Author Topic: Nvidia or ATI for NWN?  (Read 441 times)

Legacy_SuperFly_2000

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« on: September 26, 2011, 10:34:35 pm »

Thinking to buy a new computer and it seems some of the best one, in that price range, actually use ATI graphic cards. Radeon that is.

I was thinking...which one gives the least problems with NWN?

I know that Nvidia did have some problems with some drivers on some cards but I still have a feeling that Radeon has more consistent problems with running NWN and hence should be avoided?

Modifié par SuperFly_2000, 26 septembre 2011 - 09:41 .

Legacy_SuperFly_2000

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:40:34 pm »

The Nvidia cards I am talking about are usually GTX550i, GTX550, GTX560 and GTX 460.

Also I'm talking about using the NWN toolset.

I know another thing that can potentially cause problems (specially with the toolset) is using a non XP windows system...

Modifié par SuperFly_2000, 26 septembre 2011 - 09:42 .

Legacy_Lord Sullivan

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:09:50 am »

I don't know what you're talking about regarding ATI Radeon cards, i have had a few different models in the past 12 years and never had any problems with them at all, aside from the fact that since the HD series you can't have "Shiny Water" anymore as it is visually broken when you look at it turned on.

However, the lastest Nvidia cards that were suffering from broken drivers  in regards to NWN as been fixed since July, so you shouldn't have a problem with either brands if you don't care for shiny water and always have it turned off, but if you are like me and prefer Shiny water to work, then i'd say go with an Nvidia.

Legacy_Master Jax

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 06:21:40 am »

This has been covered many times over the last few months. Perhaps you should make a search of the forums. I have an Nvidia GTX 285, and the only card I would change this one for would be a GTX 590. I've had my fill of ATI issues.

Legacy_SuperFly_2000

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:22:44 am »

Yeah, thats what I thought. Its a shame, as Radeon 6850 seems to be better than Geforce GTX 550 for everything else....and oh well...guess I have to choose computer that has Nvidia then...

Legacy_SuperFly_2000

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:16:51 pm »

Doh...and now I read somewhere that someone had lightning speed scrolling in the toolset on his new computer...this is not something I want lol...guess no new computer for me...

Legacy_Pearls

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:56:51 am »

Enabling vsync fixes any scrolling problems. I've used ati cards for getting on ten years and other than disabling shiny water, I've never had any issues.

Legacy_SuperFly_2000

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 04:22:15 am »

Pearls, I was talking about in the toolset.

Can you disable vsync there?

Modifié par SuperFly_2000, 29 septembre 2011 - 03:22 .

Legacy_Pearls

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 04:44:27 am »

Just force it from Catalyst for OGL. The "Off, unless application specifies" setting is fine for general use since the toolset uses vsync in that case.

Modifié par Pearls, 29 septembre 2011 - 03:47 .

Legacy_SuperFly_2000

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 05:11:53 am »

...and in english? :-P

Legacy_Pearls

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 06:30:01 am »

The toolset has no problems with speed if you force vsync, so the only reason the toolset would run too fast is if you forced it to run fast. '=]'

I've run most of the high-end cards from ati now for years, from the 9800, X1950, 3970 and now 6990s, and can't report any problems that weren't to do with human error or driver updates. However there's still no shiny water support so it's up to you for that.

After the HP Nvidia debacle I've avoided Nvidia cards in anything but it's probably just a blot on an otherwise good record.

Modifié par Pearls, 29 septembre 2011 - 05:38 .

Legacy_Master Jax

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 06:32:19 am »

Both Nvidia Control Panel and ATI Catalyst Center have options to force or override graphical aspects in any program; he's talking about the vsync override, which basically is set to always, never, or leaves it up to application specs. Vsync is the synchronization of frames per second between the video card and the display you're using (monitor, hd screen, etc.) I don't know, however, if such fixes the scrolling issue you mentioned. The only thing I can ascertain is I had an ATI HD3870 which gave me lots of trouble with NWN and many other games (it actually died because of baking), and I've had a GTS 250 Twin Frozer which ran perfectly, as well as my present GTX 285. Maybe it was the model, maybe it was luck; whatever the case, I won't buy another ATI card ever again. People say the shinny water-lacking is not important but I will say this: Nvidia got word from players NWN wasn't running correctly on new cards, and they fixed it, even though the technology is going out, the game is old, and there aren't that many gamers playing it. The shinny water issue was reported to ATI and they placed the blame on Bioware, refusing to make any fix. I won't support a company like that, specially when there's another with a long history of quality products.

Legacy_ShinsFortress

Nvidia or ATI for NWN?
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 04:25:07 pm »

I've used both cards over the years, though I come from the other direction to Jax.  I was Nvidia (and 3Dfx before that) for a long time, up to the 7600GT.  Then the worse problems began.  I drew the line with terrible problems with an 8800 GT Super+.  ATI all the way now.  Not bug-free by any means.  The Catalyst suite in particular has some particularly problematic versions.  However, in terms of value for money (e.g. performance / power consumption) the ATI have seemed better for me.

In short, there is no one answer to the orginal question since no single manufacturer stays in the #1 spot for reliability forever.