Author Topic: Pushable Placeables  (Read 769 times)

Legacy_Sydious

Pushable Placeables
« on: July 24, 2011, 08:30:00 pm »

Is it possible to make a pushable placeable? Statue that slides around by being pushed (Dragged)by the pc?

Legacy_CID-78

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 09:08:35 pm »

not like you do in zelda and that kind of adventure games. you can move placeables with scripts. ie create/destroy or give a creature the apperance of a placeable and allow it to move around.

Legacy_Quillmaster

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:37:19 pm »

I hadn't thought of the creature option.  Currently working on a mirror I want the player to twist, so I set waypoints at the two possible angles, then destroy one mirror while creating the other.  Even though they're the same object, I made the two unique so that I can give them different descriptions to describe the changed reflections.  It's not ideal as you see one fade out while the other appears, but it does the job, and I think most players would be forgiving considering the limitations of the toolset.

Legacy_Sydious

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:13:26 am »

CID-78 wrote...

not like you do in zelda and that kind of adventure games. you can move placeables with scripts. ie create/destroy or give a creature the apperance of a placeable and allow it to move around.

Ya creatures should work. Thanks for your input.

Legacy_Axe_Murderer

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »

Quillmaster wrote...

I hadn't thought of the creature option. Currently working on a mirror I want the player to twist, so I set waypoints at the two possible angles, then destroy one mirror while creating the other. Even though they're the same object, I made the two unique so that I can give them different descriptions to describe the changed reflections. It's not ideal as you see one fade out while the other appears, but it does the job, and I think most players would be forgiving considering the limitations of the toolset.

Although you cannot move them, you can rotate them without having to recreate them like that. SetFacing will work.

Legacy_Xardex

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 10:04:42 pm »

You could consider using a visual effect to conceal the swap. Cheesy, but does the trick.

Modifié par Xardex, 25 juillet 2011 - 09:05 .

Legacy__six

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 07:36:58 pm »

If you don't mind using a bit of custom content, creating several visual effect copies of the placeable with a simple sliding animation could look really cool, and far smoother than changing positions by script. You'd choose which way to move based on the angle between the creaturing using the statue and the statue itself.

See, now I want to try it too, darn it

Modifié par _six, 26 juillet 2011 - 07:34 .

Legacy_Vipre

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 08:25:35 pm »

How about a placeable that doesn't actually move but has an animation (as in, Activated/Deactivated or Opened/Closed) that makes it appear to move. Is that not doable?

Imagine for example an "invisible" chest on it's side whose "lid" is a bookshelf which when set by click or script to open/activated slides out and away from the wall. No need for fade-in/out or other it just slides. No good?

(Edit: I fear I may have misunderstood the OP, though I'm still curious if this has been thought of or done.)

Modifié par Vipre, 26 juillet 2011 - 07:34 .

Legacy__six

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »

Hm. Having just implemented the basics of statue pushing myself (I did say you'd made me want to try it) by having the statue move one square of a small grid along whichever axis the player pushes it from, I've noticed a few problems.

Firstly, if the placeable blocks movement, then the player will always move to a certain position around it before using (namely, where the use node is in the model). You can get around that either by adding an empty .pwk for the placeable, or by simply placing it 50cm to a metre below ground level, so the placeable's walkmesh gets ignored by the game. Either method should make the player able to push from any direction.

Secondly, the fading animation placeables use when created and destroyed seems to be unstoppable. Which means adding a sliding animation on top might look a little weird. But I haven't taken a shot at implementing that yet.

I did try to post my code, but these forums hate me.

Modifié par _six, 26 juillet 2011 - 07:43 .

Legacy_Pstemarie

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 08:45:36 pm »

I'm pretty certain you can place multiple use nodes - I've seen some of the Bioware placeables have as many as six.

Legacy__six

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 03:53:53 am »

Having had a mess around with the use nodes, it seems no matter how many you add, only two are useable. For some reason the first and last declared in the model are used, and any others ignored. I might be creating some kind of other problem with the pwk, I suppose, but I tried it several times.

Very strange.

My solution was to make a minimal amount of the model block the player and include only one use node in the centre. As it is using from all sides works fine, albeit with the player's leg sticking into the statue a bit.

Modifié par _six, 27 juillet 2011 - 02:56 .

Legacy__six

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 04:53:30 am »

Darn you, visual effects. Darn you and your glowyness.

Modifié par _six, 27 juillet 2011 - 03:53 .

Legacy_Mad.Hatter

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 05:03:35 am »

That's really not bad _six.

Legacy_CID-78

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 08:05:42 am »

do the visual effect just slightly bigger so you don't see the popup of the static statue.

Legacy_Pstemarie

Pushable Placeables
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 11:43:04 am »

Nice work Six