Author Topic: Odd NWN video problem --x1650 card worked fine with XP/SP1, fails with SP3  (Read 526 times)

Legacy_AlanC9

My brother has a fairly obsolete PC -- single core Athlon. It's a junker he got from his ex-girlfriend. 

A month or two ago I gave him my copy of NWN2, which his rig's video card couldn't handle. So he upgraded the video to a used ATI x1650, which was the best thing he could find these days for an AGP slot. (Yeah, I know, he should have junked the whole machine.) NWN2 ran OK, and NWN1 still ran just fine.

Then a couple of weeks ago he got rid of his pirated Win XP/SP1 version and installed a clean (and legal) XP copy with SP3. After that, NWN1 would not run at all. Splash screen comes up, and then atioglxx.dll throws an error and the game crashes.

Thinking that it was a problem with his install, he uninstalled and reinstalled. The game still won't run. I reinstalled on my own rig (x1650 and XP/SP3, though I've got a PCI-E slot). Runs fine for me.

Anyone have any ideas? He's using the 10.2 drivers, which are the last ones ATI released, and probably the last ones they ever will.

Legacy_Lord Sullivan

Here, try these holder drivers as they were the last drivers exclusive to the X1xxx series. After, the drivers were mostly enhancement support for the HD2xxx, HD3xxx, HD4xxx, etc...

Download ATI Catalyst 7.1 32bit XP

Legacy_AlanC9

Well, that was wacky. The 7.1 driver refuses to install on his system -- it says it doesn't detect either a compatible OS or compatible hardware (really informative error message, that). It installed fine on my system, of course.

Modifié par AlanC9, 05 juin 2012 - 04:31 .

Legacy_Gorath Alpha

See if the archives of the Omega Drivers include the same series.  Those have had various filters that needn't have been included, removed.  It allows me to run old video cards in much newer OSes, and vice versa, newer video cards in old OSes.

Legacy_Lord Sullivan

AlanC9 wrote...

Well, that was wacky. The 7.1 driver refuses to install on his system -- it says it doesn't detect either a compatible OS or compatible hardware (really informative error message, that). It installed fine on my system, of course.

Just a little thought, does he also have intergrated graphics on his system? cause I remember once that I had a
similar issue on someone's system until I discovered that he had plugged his monitor cable in the intergrated
graphics socket. Plugging the cable in the graphics card display socket and booting the system resolved the issue.

Modifié par Lord Sullivan, 06 juin 2012 - 12:08 .

Legacy_HipMaestro

Can you get hold of SP2?  I know with my ancient ATI running on XP I had a problem with NWN, other games and certain other software when I attempted to use SP3.  I had to revert back.  NWN2 should run fine with SP2 as well.  BTW, what version of DirectX is in the current rig now?

Legacy_AlanC9

I don't think SP2 is an option for him --- the reason he got off SP1 in the first place was that he needs SP3 to run the version of iTunes that supports his current gadgets. So SP3 broke stuff? Well, at least we're not going crazy here.

I'll see if I can dig up an appropriate Omega driver.