Author Topic: NWN is better then Dragon Age  (Read 1621 times)

Legacy_Guest_Lowlander_*

NWN is better then Dragon Age
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 04:09:20 am »

Double Post.

Modifié par Lowlander, 13 mars 2011 - 12:35 .

Legacy_Guest_Lowlander_*

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 04:20:17 am »

AmstradHero wrote...

Say you release a game that includes a dozen non-combat skills for the player to pick from, but only one of those skills is every utilised in the game? Players would be understably and rightfully outraged. Even a player created mod that completely neglects skills or feats is taking away the much vaunted choice of development that you are so focused on. Picture a mod with no speech skills, no pickpocketing, no traps, no lockpicking... suddenly a massive array of choices for character development are gone.

You are massively exaggerating a trivial issue (making mountains out of a molehills).

The reality is that Bluff is hardly used in any module and there is zero outrage. In fact no one cares. Because there are about 30 more useful skills to choose from and almost no one ever gets around to putting points into bluff.

There are hack and slash module with no soft skills, and no rogue skills and again no outcry.  There are also modules that use use many soft skills and many rogue skills.  Most people realize that what skills are used will depend on the module/setting/author. There is no outcry.

You've failed to see that if a choice is completely useless, then it is no choice at all. Not understanding the flaws in a game that you love is not treasuring it, it's blind zealotry that does it a great disservice.

No. You have completely failed to recognize the having a choice between a variety of skills varying greatly in usefulness and general applicability is not "no choice at all". It is the very essence of what a choice is. Making a value judgment based on the information/situation.

Even if 5 skills of the 40 available were completely useless, that doesn't in any way diminish the value of the 35 actually useful skills.  It would only be a completely useless choice if ALL your options were useless and they clearly aren't.

I think you need to get beyond irrational exaggeration, and broken logic, before you start calling anyone a zealot.

Modifié par Lowlander, 13 mars 2011 - 12:40 .

Legacy_Darkon42

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 06:33:45 am »

AmstradHero wrote...

Bannor Bloodfist wrote...
Sorry, your arguments here are exactly what this person was complaining about.  You have the ability to add attributes/skills whatever to different skills.  You can increase the points for traps/unlocking things etc, but if you are NOT a rogue, those points are now wasted.  So, if you are going to FORCE a player to only be able to pick a lock if they are a rogue, then kindly turn OFF the option to upgrade that skill for any player type OTHER than a rogue.  Why waste the points for lock picking, if they are class blocked by the game engine?  

Basically, you are just reinforcing the original complaint here, while thinking you are arguing against it.

If skills are offered by the player is never given an opportunity to use them, they are useless and add nothing to the complexity of the game.  This is entirely different to having a skill restricted to a particular class, mainly because the player still has the choice to select that useful skill at the expense of another useful skill. You seem to be operating under the misconception that warriors/mages in DA can put points into lockpicking, but then can't use the skill. No, they simply can't learn the skill at all, but instead put points into their skills. In which I would suggest you do your research before making erroneous assumptions.

Yes, DA's system offers less breadth of flexibility than NWN's ability to create characters like a warrior with some (small) lockpicking talent. I don't argue for a second that there is less breadth of possible character development in DA. I'm merely stating out that character attribute and skill selection is not the single defining element of an RPG. It is for NWN players, and that's fine. But to claim that because a game is dumbed dowd/stupid/for console kiddies because it lacks NWN's complexity in that specific area indicates a narrow minded view of the entire RPG genre.

I'm not attacking NWN, the game you love so much. I'm not attacking you or anyone else. I'd appreciate the same courtesy. I'm merely addressing a point of design that has both positive and negative ramifications. I love the RPG genre, and can happily enjoy a title like NWN as well as something like DA2 or an Elder Scrolls game. They each present different strengths, weaknesses and complexity in different areas. NWN wins hands down on character building, but for balanced combat and story dynamism, DAO/DA2 are light-years ahead.

Don't dismiss a game as worthless simply because it doesn't appeal to your individual tastes.

As for your first paragraph, in both DAO and DA2, a mage or warrior could put points into Cunning, thinking it could be useful, only to be proven uttery horribly wrong. For the second paragraph, one of my friends got the PnP Dragon Age, and it feels like a campaign setting for second edition, only with fewer races and classes. On the other hand, you bring up a valid point that if the skill is never given an opportunity to be used, it is worse than never being able to select it in the first place. However, in NWN and NWN2, I have yet to see a skill that has no use, skills with little use exist, but all skills have some use. In addition, the ease of creation for NWN and NWN2 modules is amazing, when compared to Dragon Age.

To Lowlander if you ever read this, your complaints about mana magic are improperly aimed, the complaints should be towards the quick replenishment of spell-casting ability, mana magic works fine in GURPS. If you want a look at another system with good (subjective as always) mana magic, take a look at any decent JRPG (not Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest) and you will see that the MP of your caster is the precious life-blood of your party, and it will not recover easily. The only reason to prefer the Vancian system is to enforce good spell preperation on the player, which is an admirable goal, but when they are often playing a character far more intelligent than themselves, and thus far more likely to know which spell load-out would be most effective, this is simply a bad idea. EG the average RPG gamer has an INT score from 10-14 (those who play DnD style casters atleast) almost every wizard I make has an intelligence of atleast 18, when i cant predict which spell is best to have in that extra 4th level slot for int 18, my wizard probaly would, and this is best represented by a spontaneous slot, much like a sorcerer.

Legacy_AndarianTD

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »

Darkon42 wrote...

As for your first paragraph, in both DAO and DA2, a mage or warrior could put points into Cunning, thinking it could be useful, only to be proven uttery horribly wrong.

What are you talking about? I played through DA:O as a mage and quite profitably put points into Cunning. My reasons included eligibility for skills that I wanted to select and develop strongly, including Combat Tactics and Coercion. The result was that my character was pretty much able to talk himself out of any situation that could be resolved through the use of social skills, and not get his backside handed to him all the time in combat. I hardly think that proves me "utterly wrong" for thinking that putting points into Cunning was useful.

Modifié par AndarianTD, 13 mars 2011 - 01:00 .

Legacy_Luspr

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 01:31:10 pm »

SuperFly_2000 wrote...
Unfortunately Bioware is today a huge company and they must make games that fit the main bulk of computer game buyers.

Exactly, and congratulations to them for that.

Unfortunately that means that for some of us BW no longer make the type of games which we find interesting, and to my knowledge the void is still pretty much waiting to be filled. I do not know if it will be.

From a purely personal point of view I find BW's recent releases to be curiously soulless games. They are technically accomplished, yet ultimately hollow experiences. It has been a while since I felt interested in buying one of their titles, and that is a shame, really.

Legacy_AmstradHero

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 01:38:17 pm »

Lowlander wrote...
The reality is that Bluff is hardly used in any module and there is zero outrage. In fact no one cares. Because there are about 30 more useful skills to choose from and almost no one ever gets around to putting points into bluff.

There are hack and slash module with no soft skills, and no rogue skills and again no outcry.  There are also modules that use use many soft skills and many rogue skills.  Most people realize that what skills are used will depend on the module/setting/author. There is no outcry.

So, imagine those skills were never used? What would be the point of having them there? What if the OC had never used those skills? Your primary argument against other games is that NWN has more choice in character builds, but then you happily defend it even when supporting modules that take away that very choice that you complain is absent from DA2. By your very own arguments, those modules are "dumbed down" - the precise thing that you hate about games that aren't NWN.

In short. I give up. This "discussion" is no longer worth my time given that you refuse to see the logical fallacies in your own arguments. If you wish to use a biased viewpoint to cast negative aspersions on a game that you haven't even played, then I shall leave you to revel in your ignorance. I now remember why I stopped frequenting the NWN1 forums years ago.

Legacy_Guest_Lowlander_*

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 01:43:30 pm »

Darkon42 wrote...
To Lowlander if you ever read this, your complaints about mana magic are improperly aimed, the complaints should be towards the quick replenishment of spell-casting ability, mana magic works fine in GURPS. If you want a look at another system with good (subjective as always) mana magic, take a look at any decent JRPG (not Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest) and you will see that the MP of your caster is the precious life-blood of your party, and it will not recover easily. The only reason to prefer the Vancian system is to enforce good spell preperation on the player, which is an admirable goal, but when they are often playing a character far more intelligent than themselves, and thus far more likely to know which spell load-out would be most effective, this is simply a bad idea. EG the average RPG gamer has an INT score from 10-14 (those who play DnD style casters atleast) almost every wizard I make has an intelligence of atleast 18, when i cant predict which spell is best to have in that extra 4th level slot for int 18, my wizard probaly would, and this is best represented by a spontaneous slot, much like a sorcerer.

True that may possible. I have just never seen it used that way, in computer games it is usually like Diablo where mana pool is the Wizards  ammunition and when it gets low, they just need to insert another clip in the form of mana potions. DA is just like that plus they insta restore after battle.

Whether this is "streamlining" or "dumbing down" is a matter of opinion, but it appears that they have now streamlined away the ability for Warriors to use a bow.

Apparently now DA2 has Rogues who can use bows, Warriors who can only use melee weapons (no dual wielding though) and mages who can only use Staffs. Just like Diablo.

That is Dumbing down in my book. It isn't done to make encounters easier to design( Oh no is that a Arrow from a a Rogue or a Warrior?).  It is simply done to remove any of those pesky choices that would make the game appear complex for console gamers.  Warriors hit, Rogues shoot Arrows and Wizards use staffs with mana potion clips.  Just like other action fantasy games (Diablo).

Modifié par Lowlander, 13 mars 2011 - 01:46 .

Legacy_Guest_Lowlander_*

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 02:26:38 pm »

AmstradHero wrote...
In short. I give up. This "discussion" is no longer worth my time given that you refuse to see the logical fallacies in your own arguments. If you wish to use a biased viewpoint to cast negative aspersions on a game that you haven't even played, then I shall leave you to revel in your ignorance. I now remember why I stopped frequenting the NWN1 forums years ago.

I don't think you actually know what a logical fallacy is. Because you have been repeatedly engaging in the Fallacy of Composition.  I have been trying to steer you away from that, by pointing out to you that even if you can prove one (or x number) of skills are useless. It does not make the skill system useless or all the other skills useless. You just keep ignoring this point and trying to prove a few of the skills useless.

If your view is that the only good system of choice involves options that are all equally usefull, that work in all situations, then that would actually be the truly irrelevant choice, you could just pick anything and it would always work.  That of course would actually be dumbing it down.

The whole point of a real choice, is that you are examining an array of options and picking the better/best ones. It doesn't in any way, shape or form imply there should be no bad options. In fact choice is often about avoiding bad options. 

Legacy_AndarianTD

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2011, 07:31:48 pm »

AmstradHero wrote...

Say you release a game that includes a dozen non-combat skills for the player to pick from, but only one of those skills is every utilised in the game? Players would be understably and rightfully outraged. Even a player created mod that completely neglects skills or feats is taking away the much vaunted choice of development that you are so focused on. Picture a mod with no speech skills, no pickpocketing, no traps, no lockpicking... suddenly a massive array of choices for character development are gone.

I agree. I should point out, by the way, that the module of AmstradHero's that I am familiar with -- the NWN2 HOF module Fate of a City, which won the MOTY Gold award and the GDA for Most Replayable module in 2008 -- was exemplary for its thorough and broad use of roleplaying skills. So he's walked the walk on this subject, not just talked the talk.

Lowlander wrote...

You are massively exaggerating a trivial issue (making mountains out of a molehills).

I think you've just helped make our point for us.

In essence, you've just argued that the Bluff skill is useless. If that's the case, then why have it in the first place? Why not, say, combine it with Persuade and Intimidate into a more general purpose social skill, as Bioware did in Dragon Age? Because it would simplify and streamline character creation and scenario design, and that would violate the axiom that anything that does so must be excoriated as "dumbing down" the genre? Even when all that does is remove a skill that you yourself are trying to argue is pointless in the first place?

In fact, however, Bluff is not a useless skill in Neverwinter Nights. Like any other, it is precisely as useful as the scenario designer chooses to make it. It may be an unnecessarily fine-grained skill, but it is by no means useless. It was put there for a reason: to allow players to role-play having a knack for fast-talking their way through situations and challenges. Once you accept NWN's design premise of having multiple, distinct, narrow, and synergyless social skills, if anything it becomes crucial to designing effective roleplaying scenarios. Plenty of people care when it is not used, and appreciate it when it's used properly. As a module author, I make a point to use it in my work (and even partly designed one of my companions around the idea of being extraordinarily skilled at it). As a player, I routinely put points in it when I'm designing a character that I want to role-play as being eloquent or quick-witted, and am just as frequently annoyed when I play modules that ignore it. As an AME Member, I give extra marks to works nominated under the Roleplaying and Replayable module categories for using it, and for making use of a broad spectrum of available skill choices in general. And so on.

There are only two reasons why you can get away with suggesting that "there are about 30 more useful skills to choose from and almost no one ever gets around to putting points into bluff." One is that many module authors either don't know how to design an effective RP scenario, or don't care to because they're building for a player base of powergaming munchkins. (I leave it to the reader to judge for himself what, if anything, this has to say about the accusations of "dumbed down lowest common denominator RP design" that we've seen bandied about so recklessly on the BSN for the last year.) The other reason is that with a few exceptions, most builders who can do good RP design find the system of fragmented and synergyless social skills in NWN too unwieldy to use in the first place. This is easier and more straightforward with a design like that of DA:O's, where there is one integrated social skill available that can be specialized for use in a variety of related contexts.

There are hack and slash module with no soft skills, and no rogue skills and again no outcry. There are also modules that use  many soft skills and many rogue skills... There is no outcry.

If you really believe that, then I've got a bridge to sell you. As a module author, I've gotten feedback and even downvotes from players criticizing my work for perceived omissions and commissions on every point of this spectrum. I've heard it all: from "your module is unfriendly to rogues because you didn't make your plot-key locked doors pickable" and "your small rogue-skill related sidequest is too hard for non-rogues," to "your module has some locked doors and traps so it's too hard for non-rogues to complete." I've even gotten "your module sucks because my Arcane Archer can't simultaneously use his longbow skills and hold the plot item that gives him immunity from mental attacks when he's fighting the psionic monster," if you can believe it. Trust me, if there's an obscure NWN skill anywhere that some players want to use and you're not actively catering to it -- or vice versa -- then you'll get flak for it.

No. You have completely failed to recognize the having a choice between a variety of skills varying greatly in usefulness and general applicability is not "no choice at all". It is the very essence of what a choice is. Making a value judgment based on the information/situation.

Even if 5 skills of the 40 available were completely useless, that doesn't in any way diminish the value of the 35 actually useful skills.  It would only be a completely useless choice if ALL your options were useless and they clearly aren't.

Bad skill and game mechanics design of the kind that you describe here most certainly DOES diminish the value and utility of the game's mechanics as a whole. AmstradHero is dead on right about this. The mere fact that an option or a distinction is available in the ruleset, and thus might be used by some players, has profound implications for good game design. Character creation, scenario design, and game rules are all fundamentally interrelated and cannot be separated from each other.

You can try it, as you suggest, by picking a tractable subset of skills and abilities to work with, and discarding the rest. But that's only a partial solution, leading to the dead-end of trying to warn players ahead of time in a README with a list of "useful skills" to take in order to get something out of your work (and which most players won't read anyway). Module builders can get away with the consequences of this because they build for fun and don't have their livelihoods on the line. Professional developers don't have that luxury of alienating their player base in this way.

The central problem here, I think, is of scenario brittleness. That happens when a game loses plausibility or breaks down in terms of plot logic or game balance because the space of possibilities built into the game mechanics is too broad and undisciplined to predict or anticipate. This is very difficult to mitigate without devoting an enormous amount of extra work, just in terms of QA time alone, to playtesting for such problems. What that leads to, in turn, is a shrinking of ambition on the part of modders and developers in terms of the scope and complexity of the plots and scenarios that they otherwise might develop.

And what I think this points up, in the end, is a fundamental difference in terms of game design goals and preferences between players who appreciate, or who bristle at, the streamlining of game mechanics. Do you care about having a specific, evocative, and stylized kind of game experience, with a rich but predictable set of plot and story possibilities that the developer can craft for maximum effect? Or do you find that dispensible in favor of having the "freedom" to "do whatever you want and feel like" in a simulated world? In other words, do you want to experience a game as a work of art, or as a sandbox in which to play in?

That's a choice that every player has to make, and while I don't share their preferences I don't want to knock players who prefer the sandbox approach. But I would argue that it's either/or, and you can't have both. If you want story-based gaming in its highest and most developed form, and one that is accessible to a broad audience of players, then you have to be willing to accept restrictions on the sandbox, including streamlined game mechanics. If you prefer the latter, then more power to you. But then please DON'T engage in the insultingly pejorative presumption of calling the alternative "dumbed down."

AmstradHero wrote...

This isn't about having a "builder's perspective" and not a "player's perspective."  A builder must understand the system, but also understand what it means for all players. Designers play and love games, but they are players who think about and analyse the mechanics and presentation of the games that they play [emphasis added] ...

So, imagine those skills were never used? What would be the point of having them there? What if the OC had never used those skills? Your primary argument against other games is that NWN has more choice in character builds, but then you happily defend it even when supporting modules that take away that very choice that you complain is absent from DA2. By your very own arguments, those modules are "dumbed down" - the precise thing that you hate about games that aren't NWN.

Precisely. Thank you.

I'm with AmstradHero on this, and also have nothing further to add.

Modifié par AndarianTD, 13 mars 2011 - 08:21 .

Legacy_Lord Sullivan

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2011, 07:48:38 pm »

Well,  I realized a while ago that there is no arguments that will really win a "VERSUS" challenge when it comes to 3D PC video games as it's all about preference and for different concepts of games it's about what the player cares about. That's pretty much all it is.

As for me, NWN is the better game between these two because NWN brings so much to the table compared to DA.

As for those who keep saying that the NWN OC was mediocre, well you only speak for yourselves as I loved it and have noticed troughout the years that plenty of other players did also, so again... preference.

Be cool. ':police:'

Legacy_Guest_Lowlander_*

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2011, 11:56:48 pm »

AndarianTD wrote...

The central problem here, I think, is of scenario brittleness. That
happens when a game loses plausibility or breaks down in terms of plot logic or
game balance because the space of possibilities built into the game mechanics
is too broad and undisciplined to predict or anticipate.

You guys have spent paragraphs targeting the social skills as some great problem, but the notion that they would create brittleness is complete nonsense. There are no unintended/unpredictable effects of the social skills. They don't have any effect at all except in conversation where you specifically code in the check. That skill check will lead to a simple pass/fail outcome. That is all.  I weep for you guys if the horrible complexity of a pass/fail skill check  in a conversation keeps you up at night.

There are definitely brittle modules out there.  I have played a HUGE amount of mods, read about many issues with them on the vault, I have broken a few, and tracked down one bug for an author. I don't rememember and instance where a bug was related to the complexity of character design.

There were largely related to incompatible overrides, hitting triggers in an unexpected/untested order, wierd texture bugs.  I would like to see what character complexity bug in a module looks like.

Do you care about having a specific, evocative, and stylized
kind of game experience, with a rich but predictable set of plot and story
possibilities that the developer can craft for maximum effect? Or do you find
that dispensible in favor of having the "freedom" to "do
whatever you want and feel like" in a simulated world? In other words, do
you want to experience a game as a work of art, or as a sandbox in which to
play in?

Sandbox vs story on rails is really a different topic. Either taken to extremes suck. Again you are largely equating unrelated things.

If you want story-based gaming in its highest and most
developed form, and one that is accessible to a broad audience of players, then
you have to be willing to accept restrictions on the sandbox, including
streamlined game mechanics. If you prefer the latter, then more power to you.
But then please DON'T engage in the insultingly pejorative presumption
of calling the alternative "dumbed down."

With a well designed rich character system, there is no necessity that the module designer will have to deal with greater complexity.

It doesn't matter if my Rogue fights with a Two-Handed sword, or that my Fighter uses a bow, or that a combat class gets extra damage from Weapon Specialization, Favored Enemies, Divine Might etc....
It doesn't matter if my AC bonus comes from Tumble, Dexterity, Monks abilities, etc...
It doesn't matter if I am a pure Fighter, or a Fighter/Ranger.
This "complexity" is all handled Engine side.   It is simply damage/defence. The only concern is balance. This supposed complexity simply doesn't need to be factored. Which I guess explains why the heavy attack on the social skills they cross from engine side to module side.

Thus you can extensive variety and richness in character creation, and the joy that brings many players, with no impact on module designers.

When choice is removed from players, for the sake of making it making it simpler for players, it clearly is "dumbing it down".

A perfect example is DA:2. Where wizards can now only wield a staff, warriors can only wield melee weapons( but not dual) and Rogues can only use Archery/Dual wield.  This is almost identical the cookie cutter characters in Diablo. Same three classes, same name and even same weapon allocations (with minor exceptions).

These simplifications don't simplify module design, it is just more simplification for players. It is clearly dumbing it down.

Whether DA:O is similarly dumbed down is open for debate. I think it is. You don't. We aren't going to see eye to eye on that one.

NWN is great because it allows players to build awesome characters they can connect with and authors to tell truly great stories ( like Baldercaran's Prophet ).  You can even enjoy it with your friends in Multiplayer.

Great Character building for players.
Great story telling for authors.
Multiplayer to play with your friends.
Live DM capability.
Persistent worlds for a whole different group experience.

Modifié par Lowlander, 14 mars 2011 - 12:12 .

Legacy_AndarianTD

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 02:09:18 am »

Lowlander wrote...

You guys have spent paragraphs targeting the social skills as some great problem...

That's ridiculous. My reference to social skills was an offhand illustration of one aspect of how an unwieldy and overly complex rule set complicates scenario design. You're the one who blew it into a major issue that required fisking with your self-contradictory assertions about how having "options" like using Bluff are simultaneously important, and irrelevant because nobody uses them, at the same time and in the same respect.

...but the notion that they would create brittleness is complete nonsense. There are no unintended/unpredictable effects of the social skills. They don't have any effect at all except in conversation where you specifically code in the check. That skill check will lead to a simple pass/fail outcome. That is all. I weep for you guys if the horrible complexity of a pass/fail skill check in a conversation keeps you up at night.

First of all, you're just missing the point. But leaving that aside for a moment: if you want an example of a NWN social skill that can have unintended/unpredictable effects and cause game imbalance, then you don't have to look any further than appraise. Ever play a badly designed NWN module with a high appraise character, and run into the "buy low sell high" exploit? You're damned right it leads to scenario brittleness.

Back on point, though: scenario brittleness in NWN tends to come more from the complexity of the combat system than anything else. I actually considered adding a note to my previous post to clarify that, but it was already too long and I figured it was too obvious for anyone to misinterpret what I wrote in the way that you did. My mistake.

With a well designed rich character system, there is no necessity that the module designer will have to deal with greater complexity... This "complexity" is all handled Engine side. It is simply damage/defence. The only concern is balance. This supposed complexity simply doesn't need to be factored.

NWN1 is notorious for the fact that the engine does a poor job of "handling" these issues. Indeed, addressing some of them is one of the reasons why Bioware designed the DA engine the way it did in the first place. Anyone who's ever tried to build a challenging module for NWN1 and had to deal with players complaining about how the battles were too easy for one build and impossible to beat for another knows this full well, and in spades. You might not run into this problem so much if you only play or build for powergaming munchkins -- but to my mind that defeats the purpose of having an expansive ruleset for character design in the first place.

Your assertion is so brazenly counter-factual to anyone who has ever played (much less designed) for NWN1 that I really don't see any value in continuing this discussion. Feel free to take the last word here, since I will not I will not be responding further. I'll just close by quoting the following, with which I strongly agree and which I think does a very good job of summarizing my own views.

AmstradHero wrote...

Yes, DA's system offers less breadth of flexibility than NWN's ability to create characters like a warrior with some (small) lockpicking talent. I don't argue for a second that there is less breadth of possible character development in DA. I'm merely stating out that character attribute and skill selection is not the single defining element of an RPG... But to claim that a game is dumbed down/stupid/for console kiddies because it lacks NWN's complexity in that specific area indicates a narrow minded view of the entire RPG genre [emphasis added].

I'm not attacking NWN, the game you love so much. I'm not attacking you or anyone else. I'd appreciate the same courtesy. I'm merely addressing a point of design that has both positive and negative ramifications. I love the RPG genre, and can happily enjoy a title like NWN as well as something like DA2 or an Elder Scrolls game. They each present different strengths, weaknesses and complexity in different areas. NWN wins hands down on character building, but for balanced combat and story dynamism, DAO/DA2 are light-years ahead.

Don't dismiss a game as worthless simply because it doesn't appeal to your individual tastes.

Modifié par AndarianTD, 14 mars 2011 - 02:52 .

Legacy_Guest_Lowlander_*

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 02:39:31 am »

AndarianTD wrote...
First of all, you're just missing
the point. But leaving that aside for a moment: if you want an example
of a NWN social skill that can have unintended/unpredictable effects and
cause game imbalance, then you don't have to look any further than appraise.
Ever play a badly designed NWN module with a high appraise character,
and run into the "buy low sell high" exploit? You're damned right it
leads to scenario brittleness.

I have never seen it happen, only small deltas. But I have read about it happeing. But that would hardly be module breaking and it would using a exploit. In other words cheating to take advantage of it. No better than dm_givegold on the players part.

I have seen much more often the endless experience points exploits simply related to poor scripting. Again it is an exploit and cheating to make use of it.  Even though this potentially more game breaking because you level up characters unexpectedly, I don't consider it game breaking because again, if you want to cheat ...

Exploits happen in every game and they are essentially cheating to make use of them and really only game breaking if they player wants to cheat.

AndarianTD wrote...

Anyone who's ever tried to build a challenging module for NWN1 and had to deal with players complaining about how the battles were too easy for one build and impossible to beat for another knows this full well, and in spades. You might not run into this problem so much if you only play or build for powergaming munchkins -- but that's certainly not my idea of CRPG design that isn't "dumbed down."

DA has just as much imbalance between characters as NWN and the engine doesn't correct for it.

Play with three out of your four characters being Wizards and you will obliterate everything.

Play with none of your four characters being Wizards and you will be in the opposite situation.

Modifié par Lowlander, 14 mars 2011 - 03:05 .

Legacy_martixy

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 04:15:08 am »

This thread got way too long, way, way too fast.

It's all about keeping the mind engaged and that's an individual thing.
Some find it in tinkering with their characters, some find it in immersing themselves in the setting. Resource-wise, these two are strictly mutually exclusive.
So yea, this discussion has about as much point as arguing on FPS vs RPG, which is just a level higher on the plane of distinctions.

For me, I find both fidgeting away at my character/party in NWN/IWD just as enjoyable as exploring the vast world that is BG/PS:T and presumably Dragon Age(it works in a "whatever strikes my fancy at the time" way), though I still haven't gotten around to it due to lack of time(besides, I've found games like these are best left to mature a couple of years, just like good wine they get better with age).

Legacy_rogueknight333

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 06:51:48 am »

I have not played DA and so my qualifications to comment on this topic might be questioned, but I would like to reiterate that the biggest advantage of NWN over DA (and any other game that comes to mind) is of course that if you do not like the typical NWN experience you do not have to put up with it. You can probably find a community-made module that better fits your playing preferences among the countless available, and if your tastes are eccentric enough that you cannot, then you could always try learning the toolset and making the sort of module you do like. Your options with other games are going to be much more limited, and this is going to remain a decisive advantage of NWN until someone comes out with another toolset that reaches an equivalent balance between power of capability and ease of use (which does not seem likely to happen any time soon).

Speaking as a module builder who makes great efforts to give almost every skill in NWN significant utility, and to make combat challenging, tactically interesting and balanced for a wide variety of class possibilites, and thus has much experience with some of the difficulties in doing so, I can see where AmstradHero and Andarian are coming from. Nor am I an unqualified fan of 3E D&D character building rules, which do have balancing and other flaws. Ultimately though some of their claims come across as a bit exaggerated to me. There are some virtues in simplicity, and it is certainly theoretically possible to reach a point in designing rulesets where the complexity becomes unmanageable. I do not, see, however, that NWN has actually reached that point (it might be a fairer criticism against NWN2, which has an even larger number of poorly balanced prestige classes and player races, arguably useless feats, etc.). Aside from the poorly implemented Parry, how many NWN skills are actually useless? The social skills, or a subset of them, might be useless, if the module builder has made no effort to make them so. Likewise Pickpocket might be useless, if the builder has not bothered to give NPCs anything that can be pickpocketed and/or done nothing to mitigate the potentially game-breaking consequences of a failed pickpocket under default system. Not much else comes to mind.

As far as balancing combat goes, it seems to me that character building options of at least some complexity actually make this easier. My goal in encounter design is to avoid too many combats that are cakewalks (boring) and too many that are so insanely difficult there is nothing for a player to do but keep reloading until he gets lucky (also boring). Instead one wants combats where a player who charges in headlong without thinking about what he is doing will get his backside handed to him, but that become quite manageable with intelligent use of tactics (interesting). The trouble with highly simplified character options is that they tend to make characters into one-trick ponies. Then if the trick works, combat is too easy, but if not, too hard. A mage-type character, for example, who can do nothing but zap foes with blasts of X power (I use hyberbole to illustrate the point, and do not assume DA's system is actually that simplistic. The trend, however, does seem to be in that direction.) has far fewer options against difficult foes than one who, as in a more D&D-like system, has access to numerous spells that do qualitatively different things and can be combined in synergistic ways. More complex characters and game systems give characters more resources and tactics they can call upon in difficult fights, which makes fights more interesting, and makes it safer to provide difficult, challenging fights, since there is a much better chance that some trick at the player's disposal will work. From what I can see, in fact (though perhaps my limited gaming experiences are not representative) newer games using more console-gamish systems seem to have much worse combat balance than older games like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale (which maintained exactly the kind of balance I described above: brutal to players who were careless or did not know what they were doing, but quite manageable to tacticians) that used complex and quirky D&D rules (admittedly the character building options in those 2E games were simpler than in NWN - but still much more complex than those in DA appear to be). Many people also found Baldur's Gate to have one of the most memorable story-telling experiences of any RPG ever. Complex rules (at least if they are not too complex) are clearly not a decisive obstacle to either game element.

In any case, I am not sure a comparison between the two games should come down solely to simple vs. complex character building options, since there are many other criteria by which an RPG can be judged.

Modifié par rogueknight333, 14 mars 2011 - 06:55 .