (such as weapon feats for CEP weapons)  can be  at client creation

I'm not versed well enough to figure out how that's accomplished in NWN1.

server host e-mail account registration for notification of when players log on/off

Doable but... seems spammy. I wouldn't want SORBS blacklisting the domain.

I would rather not just emulate the limited Gamespy server list if we are going to the effort.  If some of this needs to wait for version 2 of the current solution in order to respond quickly, then that's fine.  But, let's build something that has an idea towards something better.

Tons of ideas here, including replicating something that nwn2db does but with server admins supplying the 2das so that players can template their builds outside of the game.

Also, let's please make this available via an environment similar to nwconnections, which enables game scheduling and some host/player or player/player interaction.  With the limited community we have, it is vital for our future to combine these resources and provide players a one-stop shop that makes enjoying NWN as simple as possible.

Scheduling is pretty easy to implement, something that'll take just a day to put up for hosts and DMs to push announcements through.