Author Topic: Decision Time!  (Read 450 times)

Legacy_AstoundingArcaneArcher

Decision Time!
« on: February 07, 2012, 07:24:17 pm »

My module development is currently on hiatus. Content wise, I have not gotten very far on my module, Kindred Spirits, the grass is looking greener on NWN2's fence. KOTOR-esque convos ( I hate reading the tiny window NWN1 has.) and updated 3.5 rules for the ranger, e.g. combat style feats and the increased effect deities have.

Do I buy it and create Kindred Spirits on NWN2's toolset?

Legacy_henesua

Decision Time!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:17:15 pm »

Your choice. I don't understand why you would have to ask others about this. If I was open to either and making a decision about which toolset to use, I would purchase both and test both.

But I chose to work with NWN without even considering NWN2 for a variety of reasons:
(1) Smaller community in NWN2
(2) More flexibility and more tools on the NWN 1 side.
(3) If I wanted the best toolset to work with I would use neither and write my game from scratch... but take forever to get anything done by myself.

I include (3) so that you get a sense of perspective on this. You can't sell this game. So you probably shouldn't agonize over aesthetic details like how the dialog box looks. Neither NWN 1 or NWN 2 looks very good. At least NWN 1 has a tremendous selection of active and talented artists working on custom content. NWN 2 does not have as vibrant of a community.

And FYI it is very easy to completely rework the classes in NWN 1. A 3.5 ranger would be easy to do.

Legacy_Lightfoot8

Decision Time!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »

I also have never owned nwn2,  But I have heard a lot of people say that its's toolset is harder to use.  You may get more get better answers if you asked on the nwn2 boards.

Legacy_Dylmani555

Decision Time!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:55:38 pm »

I personally despise NWN2 it is one of the many things that obsidian has ruined, fallout in there aswell. if you're agonising over which toolset to use, remember, your creation on either won't be a game, simply a mod or campaign for an existing game. If you wish to make your own, try learning java or emailing Iron Genesis to ask if they need some help with their first game. If i recall correctly, Iron Genesis's e-mail is contact@gameitgames.com and their website is gameitgames.com Have fun and let me know if you choose to go to Iron Genesis... I wanna know what they're like.

Legacy_Decedion

Decision Time!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 11:48:55 pm »

I agree with you all. I didn't care for the interface or animations of NWN2. thoroughly disappointed in the game after spending money on a new video card just to be able to play it. I had difficulties trying to use it's toolset (admittedly I'm not the smartest guy around when it comes to using a toolset) but I had no problem with the original toolset once I got the hang of it. They did such a terrific job with the original game.

Legacy_AstoundingArcaneArcher

Decision Time!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:04:46 am »

I wonder who thought I was going to create a completely new game, I think I'll stick the old but trusty NWN toolset for now, and Dylmani555 should calm down, Obsidian did give MotB and from what I've heard, it's pretty good. There's an excellent Let's Play of it on the Something Awful LP Archive. Thank for your help, everyone!