Author Topic: Cannot run installation on Vista  (Read 440 times)

Legacy_sogar

Cannot run installation on Vista
« on: July 03, 2011, 11:24:29 pm »

Whenever I insert the disc in and I click install, nothing ever pops up. I have had it installed before. I had to uninstall it, and I had trouble doing that. So I just manually deleted it from my hard drive.

Modifié par sogar, 03 juillet 2011 - 10:43 .

Legacy_sogar

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:36:22 am »

BTW, it's the gold version. Don't have the Shadow of expansion pack though. And I have Vista Service Pack 2.

Legacy_HipMaestro

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:25:04 am »

sogar wrote...
Whenever I insert the disc in and I click install, nothing ever pops up. I have had it installed before. I had to uninstall it, and I had trouble doing that.

Howso?  Isn't the Windows InstallShield executable working properly?  If not, you probably have a more serious issue than simply uninstalling one game.  The registry needs to be reset as software is removed from the HD so unless you also made those changes as you deleted the files, you can expect problems with a reinstall.

You can use Shia's instructions for Win7 (a sticky above) for installing Vista, but until you resolve the corrupted uninstall, it may not help much.

I would probably revert to a Windows system restore date before you attempted the manual reinstall and then resolve the InstallShield issue before removing any software.

Modifié par HipMaestro, 04 juillet 2011 - 10:35 .

Legacy_sogar

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:32:04 pm »

Yeah, I thought the way I deleted the game may have caused this problem... but I couldn't uninstall it without manually deleting it like that. It kept saying something couldn't be found every time I hit uninstall. Couldn't reinstall it either. Is there a way to solve this problem without doing a system restore?

And to be more specific, what happens when I load the disc is that I get the option to click autoplay to install it, but nothing loads or happens.

Modifié par sogar, 04 juillet 2011 - 04:41 .

Legacy_HipMaestro

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 06:54:52 pm »

sogar wrote...

Yeah, I thought the way I deleted the game may have caused this problem... but I couldn't uninstall it without manually deleting it like that. It kept saying something couldn't be found every time I hit uninstall. Couldn't reinstall it either. Is there a way to solve this problem without doing a system restore?

And to be more specific, what happens when I load the disc is that I get the option to click autoplay to install it, but nothing loads or happens.

Are you running your Windows session as Admin?  XP forces it to be done that way but IIRC Vista gives options.  It is possible your machine "thinks" the game is still installed and ignores any request to install again.  Been there myself and it has nothing to do with the app but rather how your OS is keeping track of all the files associated with it. 

My limited guess is that even though the original install seemed to work properly, the install may have been corrupted somehow, perhaps inserting a bad registry entry. Then when InstallShield tried to uninstall, it couldn't follow the registry indexing.  Dunno.  Just a guess based on a similar situation I had myself on an older machine.

Usually, when InstallShield won't uninstall it is because the registry got screwed up when some file associated with the app (like a DLL, for example) got moved, removed or renamed improperly.  It would be important to copy the exact diagnostic you got when attempting the uninstall because it is sometimes possible to copy over the offending file from the install disc and manually place it where it was supposed to be if it can be identified.

Perhaps a more tech-savvy member may have rersolved something like this and recommend a solution.  Hang loose for the holiday crowd to check in.

Legacy_sogar

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 07:07:04 pm »

I think I'm running as admin. I managed to manually delete Neverwinter Nights from my registry, so it's not in the add and remove program list anymore. It will won't load the installation though.

How do I run it as admin or check if I'm running it as admin?

Modifié par sogar, 04 juillet 2011 - 06:12 .

Legacy_sogar

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:33:33 pm »

Okay, I managed to install it. I just opened the folder from the disc drive and clicked the set up icon. Didn't know you could go into the folder from straight from the disc like that...