Author Topic: Shadows of Siranda: Revival.  (Read 676 times)

Legacy_Forever Sunrise

Shadows of Siranda: Revival.
« on: March 16, 2015, 11:43:00 pm »

Shadows of Siranda is one of the oldest zombie survival modules made for the original Neverwinter Nights. Based on the very first zombie survival module made by DM_Ronin, SoS eschewed established traditions when it first came out. Rather than be a slow-paced affair where survivors are essentially helpless against the undead, player characters were encouraged to actively fight against the horde whenever they could, gaining experience and special tokens from the kills they made. The server was envisioned as a persistent world that began with the living on the verge of extinction, and would document their heroic resistance against the undead hordes.

Now, nearly ten years later, I am almost ready to present Shadows of Siranda: Revival. This is an updated, re imagined version of the original server which has spent more than six months in development. The server features the same active system of PC development as the original, with survivors fighting a furious guerrilla war against the armies of unlife while simultaneously struggling to uncover the secret behind the force that has so completely devastated their island home.

Those people familiar with the various different versions of SoS that spun off when the original ceased to operate around 2008 will be delighted to hear that a vast amount of effort has been put into completely renovating the aesthetic of the module. Cities have been expanded in size and been treated to extensive makeovers. Places such as Bastion, Eledhreth, Baraban and Imrithil are bigger, grander and more visually impressive than they ever have been before. There are also many more kinds of undead than before; players can expect to fight a diverse population of zombie humanoids in the cities, infected animals in the woods, and the drow and their converted slave races in the Underdark. A few screenshots are included below to illustrate some of these changes.

http://postimg.org/image/9vg0w4iqf/ - The Drow outpost that leads to their surface portal. Note that environmental lighting has been turned off in this screenshot.

http://postimg.org/image/j4p9oudmz/ - The town of Baraban. The hill behind the town leads to the castle, which contains the town vault.

http://postimg.org/image/k73mj4flf/ - Faeloth mountain. Note the remnants of defensive positions on the mountain slopes.

http://postimg.org/image/sl3ia261r/ - The Island Sanctuary. One of the few completely safe locations available to the survivors.

Any player who has previous experience with zombie survival servers will have no difficulty adapting to the new experiences presented by Shadows of Siranda: Revival. The standard scavenger system is in place, which allows players to search for goods and items at predetermined locations throughout the island. Death is permanent barring the use of clerical magic, or special crystals which are capable of bringing souls back from the afterlife at certain blessed altars. The server level range is 1-16, with certain areas (such as the Underdark) containing items and enemies balanced for high level characters.

In its current state, the module is fully functional and has a host on standby. However, I'm looking for scripters to help me refine and enhance the module code, which is currently quite primitive by modern standards. The purpose of this post is to announce the module to the wider community, and to inform players of its existence. If anybody is interested in playing, please post your interest in this thread. When enough players are ready, I will inform the host to put the server up on the global list. This initiative has been put in place to ensure that the server has a healthy and active playerbase from day 1, a measure which I have noted has been absolutely crucial to the success of multiplayer persistent worlds in the past.

In the meantime, feel free to make whatever inquiries you like. I will do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Quick Edit: This should actually be in the Persistent Worlds forum. My mistake. Can a helpful moderator please move it?

Legacy_icywind1980

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 08:30:41 am »

Looks good! I've never played a survival mod before, but I'd be willing to give it a go. Will there be any use for charisma based skills such as  persuade, appraisal, bluff etc? Will there be any banned classes or races? What is the resting system like?

Legacy_Forever Sunrise

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:25:32 pm »

The resting system is restricted to certain areas that don't have any zombies infesting them. Charisma-based skills have never really been of any mechanical use in ZS servers, but generally DM's will take into account the efforts of high-charisma players. My personal rule of thumb always is that skill checks never supplant good roleplaying, so the ability to state things in a naturally appealing way will get you just as far as having points in Persuade. There may at some point be content which uses these skills in the mechanical fashion, but there is none at the moment.

As for classes and races, all of the former are available to players. As for the latter, exotic subraces are subject to DM approval. You will need a decent backstory and demonstrate the appropriate roleplaying credentials to quality for playing a special subrace. We do use LETO, so we can apply any relevant racial bonuses to eligible characters.

Legacy_Knight Teore

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 02:28:02 am »

This server will be back up and running? I was worried that it had fallen into history. I know plenty of player worlds that have, shame a lot of them never got posted online after the fact of things. I'll have to check it out again, just only got into this game again.

Been looking for a few old haunts that I used to go in, this one's perfect given most of what I used to do is....well, nonexistant heheh. I'll have to eye it up. Looking forward to when it reaches completion, would definitely have a home for a few folk there.

Legacy_Taelon

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 01:56:20 am »

Is this still in action or anything? I am wanting to play!