Author Topic: Modifying BaseItem 2da for Weapon Finesse  (Read 596 times)

Legacy_KlasaSokata

Modifying BaseItem 2da for Weapon Finesse
« on: January 20, 2011, 03:52:17 am »

Hello there, I currently am trying to undergo the task of making Longswords work with Weapon Finesse. Now, I have read on the old Bioware forums somewhere that this could be done by modifying the BaseItem 2da file and making Longswords Finessable in exchange for making a different weapon Unfinessable, such as Kukris, for example. Unfortunately however, I have no clue in how to do that, so I would appreciate assistance in this.

Thank you in advance.

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:55:35 am »

You have to switch the kukri and longsword lines.

I do not know where you get that idea, but there will be side effects. A weapon feats on kukri will in fact work on longsword and vice-versa.

Modifié par ShaDoOoW, 20 janvier 2011 - 03:56 .

Legacy_Pstemarie

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:56:53 am »

I wouldn't go switching lines in ANY 2da, especially baseitems.2da. You'll pretty much bork everything that has to do with long swords and whatever entry you switch it with - feats, item properties, etc. - since the hard-coded references will no longer point to the right lines.

Legacy_TSMDude

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:09:17 pm »

You can set one local variable on a CEP or other custom weapons to have weapon focus etc according to a standard Bioware weapon.

IE: nunchucks that dynamically add attack and damage bonus according a player's light flail feats.

I have the full system in our module and have no problem shooting it out to you if you want.

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:19:03 pm »

TSMDude wrote...

You can set one local variable on a CEP or other custom weapons to have weapon focus etc according to a standard Bioware weapon.

IE: nunchucks that dynamically add attack and damage bonus according a player's light flail feats.

I have the full system in our module and have no problem shooting it out to you if you want.

I guess you are using effects and itemproperties, for singleplayer module this is not so bad, for PW this is almost useless. The only proper solution is NWNX which needs server.

Well OP needed to allow DEX mod to have influence on AB with nonrmally non-finnessable weapons. That is possible to do with attack bonus, but this counts toward the +20 cap, so this can work on low levels, but at higher levels starting with 20, players will reach +20 pretty easily...

Modifié par ShaDoOoW, 20 janvier 2011 - 10:21 .

Legacy_TSMDude

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 10:38:11 pm »

We use it on our PW without a problem actually but we also use NWNX to set the caps a bit higher.

What we did was make a longsword "perfectly balanced" and gave it the variable for finesse and it was usable this way.

Though your right that without NWNX this would on a world that allows more magic than ours it would become overbalanced quickly. (We are also a low magic so it helped.)

Modifié par TSMDude, 20 janvier 2011 - 10:40 .

Legacy_KlasaSokata

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 03:02:17 am »

Well hmm.... It turns out my initial idea was a terrible one. I would be interested in hearing about your variable method, as well as learning more about this NWNX?

Legacy_FunkySwerve

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 08:16:45 pm »

You can find the nwnx website here, with links to the forums:
NWNX Forums

There is a plugin by acaos written specifically for this - we use it to make katanas finessable. It's only available for linux, though. You can find it here:

NWNX Weapons Plugin thread

Funky