Author Topic: Dm crash on enter?  (Read 489 times)

Legacy_Who said that I

Dm crash on enter?
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:34:28 pm »

Okay I do not know wether to put the question here or on the scripting section so I just do both.

What we recently have found out is that the DM's have an unnatural talen for crashing the server. As we are using no other hacks than CEP2.2  but we have a lot of imported ERF thingies in here. We wondered what the problem might be and hoping you guys could help us with an answer where we thought that we couldn't get one.

So if anyone knows whats going on or had this problem before, please help em solve the issue since this is getting really bad.

Legacy_Badwater

Dm crash on enter?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 07:17:28 pm »

Any module has a hard resource limit of 16k resources. Any created item, area, placeable, creature, etc. - including hak resources such as CEP - uses 3 resources. What is possibly happening is that you're exceeding the hard resource limit.

This happened with our PW several years ago. We had to trim the excess; useless NPCs, conversations, scripting...we eliminated small areas in favor of large ones. For example, a town might have had 5 buildings that took up 8 interiors, so those 8 interiors (24 resources) would be combined into one area.

We found that even though the module has a hard limit of 16k, that it worked ideally when resources were kept under 15,500.

I don't know the circumstance of your server, but my rebuilding project has been over the course of the past two years to trim all the nonsense generated by 7 or 8 previous builders, going through everything to figure out what is essential and what is not. If you are not using a standard resref naming convention, I suggest you implement one. Backtracking later will be far easier for it.

Legacy_Lightfoot8

Dm crash on enter?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:37:57 pm »

To try and keep this answer in one spot. Here is her other post with more responces Dm crash on enter?

Legacy_Selene Moonsong

Dm crash on enter?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 01:36:11 am »

Yes, let's use the linked topic, I'll close this one to prevent confusion.