Author Topic: www.neverwinternights.info - NWN Community Site!  (Read 5124 times)

Legacy_Shadooow

www.neverwinternights.info - NWN Community Site!
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2011, 01:26:17 pm »

Also someone should improve page rank and keywords, google wont even find this site. A link from nwn wiki to this site would be great as well.

I can send few screenshots too so you get more to choose from.

Legacy_SuperFly_2000

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2011, 01:59:15 pm »

- Version notes. Would be cool.

Legacy_UrkOfGreyhawk

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2011, 07:31:43 pm »

The old website used to have some obsolete info on it. One thing that threw me for a loop was the article on setting up secret doors. It was set up pre-SoU and never updated. If you'd like please feel free to use my article:
http://urksoutpost.b...add-secret.html

Modifié par UrkOfGreyhawk, 27 août 2011 - 06:32 .

Legacy_The Amethyst Dragon

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2011, 09:54:24 pm »

Added Urk's secret/placeable doors tutorial to the "module builder" section.

SuperFly_2000 wrote...

Are you thinking version notes on the game?  Like the release notes that detail most of what's been added/changed with each game update (such as 1.67, 1.68, 1.69)?

ShaDoOoW wrote...

Also someone should improve page rank
and keywords, google wont even find this site. A link from nwn wiki to
this site would be great as well.

More screenshots are always good.

As far as keywords go, those aren't really used by search engines anymore.  They look more for things actually in the web page text, rather than any meta-tags.

It's a relatively newer site, so the search engines don't necessarily rank it higher than older pages.  Also, links to the site from other places seem to help in search rankings.

Modifié par The Amethyst Dragon, 31 août 2011 - 09:16 .

Legacy_UrkOfGreyhawk

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2011, 10:48:00 pm »

As far as Meta Tags go, Page Titles still matter. It's best to give each page a unique, keyword rich document title. And the description tag is often displayed in the search results.

Most of all, though, you need links. I'll pitch you a news article with a backlink from the Neverwinter Connections homepage, and I'll send you some love from my blog. Anyone else with site should do the same. If you don't have a site leaving links in forums and blog comments is better than nothing. Sharing links to the site from sites like facebook, twitter and digg helps too. 

Another thing that helps a site accumulate authority is having lot's of pages. I doubt the folks at bioware will care if you copy pages off the wayback machine and hook them right into the site, and I doubt their new evil overlords will even notice.

Allowing comments is a good way to make content look more dynamic, but thats a 2 edged sword because moderating them is a royal PITA.

ACK! GTG. You're doing AWESOME work AD.

Modifié par UrkOfGreyhawk, 31 août 2011 - 09:56 .

Legacy_Birdman076

« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2011, 12:04:26 am »

The Amethyst Dragon wrote...

Added Urk's secret/placeable doors tutorial to the "module builder" section.

SuperFly_2000 wrote...

Are you thinking version notes on the game?  Like the release notes that detail most of what's been added/changed with each game update (such as 1.67, 1.68, 1.69)?

ShaDoOoW wrote...

Also someone should improve page rank
and keywords, google wont even find this site. A link from nwn wiki to
this site would be great as well.

More screenshots are always good.

As far as keywords go, those aren't really used by search engines anymore.  They look more for things actually in the web page text, rather than any meta-tags.

It's a relatively newer site, so the search engines don't necessarily rank it higher than older pages.  Also, links to the site from other places seem to help in search rankings.

UrkOfGreyhawk wrote...

As far as Meta Tags go, Page Titles still matter. It's best to give each page a unique, keyword rich document title. And the description tag is often displayed in the search results.

Most of all, though, you need links. I'll pitch you a news article with a backlink from the Neverwinter Connections homepage, and I'll send you some love from my blog. Anyone else with site should do the same. If you don't have a site leaving links in forums and blog comments is better than nothing. Sharing links to the site from sites like facebook, twitter and digg helps too. 

Another thing that helps a site accumulate authority is having lot's of pages. I doubt the folks at bioware will care if you copy pages off the wayback machine and hook them right into the site, and I doubt their new evil overlords will even notice.

Allowing comments is a good way to make content look more dynamic, but thats a 2 edged sword because moderating them is a royal PITA.

ACK! GTG. You're doing AWESOME work AD.

Actually keywords do have relevance they just don't carry as much as they did before the spam abuse. Backlinking and link exchange is where its at, but not just backlinking to any page. In lieu of backlinking you can use full links on the page instead of internal links for everything. Google was supposed to address this as an exploit earlier this year but as far as I can tell they still havent. What I mean as an example you would use http://www.neverwint...nfo/players.htm instead of players.htm for your link. Yes the page will be slightly slower to load because you are telling it to go out to the web and back in, but to google and other search engines it looks like a valid link. I know this because most of our competitors at work use this method and it does push them up a bit in the search ranks. I use internal links because at the time of developement google was slated to address the issue making it moot, it was deemed easier and faster to use a direct internal (i'm not changing 300+ pages now). Page rank plays a big part in backlinking, if you link to a page with a lower page rank then yours it can actually hurt your page rank.

The other big thing is page content and relevance. Copy and paste of the NWN Bioware site would be deemed by google and other search engines as redundant and therefore would do nothing for page rank. My boss insisted I copy and paste manufacturer information for our products to save time, I did, and the site page rank and search rank suffer because of it.

The other big thing I saw a huge jump in visibility for was sitemap submission to google, use of google analytics, and site submission to all the major search engines. This can be a bit tricky as AOL and some others use a 3rd party search engine that they do not readily disclose.

Other tips would be to use alt tags wherever possible, especially on images, and title tags on every title and subtitle. It goes a long way, even on redundant content. I've got our site in the top 5 on google with search terms we desired using the above methods (minus the "tricks"), they do work.

Some links:

http://www.prchecker...k_page_rank.php  a decent site to get an idea of your site and other site page rank.

http://browsershots.org/  provide your page and people from around the net will provide screenshots on thier browser. You select the browsers you wish to see the page rendered in.

http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/  Generates and .xml and/or other formats which can be used to submit to google.

I have a few others at work for checking html code, css, and meta tags. I'll try to remember to grab the links and post them tomorrow.

Modifié par Birdman076, 31 août 2011 - 11:07 .

Legacy_UrkOfGreyhawk

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2011, 04:16:29 pm »

Actually you're wrong on just about every count, birdman.

Keywords are completely irrelevant. Search engines don't even look at them any more. I've done extensive split testing on this.

I'm unfamiliar with your position on using "full page" links, but if it's true it won't be for long. Google despises ineffeciency. Page load times and efficient page architecture are becoming increasingly important factors in a pages ranking. Despite this I still reccomend using full URLs though. Over time sites can get pretty big and using full URLs are a good way to keep things organized. Of course since I've always used full URLs (because I was taught to, and because I've had bad experiences with sloppy server migrations when I didn't) it may very well be true.

You can be penalized for outbound links, but it has nothing to do with page rank. In fact as a metric page rank isn't really all that important any more (at least not the "green bar" in the browser which is usually just plain wrong anyway). As long as you don't link out to any "bad neighborhoods" (link farms and other spam sites) you'll be fine.

Goggle does not penalize sites for duplicate content. Copied pages and articles aren't worth as much as they would be if they were completely unique, but they do have value and there's no penalty (unless you are duplicating content on your own site, that's a major no-no).

Also, with the bioware site down the content isn't duplicate any more. More importantly, though, it's GOOD content and makes for a better user experience.

Content and relevance is important, but as long as you're providing high quality content for your users you're pretty much covered in that area. Alt tags can be used to increase page relevance. You are correct about that.

I'm not familiar with the websites you're recommending, but my experience is that site's like prchecker are usually pretty useless. Most are obsolete, and those that aren't are pushing a product or agenda. If I had to recommend a site review system I'd suggest TrafficTravis and the SEO firefox plugin has some fun tools, but both are overkill for a fan site.

Browsershots is cool.

XML sitemaps won't help your page rank, but it will improve your page discovery. In other words, XML sitemaps are only really useful if you have a dynamic site, but online services are useless. You need to get a real sitemap generator that's going to scan your site for new pages and update itself daily. For a fire and forget site they're pretty much useless.

Edit: Just took a look at PRChecker. It's a silly tool. It doesn't do anything Google Toolbar doesn't do, and it looks like it's just as inaccurate.

Modifié par UrkOfGreyhawk, 01 septembre 2011 - 07:23 .

Legacy_HipMaestro

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2011, 09:46:08 pm »

*removed editorial*

Modifié par HipMaestro, 01 septembre 2011 - 08:51 .

Legacy_Birdman076

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2011, 01:58:49 am »

UrkOfGreyhawk wrote...

Actually you're wrong on just about every count, birdman.

Keywords are completely irrelevant. Search engines don't even look at them any more. I've done extensive split testing on this.

I'm unfamiliar with your position on using "full page" links, but if it's true it won't be for long. Google despises ineffeciency. Page load times and efficient page architecture are becoming increasingly important factors in a pages ranking. Despite this I still reccomend using full URLs though. Over time sites can get pretty big and using full URLs are a good way to keep things organized. Of course since I've always used full URLs (because I was taught to, and because I've had bad experiences with sloppy server migrations when I didn't) it may very well be true.

You can be penalized for outbound links, but it has nothing to do with page rank. In fact as a metric page rank isn't really all that important any more (at least not the "green bar" in the browser which is usually just plain wrong anyway). As long as you don't link out to any "bad neighborhoods" (link farms and other spam sites) you'll be fine.

Goggle does not penalize sites for duplicate content. Copied pages and articles aren't worth as much as they would be if they were completely unique, but they do have value and there's no penalty (unless you are duplicating content on your own site, that's a major no-no).

Also, with the bioware site down the content isn't duplicate any more. More importantly, though, it's GOOD content and makes for a better user experience.

Content and relevance is important, but as long as you're providing high quality content for your users you're pretty much covered in that area. Alt tags can be used to increase page relevance. You are correct about that.

I'm not familiar with the websites you're recommending, but my experience is that site's like prchecker are usually pretty useless. Most are obsolete, and those that aren't are pushing a product or agenda. If I had to recommend a site review system I'd suggest TrafficTravis and the SEO firefox plugin has some fun tools, but both are overkill for a fan site.

Browsershots is cool.

XML sitemaps won't help your page rank, but it will improve your page discovery. In other words, XML sitemaps are only really useful if you have a dynamic site, but online services are useless. You need to get a real sitemap generator that's going to scan your site for new pages and update itself daily. For a fire and forget site they're pretty much useless.

Edit: Just took a look at PRChecker. It's a silly tool. It doesn't do anything Google Toolbar doesn't do, and it looks like it's just as inaccurate.

I'd post a response but argueing on the internet really is like running in the special olympics so i'll refrain but leave you with a simple "Cool story bro".'B)'

Legacy_UrkOfGreyhawk

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2011, 03:52:30 pm »

Birdman076 wrote...

I'd post a response but argueing on the internet really is like running in the special olympics so i'll refrain but leave you with a simple "Cool story bro".'B)'

Just FYI birdman I'm an SEO too.

Apparently I'm a pretty crappy one though. Which is why my biggest clients website is #1 for 18 of it's top 20 keywords including all of it's top 8.

D'uh. Back to the special olympics with Urk.

Modifié par UrkOfGreyhawk, 03 septembre 2011 - 02:53 .

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2011, 08:17:36 pm »

Silly me forgot to add a title to 3/4 of the existing pages of the site.  This is now fixed.

Screenshots Wanted:
shots from various persistent worlds
shots from various community-made modules
shots from the original campaigns (NWN, SoU, and HotU)
shots from the toolset

800x600 or larger please
original .tga or other uncompressed format is best (no jpgs if possible)
- - - I can open .rar, .7z, and .zip files for those wondering
name/handle of screenshot taker
name of module or PW it's taken from
name of any visual overrides used (such as gui changes)
emailed to: builder@neverwinternights.info

I'm still slowly adding to the site.  Pulled the list of custom content tools from the forum sticky last night.  Still drawing on other forum posts and such that I stumble across in my own info searches as a builder.

I also posted a page description at nwnwiki and on the facebook group.

Modifié par The Amethyst Dragon, 03 septembre 2011 - 07:19 .

« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2011, 08:50:26 am »

I went ahead and added Twitter and Facebook buttons to the entry page.

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2011, 07:22:35 pm »

The Amethyst Dragon wrote...

Silly me forgot to add a title to 3/4 of the existing pages of the site.  This is now fixed.

Screenshots Wanted:
shots from various persistent worlds
shots from various community-made modules
shots from the original campaigns (NWN, SoU, and HotU)
shots from the toolset

800x600 or larger please
original .tga or other uncompressed format is best (no jpgs if possible)
- - - I can open .rar, .7z, and .zip files for those wondering
name/handle of screenshot taker
name of module or PW it's taken from
name of any visual overrides used (such as gui changes)
emailed to: builder@neverwinternights.info

I'm still slowly adding to the site.  Pulled the list of custom content tools from the forum sticky last night.  Still drawing on other forum posts and such that I stumble across in my own info searches as a builder.

I also posted a page description at nwnwiki and on the facebook group.

some screens sent, maybe not very good for your needs but you'll see.

Also I got few ideas for improvements:
- DM section should also contain console commands
- add NWNCQ into game enhancements
- probably NWShader too?
- when creating my unofficial patch I have been informed about links to poland and german unofficial 1.69 critical rebuild (is said that polish is actually official), would be maybe good idea to add them (pm me for links in that case)
- if you didnt yet, then backup all files you are linking from another site

« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2011, 08:29:54 pm »

ShaDoOoW wrote...
Also I got few ideas for improvements:
- DM section should also contain console commands
- add NWNCQ into game enhancements
- probably NWShader too?
- when creating my unofficial patch I have been informed about links to poland and german unofficial 1.69 critical rebuild (is said that polish is actually official), would be maybe good idea to add them (pm me for links in that case)
- if you didnt yet, then backup all files you are linking from another site

URLs/addresses would be helpful for all of these.  Thanks for the continued input.  I'll check email later today for the screenshots.

Legacy_WebShaman

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2011, 01:37:26 pm »

This is starting to really shape up, TAD!!!  Thank you for this monumental effort in behalf of those here in the Community!