Author Topic: Deluxe edition on Linux  (Read 428 times)

Legacy_BOwlder

Deluxe edition on Linux
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:55:31 am »

Game Version: unpatched NWN 1 deluxe edition, with Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark installed as they all came on one disk.
Game Language: English
Retail or Digital: Retail DVD
Processor Manufacturer:  Intel
Processor Type: intel core 2 duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 MHz
Operating System / Service Pack: Ubuntu 11.04
System RAM: 2 gigs
Video Card Manufacturer:  NVIDIA
Video Card Model: Quadro NVS 160M
Video Card RAM: 512 megs
Video Card Driver Version: the nvidia-current package in the Ubuntu repo, 270.41.06-0ubuntu1.
Sound Card Manufacturer: ?
Sound Card Model: ?
Sound Card Driver Version: ?
CD/ROM Type: ? CD/DVD, RW/R

I have two questions.

First, I recently bought NWN deluxe edition 2nd hand.  Is it possible to run it natively on Linux?  The game runs pretty well under wine 1.2, but a native client would hopefully be more stable, less CPU intensive, and have other benefits.  I have searched and found other people asking the question, but the links included there are now dead.

Second, I find the included updater doesn't launch properly.  Anyone else have experience with this, know how to fix it?  What am I missing out on by not having a properly patched game?

Legacy_Skildron

Deluxe edition on Linux
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:39:24 am »

If you have a working wine install, then it is pretty easy to get to run the native Linux client. Copy the following dirs and file from your wine install to a new dir on your hard disk:
ambient/
data/
database/
dmvault/
docs/
erf/
hak/
localvault/
modules/
movies/
music/
nwm/
override/
portraits/
saves/
scripttemplates/
servervault/
texturepacks/
tlk/
utils/
chitin.key
dialog.tlk
dialogf.tlk
nwncdkey.ini
xp1.key
xp2.key
xp2patch.key
NWNHordes_Manual.pdf

If some of them are not there, don't worry, some are only present in international versions, if you have played for some time or if you already installed community made modules.

After copying this download and unpack in your shiny new nwn Linux dir the following files:
nwclient129.tar.gz
nwclienthotuintl.tar.gz
English_linuxclient169_xp2.tar.gz

Next, run ./fixinstall in your your nwn Linux dir.

Last, but not least, open the nwn script in your nwn dir in the text editor of your choice and remove the ./lib: statement from the line
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib:./miles:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Now, run ./nwn

The nwn linux client should start up and be ready to use.

To your second question: The automatic updater has stopped working years ago, probably due to some internal file reorder on the bioware servers, so that it cannot find the needed files any longer.

You miss out on the latest bug fixes and content additions if your game is not patched up to 1.69. Many community modules that have been updated or published in the recent years need this version. If you use the above procedure, your Linux version of nwn will be patched up to the latest updates.

For your windows/wine version, you need to install the "Critical Rebuild" patch. Search the forums where to download and how to use it, there are plenty of posts on it.

Greetings
Skildron

Modifié par Skildron, 21 août 2011 - 08:46 .

Legacy_BOwlder

Deluxe edition on Linux
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:58:58 am »

Thank you Skildron for the clear and easy to use directions.  That was easy!  And it runs without the disks now, too.  A note for anyone following these directions in the future, make sure you have around 3.5 gigabytes free for the Linux installation.

I wasn't even aware that NWN had such an active community when I got it.  I'd just asked an acquaintance for advice on the best games of 5 -- 7 years ago.  What a great surprise to find active webboards and a modding community.