Author Topic: OK I need something cleared up...  (Read 950 times)

Legacy_keyofrassilon

OK I need something cleared up...
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:05:42 pm »

And thats to do with the Community Expansion Pack... First off why does some modules require the older versions when the newer should update this? Plus I ran into a problem using a module that required CEP 2.2 and I have only CEP 2.3 installed... It said I was missing all of the 2.2 version files... Why in the world would you want to make it so each new version that comes out one would have to download the ENTIRE package 100+ megs? Plus when I go about writing a module using 2.3 and this becomes obsolete so will my module? I guess Im confused here... Shouldnt I only need version 2.3? And if I get around to getting my module done an update comes out I wil have to redownload the entire thing to update? Or maybe the download I grabbed was incomplete...  I did get it from the NWN Vault though....

Thanks in advance!

Legacy_CalSailX

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:27:31 pm »

I understand your flusteration with CEP, but to get new content you pay a price.

Why in the world would you want to make it so each new version that comes out one would have to download the ENTIRE package 100+ megs?

Ans: Well who would have thought this game would still be hopping years later

and it's not like a CEP design team got together and laid out a real plain to

deal with version updates.

NOT to meantion that some of the early work was done before we know about nwn,

add to that some of the game updates from bioware didn't nessary play nice with

custom content added. NO real plan for where custom content entries end up in control files.

That said CEP versions go back a ways earliest I'll had to use is 1.53, but yea kinda a pain at times.

Modifié par CalSailX, 19 janvier 2011 - 11:28 .

Legacy_keyofrassilon

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »

Do I run the risk of overwriting anything if I download version 2.2 and install that? If not then I suppose Ill just have to deal with it... I suppose that making a module that requires these earlier hak packs would force one to add it to Custom Content? If so good because I hate to download these earlier versions then all the sudden my module requires them both lol

Legacy_kalbaern

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »

keyofrassilon wrote...

Do I run the risk of overwriting anything if I download version 2.2 and install that? If not then I suppose Ill just have to deal with it... I suppose that making a module that requires these earlier hak packs would force one to add it to Custom Content? If so good because I hate to download these earlier versions then all the sudden my module requires them both lol

You should gain all the required files once you run the CEP Updater. It should be found on the Vault page for the CEP.

Legacy_keyofrassilon

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:54:15 pm »

True but if I already have 2.2 downloaded I wouldnt want to download it again using the updater... Anyone know if copying over these CEP 2.2 files will overwrite anything in CEP 2.3?

Legacy_Tyndrel

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:08:06 am »

If you have CEP 2.3 you should be able to play any module that uses CEP 2.0 onwards. All versions of CEP since 2.0 have been backwards compatable all you need is to ensure that you have all the versions of the Top Hak in your hak folder and all the .tlk files in your tlk folder.

The whole purpose of the updater is to remove the need for the huge downloads. ':wizard:'

Hope this helps. 

Legacy_kalbaern

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:08:49 am »

2.3 is backwards compatible with 2.2 and 2.1 if you use the updater.

Legacy_keyofrassilon

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 12:15:41 am »

Not if you dont want to do the whole download thing again... I only want to download this once... If I reinstall my system wouldnt I have to download all these files again? ... Anyways I figured out what was wrong... I now have the right file and updated it all proper... Thanks for the help

Legacy_kalbaern

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 01:20:02 am »

If you've still not ran the CEP Updater, you're missing content from at least 2.3. This isn't a complete re-download. The Updater will selectively replace obsolete stuff and add new content both.

Legacy_TSMDude

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 01:41:09 am »

Actually it is better to download the CEP 2.1 and then run the updater as doing JUST the 2.3 has caused problems for several people and I think Barry made a post about that and that it would be fixed but not sure if it ever was.

So download the CEP 2.1 then run the updater.

Legacy_keyofrassilon

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 07:37:13 am »

See heres the problem... What happens if I no longer have internet and I have to reinstall windows? Im screwed if I have to use an updater to pull from the net... This is why with everything I use offline I download the complete package...

Also after installing CEP 2.3 I was missing over 100+ heads... I reinstalled CEP 2.1 and they came back... Why did that happen?... Please for my sake could someone give me the correct way to install this WITHOUT using the updater so I have everything that CEP has to offer?

Modifié par keyofrassilon, 20 janvier 2011 - 07:37 .

Legacy_NorthWolf

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 11:32:02 am »

Get the files, use the updater, then make a backup of your new, proper, up-to-date files on external media. Then your computer could catch fire and you'd still have a working set of CEP files.

Legacy_keyofrassilon

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 07:16:51 pm »

Ok now I ran the updater and now nothing works... cant open anything in the toolset... says its missing cep2 add doors hak... I look and its in there... So now what? Seems like the updater made things even worse for me and now I wasted 3 hours on this... If I cant get a straight answer at this point as to how to properly install this Im ditching the whole CEP and sticking to the standard!

Someone HAS to have made an install that will do all of this without using that damn updater... I think at this point I may have to reinstall NWN because everything is so screwed up at this point I might not be able to fix it... I was doing fine until I wanted the new stuff... seems that the version of CEP I was using was working but it didnt have all the new tilesets etc... That was 2.1 I think I dont know now because its getting so confusing!

If anything at the very least if I use CEP 2.3 how do I get the CEP 2.1 heads to work? If I can get that to work Ill be happy and continue to use this in my project... OR are there alt head packs i could use?

Modifié par keyofrassilon, 20 janvier 2011 - 07:49 .

Legacy_keyofrassilon

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 09:00:40 pm »

So far I am missing heads 35 to 150 and various body parts that were in 2.1... Pretty much anything not stock NWN models as fr as appearence goes... All the custom clothing is gone.... Basically its like I got a choice use 2.3 for the tilesets and stick with stock NPC looks or use stock tilesets and have various npc's/// I tried adding heads from other authors but they dont work either... This is beyond frustrating... Can anyone PLEASE help me out here?

Legacy_kalbaern

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 09:09:42 pm »

Look in your hak folder and see if there are any cep haks that instead of ending in ".hak" they end in ".hak.update". If so, delete the ones ending in ".hak.update" and rerun the updater. You also need to make sure that NWN (even the toolset) is closed while you update or strange glitches like you've reported will occur.