Author Topic: Merchant and Limited Gold  (Read 505 times)

Legacy_UnrealJedi

Merchant and Limited Gold
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:01:51 pm »

You can set a merchant to have limited gold. My question is this: If you buy something from the merchant does that gold get added to their reserves?

For example, you set a merchant to have a limit of 10K in gold. You buy an item worth 1K gold. Does that 1K get added to the 10K, making it 11K?

Legacy_Builder__Anthony

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 04:12:13 am »

i dont think so

Legacy_kalbaern

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 07:48:33 pm »

UnrealJedi wrote...

You can set a merchant to have limited gold. My question is this: If you buy something from the merchant does that gold get added to their reserves?

For example, you set a merchant to have a limit of 10K in gold. You buy an item worth 1K gold. Does that 1K get added to the 10K, making it 11K?

Yes, it should work that way. If the merchant can also identify items for a fee, those fees should also add to the store's running total.

Legacy_UnrealJedi

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 06:40:17 pm »

Just an update...ran some tests and found out that any money paid to the merchant does indeed add to his/her gold piece reserves.

Legacy_kalbaern

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:21:39 pm »

If this is a SP Module or a Private Campaign, the merchants with limited cash can be a nice option. If this is intended for a PW, you might want to reconsider. On several PWs I've worked with over the years, merchants (especially when they pay a premium or buy something no one else does) with limited cash see a "run" as soon as there is a reset. I.e., Players knowing that payouts are limited will "rush" to Merchant "X" as soon as they can to sell their stuff before someone else depletes the reserves. In the end, this just generates alot of bickering and whining amongst players.

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 09:25:02 pm »

I actually see that as a feature, Kalbaern. Not the whining but the restriction of payout at a merchant.

The real problem as I see it is that most "treasure" on a PW is useless, and thus almost all of it is sold to a merchant in exchange for gold. Thats the problem to solve. Giving merchants unlimited gold is not the solution in my view.

But your world, your rules.

Legacy_kalbaern

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:06:56 am »

henesua wrote...

I actually see that as a feature, Kalbaern. Not the whining but the restriction of payout at a merchant.

The real problem as I see it is that most "treasure" on a PW is useless, and thus almost all of it is sold to a merchant in exchange for gold. Thats the problem to solve. Giving merchants unlimited gold is not the solution in my view.

But your world, your rules.

Your basic premise I agree with, however ... when a PW has 50+ players on as a norm, it does at times cause OOCs conflicts to erupt.

Now that I'm thinking on it, I may try and make a merchant or two that limits their max payout to each PC per reset.

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 01:57:57 am »

@Kalbaern.  That sounds like the rout to go.   You may also want to keep track of the amount the PC buys from the merchant also and add it back to the total they can sell.  I know there have been a few times when I have bought  a few things to a merchant so that he had enough gold to by the big ticket item I was wanting to sell.