Author Topic: GameSpy support for NWN likely discontinued indefinitely.  (Read 2763 times)

Legacy_SHOVA

GameSpy support for NWN likely discontinued indefinitely.
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2012, 09:50:47 pm »

Just to be clear, GameSpy is not the master server, merely a place to see all the servers up and running. Since GameSpy has shut that feature down, PW surfing is now hindered, but still possible, provided you have the direct connect address. PWs are still up, running and can be accessed. Also, the Chat feature of GameSpy seems unaffected.

I am not surprised that GameSpy has done this, Seeing as there is no corporate "champion" for us. Bio is not going to do anything about this, neither is EA, Atari, or WotC, no matter how many signatures on whatever petitions. Face it, There is no money in it for them, its a decade old game. Its on us to fix this, or more likely switch to a community made system that does what GameSpy did. Wonderfully its in the works.  

Personally I am rather glad that GameSpy has done this, as it has always been a love/hate affair with them. Think about it, there has only been the set "Types" of Servers for 10 years. Finally with a community made version, we can have a "Adult" channel, a "Kid Friendly" channel, and all the types left out of GameSpy.

Legacy_NWN_baba yaga

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2012, 09:55:37 pm »

they could have just sent out a message that they are shutting their service down with an eta and everything could have been much easier... thats what i dont understand. Just a note, this does not cost any money to tell a community when something is changing. Thats customer support!

Legacy_SHOVA

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2012, 09:58:43 pm »

Customer support denotes that we as customers were buying a service from them.. We didn't pay them a dime..

Legacy_NWN_baba yaga

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2012, 10:05:07 pm »

ok good, maybe i´m realy to old to get the changes that have happened during the past. I remember an installation message for gamespy for many games when i install a game on my HD.. thats advertising... thats equal to money.

Legacy_Visavant

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2012, 10:18:59 pm »

Overwhelming responses from the hosts, thanks for the interest. A common question is if you have to enroll or sign up a server on what I'm working on, the answer is simply nope. As soon as your server announces it's online (turns on) to me will automatically populate the lists. I have a pool of 20 from the PM request to test tonight / tomorrow morning. I'll announce on this thread tomorrow where to obtain more information and how to see the list again.

Legacy_SHOVA

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2012, 10:20:49 pm »

Thanks Visavant!

Legacy_Borrie BoBaka

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2012, 11:34:01 pm »

I'm glad we were able to find a solution that will put more control into the Neverwinter Nights community so that we can have a reliable stability despite BioWare and GameSpy's abandonment of the series. Once this solution is complete we will have to work to spread it to all 2,000 or so NWN1 and NWN2 users so we can continue business as normal.

Legacy_luna_hawke

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2012, 02:34:38 am »

SkywingvL wrote...

Should GameSpy support be permanently discontinued, there are some options available. I am willing to investigate creating and hosting a barebones emulation BioWare master server that would track connectivity information for game servers that connect to it. Given that the master account database doesn't seem like it is coming back up, it makes more sense to just pass through all auths as succeeded and have the only function of the emulation master server to track which game servers are online.

Seems like a good idea.

Legacy_Visavant

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2012, 03:52:35 am »

Major milestone, testing with the first set of servers on NWN1. NWN2 hosts, I'll contact you in the morning.

'Posted

Legacy_eeriegeek

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2012, 06:06:13 am »

For a quick way to check NWN servers for basic status (at least from the linux command line), the quakestat program can parse gamespy3 protocol. For example:

quakestat -gs3 www.isleclostridia.net:5121
will produce:

ADDRESS           PLAYERS      MAP   RESPONSE TIME    NAME
www.isleclostridia.net:5121  0/32  0/0  Isle Clostridia v211     40 / 0  PW Story Isle Clostridia (CEP)
It also has an option for reading a list of servers from a file. This could be used to produce a list of live server "up" info given a list of known server addresses using it's -xml option or a bit of scripted parsing. Under fedora core it can be installed with "yum install qstat".

Modifié par eeriegeek, 08 décembre 2012 - 06:08 .

Legacy_Melkior_King

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2012, 06:23:57 am »

It's possible to redirect the call to the master server by editing your local hosts file but that does require some knowledge of how that file works.

The same is true for GameSpy, but this runs the risk of redirecting all calls to GS which would disable any other games from using GS.

If the URL for GS is different for each game, then editing the local hosts file to point to community made alternatives for the master server and for GS would be an elegant permanent solution.

I'm willing to contribute toward the costs of running such an arrangement.

Legacy_Borrie BoBaka

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2012, 07:33:29 am »

I'm assisting as much as possible in the development of this solution, though I'm still not sure on the specific costs that may be required to run the emulation. There may not be (optimistically), but if there are, I'm sure donations would be appreciated. I'm certain Visavant will give details as he learns of them.

Thank you everyone for your assistance!

Modifié par Borrie BoBaka, 08 décembre 2012 - 07:46 .

Legacy_SkywingvL

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2012, 08:31:27 am »

eeriegeek wrote...

For a quick way to check NWN servers for basic status (at least from the linux command line), the quakestat program can parse gamespy3 protocol. For example:

quakestat -gs3 www.isleclostridia.net:5121
will produce:

ADDRESS           PLAYERS      MAP   RESPONSE TIME    NAME
www.isleclostridia.net:5121  0/32  0/0  Isle Clostridia v211     40 / 0  PW Story Isle Clostridia (CEP)
It also has an option for reading a list of servers from a file. This could be used to produce a list of live server "up" info given a list of known server addresses using it's -xml option or a bit of scripted parsing. Under fedora core it can be installed with "yum install qstat".

The advantage of subsuming the master server communication that game servers perform is that the server list becomes self-maintaining once more.

It is a separate problem to distribute this list to clients in game, but at least an automatically updated webpage for servers that participate in a shared master server could be distributed.  Particularly were support for this included with NWNX2/NWNX4, one would hope that reasonable adoption among the major PW's could be expected.

Legacy_Rain16

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2012, 09:03:14 am »

Here is a list of servers and their direct connect addresses:

http://webcache.goog...d&gl=us&strip=1

It is a cache of the web page that has since been taken down so I'm not sure how long this will be around but if you are looking for direct connect information.  There are a lot of servers with their numbers here.

Legacy_Borrie BoBaka

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2012, 09:09:08 am »

Rain16 wrote...

Here is a list of servers and their direct connect addresses:

http://webcache.goog...d&gl=us&strip=1

It is a cache of the web page that has since been taken down so I'm not sure how long this will be around but if you are looking for direct connect information.  There are a lot of servers with their numbers here.

Hard to copy paste that, so here it is in link form:

GameSpy Server List Cache from Rain16
Text-Only Version of Above Link

Alternatively, you may be able to find cached information using Wayback Machine. They don't really delete their archives but the question is when they managed to archive some things, and is it recent enough to be useful.

Modifié par Borrie BoBaka, 08 décembre 2012 - 09:59 .