Author Topic: Strange bug. Anything I can do short of re-installing?  (Read 423 times)

Legacy_Dracanish

Strange bug. Anything I can do short of re-installing?
« on: May 12, 2013, 06:22:31 pm »

Game Version: NWN 1  + both xp's v 1.69 (1.70 installed)
Game Language: English
Retail or Digital: Retail CD
Processor Manufacturer: AMD 
Processor Type: AMD A6-3420M
Processor Speed: 1.5GHz Quad Core
Operating System / Service Pack: Windows 7 SP1
System RAM: 4 gigs
Video Card Manufacturer: AMD
Video Card Model: Radeon 6520G + 6400M
Video Card RAM: 512/1024MB
Video Card Driver Version: Catalyst 12.8
Sound Card Manufacturer:N/A
CD/ROM Type: CD/DVD reader/writer

The problem, in short, is this:
http://imgur.com/WFzTlr9

I am playing Runes of Blood with all resources downloaded and installed from NWVault. I come to this area in particular and the entire map is bugged - my friend who is playing with me sees it normally but still encounters problems - probably because I am host. All maps to this point have displayed and worked normally. I am floating above all visible objects while this is happening, monsters and interactive objects give an out of reach error. Some npc's float at my level. My friend sees me walking through walls, indeed I can proceed anywhere unimpeded. Kind of immersion killing.

My installation of NWN is salvaged from my old laptop's hard drive that ran out of reallocatable sectors. so I realise this is likely the problem. However my discs are currently in another country so reinstalling is not an option unless I re-buy the game, so hoping there's a fix for this without going that far.

Thanks in advance for your help, any advice is much appreciated.

Legacy_Dracanish

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 06:29:03 pm »

Quick update, seems my xp1_tiles.bif is about 68 megabytes too small. Sourcing a replacement from a friend, good feeling this will fix everything.

Legacy_kalbaern

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:59:28 pm »

It sounds like you never did the critical rebuild for 1.69. Even though the last/latest releases of NWN "say" they are 1.69, they lack everything found in the critical rebuild.

Legacy_Dracanish

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:33:29 pm »

Nah I'd done the critical rebuild already for sure. Even tried reapplying it. Sure enough, my xp1_tiles.bif was corrupted when my old laptops hard drive gave up, I pasted a friend's copy of the file over it and everything works great now. Resolved.