Author Topic: Anyone ever seen this bug?  (Read 788 times)

Legacy_olivier leroux

Anyone ever seen this bug?
« on: March 06, 2011, 09:35:14 am »

While playing a community module I've encountered the weirdest bug I've ever seen in NWN. All of a sudden, transitions wouldn't work when I clicked on them, NPCs and henchmen wouldn't speak to me anymore and when I used the radial to give commands like "Follow Me" noone listened, not even my familiar. I was still able to run to around by clicking on the floor though. It all felt like like a timed-out internet connection or serious lag on a server - but I was playing a SP module offline...

Even weirder, when I loaded a savegame of a different community module, the issues persisted. Only when I restarted NWN everything went back to normal. I loaded a savegame of the first module, the one where the issues had risen, and played on until I reached the spot where things had gone wrong, a conversation, a fight, and after that it all happened again. So I assume it's connected to something in this module - but what could that be? Any idea what could cause NWN to act in such a strange way that the issue persists until the whole game is restarted?

':blink:'

Modifié par olivier leroux, 06 mars 2011 - 09:37 .

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:27:06 am »

nope, havent seen this yet...

give us more iformations about that module, name, required haks, exact spot where it happens, and best to provide a savegame before it happens

Modifié par ShaDoOoW, 06 mars 2011 - 11:27 .

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:32:56 pm »

The same issue happened to me while playing a 2010 module recently, amazing the number of people playing 2010's modules actually... Even to your henchy point though. I reloaded or maybe quited and everything went back to normal, as you said.
I'm getting highly suspicious around that particular module you were, and maybe I, playing.
Now, for the safe of the community, I hereby command you to say the name of it, to have its author facing... our thanks for making a module, but our concern about freeing it of some bug...
If it's a 2010's one, my usual bablings would make surprisingly a lot of sense.
For a change.
I couldn't remember the name, but obviously, you can.
Again, as ShaDoOoW was saying, it's only for the sake of us all.

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:51:34 pm »

What is in some inn, first floor, where an undead boss is waiting for you, last room on the right?
(I still have a "bug" screenshot...)

Modifié par jmlzemaggo, 06 mars 2011 - 12:52 .

Legacy_olivier leroux

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 01:23:09 pm »

Yep, that's the one.

Challenge of the Overfiend (HotU, no haks required)

Scanning the comments on the Vault page I see that other players had trouble at the exact same spot, too, and the author is aware of a glitch, according to the update notes:

"9.The Abandoned Inn in Edenbrook had a strange glitch where it wouldn't allow you to leave the 2nd level without saving and reloading the game. I reconnected the transition so it should now work properly."

But it doesn't work properly and it's got to be something worse than just wrongly connected transitions. So far players have only reported the transition not working but like I said, it also concerns the options to speak to NPCs or command henchmen and it's not restricted to just one module after the damage is done; in my case, I had to restart NWN to get rid of that glitch ...

(Actually you *can* leave the 2nd level, the transition works alright at first, but only until you meet the undead boss, talk to him and fight him.)

Modifié par olivier leroux, 06 mars 2011 - 01:30 .

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 02:51:24 pm »

Question:  Did all this happen without using any overrides?  If you where using overrides could you try the spot again without then too see if it still happens.

Legacy_olivier leroux

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 04:45:18 pm »

I did use my usual set of overrides (1.69, Ravenloft GUI, Kamiryn's Customize Character & Unlocked Voicesets & Portraits) but I've never experienced any issues with those before. And in fact, when I tried it with a completely empty override folder just now, I was still able to recreate the bug/glitch. So the overrides don't seem to be the problem here ...

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 07:03:34 pm »

The override is rarely the problem. I have been playing with the same only one for... months.
Years?

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 12:55:26 am »

I just fought the boss on the first floor and had no glitches.  So I am at a loss right now.  Ill look at the scripts later and see if they give some other insight.

Legacy_olivier leroux

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 01:36:12 am »

Did you fight him on your own or with the help of the two henchmen you can meet on the way? Just wondering, in case you just quickly playtested that specific area (as I wouldn't expect you to play from the beginning just to recreate the glitch) - could it be the error is introduced earlier in the module, by some settings/variables or by any henchmen or items that the PC gathers before entering the inn?

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 01:47:04 am »

I never saw anything like that.

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 02:51:13 am »

Ok, This was an odd one.  As best as i can tell it is being caused by a corrupted script. My best guess is that it is throwing the stack pointer off on the stack that the scripts are placed onto.

Anyway the script is krane.ncs & .nss corupted. 
I uploaded a temp fix of the .NCS file that you can place in your override folder   This is just a blank script to keep the corrupted one from running.  
Download File

He also has errors in the following scripts. 
azzuthenalkill.nss 
greedcombo.nss 
ivanaiscript.nss
leavingwatercave.nss 

None of then should cause problems like the other one did.  I am just including them encase you where going to make a bug report on the vault. 

*hangs his head and  cringes, Waiting for the angry responce as he states.*  I still dont have an account on the vault,  that is the reason i'm not making the report.

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:48:51 am »

Good job, Lightfoot8.
Now, let's Olivier make it. That's is baby.

Legacy_TimG

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 01:58:40 pm »

I posted some queries about this module on the vault the other day and got a response pretty quickly so I'd say the author's still keeping up with fixes.  The module's pretty fun when it works right.  There's still room for polish but it's getting there.

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 05:26:05 pm »

It's a fine module, but there is a lot of work to be done in it.
Still, it's a very interesting and rare one to play an epic paladin, and quite funny as well.
Very H&S.

Modifié par jmlzemaggo, 08 mars 2011 - 05:29 .