Author Topic: Never winter nights just doesn't play.  (Read 392 times)

Legacy_izzyspint

Never winter nights just doesn't play.
« on: March 13, 2011, 03:44:25 pm »

Hey, i've just download neverwinter nights diamond from a site called GOG on the net. My brother downloaded it and it was fine but he's on Vista.
The problem that happens is literally this: I start up NWN and the play/dm client/ toolset and yada yada comes up. I press play, the large eye comes up as if it's loading, it disapears and then nothing happens. No little window saying error - (Insert random nuber here) or anything.

So, i updated my drivers, they're all fine.
I tried to reconfigure all the graphics to a really low setting and tried again.
I also pressed test in the configure screen and it said that i can test the configuration because i need 'OpenGL' or something like that.

So i'm a bit stuck.
Here's my specs:
Model: DELL XPS 8100
RAM: 8GB (4GBx2)
Processor: Intel i7 2.9 Ghz
Graphics card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460

Legacy_Gregor Wyrmbane

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:56:35 pm »

You may have multiple issues. You didn't specify but I'm assuming you're running windows 7. If you haven't already, you'll need to make sure you're running NWN as an administrator, and that the compatibility settings are for windows xp with either service pack 2 or 3. I think the quickest way to address those two issues are to right click on the "nwmain.exe" file in your NWN folder, and pick the "compatibility" tab when the little window pops up. You'll be able to set both of those variables in that window. Then just left click on that same file to start the game, instead of using any of the shortcuts that were created during installation. Once you get the game to run, if you're having trouble with the frame rate that's going to be an issue with your graphics card. I don't think the card you're using is compatible with NWN. Not sure about that, but I've seen a lot of other folks on these forums having frame rate issues trying to use the newer GT cards.
Hope that helps.

Legacy_Skildron

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:50:02 pm »

This thread explains in detail the issues with nwn and gtx 4xx nvidia boards. But if the configuration utility misses the openGL drivers, then your nvidia drivers are not set up properly. OpenGL is a part of the video drivers. Newer boards and drivers shun it a bit in favor of DirectX, but it still should be there. Perhaps you have to choose the installation of the OpenGL part of the drivers explicitely during installation - as I don't own a nvidia board, I cannot tell for sure.

HTH
Greetings
Skildron