Author Topic: Trying to play Multiplayer Online  (Read 430 times)

Legacy_Kraggoth

Trying to play Multiplayer Online
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:36:29 am »

Hello, I own NWN Diamond & recently persuaded my girlfriend to buy it and play it with me! In the mean time i have found out that this game is Chaotic Evil when it comes to setting it up correctly. I apologize in advance if this is a dupe thread, i know there are many like it but they all seem to trail off or say "I solved it" and not explain how, and the search function failed me.

I have read plenty of guides, faqs, what have you trying to get it to work and so far i have had no luck.

I have successfully ran and had multiple persons connect to a Minecraft server so im not too retarded, in any case here are some of my attempts and results.

No port fowarding via router and no Windows Firewall port exceptions - Server cannot be seen, connection timed out when joining from the list and from direct connect using both types of IP addresses

Port forwarding via router (Opened all ports listed in bioware FAQ) and no Windows Firewall port exceptions -  Server cannot be seen, I cannot authenticate my name, connection timed out when joining from the list and from direct connect using both types of IP addresses

No port forwarding via router and Windows Firewall port exception 5120 UDP - Server can be seen, connection timed out when joining from the list and from direct connect using both types of IP addresses

Port forwarding via router (Opened all ports listed in bioware FAQ) and Windows Firewall port exception 5120 UDP - Server cannot be seen, I cannot authenticate my name, connection timed out when joining from the list and from direct connect using both types of IP addresses

I think i got those right... So yeah im stumped, and i cannot figure out (if its possible) how to give MULTIPLE port exceptions to my firewall, it only allows one at a time, so i'd have to create 180 exceptions individually between 5120 and 5300, but thats absurd and can't be correct... right?

I've tried doing this in-game and with the nwnserver.exe, we both have the latest version + critical rebuild.

I am stumped... If its something on her end i'll find out tomorrow when i get a hold of her laptop and mess with it, but if anyone can suggest something in the meantime i'd really appreciate it, thanks in advance!

Legacy_Calvinthesneak

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:27:12 am »

www.portforward.com

Find your manufacturer, router, and then NWN.  They have a very very extensive list, should be able to help you with the forwards.

Legacy_Kraggoth

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 06:42:13 pm »

Hehe yeah i took a look at that one already, http://portforward.c...WN/NWNindex.htm, i have a NetGear RP614v2 router and the ones listed are RP614, RP614v3, RP614v4.

Does this mean i won't be able to get it to work? I just assumed it meant they didn't specific instructions for my specific router.

I already took a look at RP614 and RP614v3 instructions and followed those as close as possible and opened those ports listed (noted in the tests of my original post), and when checked they are indeed open.

Problem is when i open them my game can't authenticate my name for some reason when i click multiplayer, it lets me through with a message saying some features won't be available because of it.

Blah... Anywho thanks for the reply. Keep em coming!

Modifié par Kraggoth, 23 décembre 2010 - 06:43 .

Legacy_Snottling

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:14:56 am »

Setting up a static IP on your computer might be what you need to do. Not the one you buy from your ISP, but a local one. I think portforward.com has a guide on how to do that.

If you want to, you can run your router in DMZ mode (sometimes referred to as Exposed Host). This means no router firewall, so you should only run it like that to ensure that nothing else is wrong with your computers and such.