Author Topic: NWN Diamond: CTD after intro movies & further bizarre behaviour  (Read 506 times)

Legacy_Murgatroyd

NWN Diamond: CTD after intro movies & further bizarre behaviour
« on: December 09, 2010, 08:13:57 am »

I am running Win7, playing NWN Diamond with both expansions and Kingmaker installed.

The game crashes to desktop immediately after skipping through the opening movies. Allowing them to play through and end in their own time results in no change. When I altered nwn.ini as instructed here....

http://nwn.bioware.c...627443&forum=49

....I finally reached the main menu, but got another CTD immediately after clicking anywhere on the screen. The  HotU 1.69 critical rebuild appears to have no effect, both before and after changing nwn.ini.

I reinstalled all content fresh, but the situation remained unchanged. After running the crit rebuild again, NWN appears to start normally, but minimises to the taskbar when it reaches the menu. From here the game can be returned to fullscreen, but immediately minimises again within a couple of seconds and can only be closed with task manager. I'm unable to test the game's apparent dislike of clicking the mouse on a fresh install until I can get it to stay open for me.

I have custom content installed, but the game was running perfectly under exactly the same configuration a few months ago. It was only when firing it up for a quick game that events transpired as above.

Please help.

Legacy_Skildron

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:27:51 am »

Did you switch out some hardware or did you update any (especially graphics) drivers since you last started nwn successfully?

Did you install any system updates?

What are your system specs?

Greetings
Skildron

Legacy_Murgatroyd

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 10:02:18 am »

Same hardware as before, no driver updates that I can recall. I'm running Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit on 2.4GHz Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4600, 2 gig of ram and a GeForce 8600 GT. Windows seems to update every five minutes, so it's safe to say there have been changes there, but I haven't noticed any other issues.

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:00:17 am »

I have had the same thing happen on my XP system from time to time. For me it always seems to happen when windows flips to a differant applacation or back to the desktop while clicking past the movies.  Try clicking a little slower making sure you only click on the screen after the next movie appears.

If that does not do it for you and you are trying to log into a server, Just create a shortcut that will take you directly there without playing the movies.  Info in link below. 

nwn.wikia

Legacy_Murgatroyd

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 09:35:12 am »

Slow clicking seems to have solved the problem. Odd, but acceptable. Thank you, gentlemen (or ladies, as the case may be). I shall sacrifice a small chicken in your honour.