Author Topic: Multiplayer with space in username  (Read 516 times)

Legacy_YJM

Multiplayer with space in username
« on: December 30, 2010, 04:37:28 pm »

Hi everyone,

I am sure there must be a thread on here somewhere about this, so apologies for the repost.

Anyway, I have had a break from NWN for a year and I have tried to log in to the multiplayer service however I have a space in my username - gamespy is replacing this with an underscore. The problem is however, my characters on servers no longer appear because they see it as a different username.

Is there any workaround for this problem?

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:42:50 am »

Characters are stored on whatever computer is hosting the server. The only thing you can really do is get ahold of the people running the server and see if they can solve your problem.

Legacy_YJM

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:03:23 pm »

Eeeek, surely this has caused major inconvenience for some people? What do gamespy/bioware have to say about this?

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 05:14:13 pm »

YJM wrote...

Eeeek, surely this has caused major inconvenience for some people? What do gamespy/bioware have to say about this?

Since I have heard no uproar about this.  I decided to check and see if there has been a change with the way gamespy handles spaces or not.  I did this by checking the server logs I have here.   There are people who have spaces in thee names that have logged onto the server here as recent as two day ago.  The spaces in there names are not being replaced with sapces antwhere that I can see.  They have access to all of there characters they have in the server vault. 

If your account name is having spaces replaced with underscores in the server you are trying to play, It is most likely something they have changed about how there server handles account names.   The server is most likely running third party software to do this.  

Once Again,  yoour best cource of action is to get ahold of the people running the server. 
They are most likely the only people who can help you.  

Legacy_HipMaestro

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 06:30:44 pm »

I am interpreting this problem differently, though you may be dead on with your take, Lightfoot.

It appears (to me) that the account name itself was changed from one with spaces to one with underscores, like from "Bob Smith" to "Bob_Smith", I suppose.  The OP's description seems to imply that though they type the Player Name "Bob Smith" in the Player Login screen, after attempting to join an internet game, an error occurs that seems to indicate that Gamespy changed the Player (acct) name.  The way to test this is to attempt to add each version (the one with spaces and the one with underscores) to the list of buddies.  If it is a valid account name, it should be able to be added with no problem.  So if "Bob Smith" can be added, it exists as far as Gamespy is concerned.

If it's simply a server side issue, then the OP should have no problem joining many other servers and should test this as well, to support their claim about the offending server and in that case,  follow Lightfoot's suggestion.

Bioware and Atari have absolutely nothing to do with the maintenance of the GameSpy software so the best recourse would be to lodge a complaint or inquiry directly with GameSpy which has an adequate customer service interface.  How quickly they respond is anyone's guess.

Account names with spaces are quite common on GameSpy, BTW.

Modifié par HipMaestro, 01 janvier 2011 - 06:37 .

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 08:08:48 pm »

I myself dout it has amything to do with game spy or boiware.  It would not be that hard to check if either is adding the underscores in place of the spaces.  All the OP would need to do is start there own standalone server.   Log into it via gamespy and check to see if the spaces have been replaced  on the server screen.   If they have not.  It is a problem/change to the server he is trying to log into.