Author Topic: Building Areas  (Read 1298 times)

Legacy_Tonden_Ockay

Building Areas
« on: August 09, 2014, 02:48:40 pm »

Hi

I have been thinking about building the sword coast and may be more using multiple modules for anyone who wanted to, could download and use. I would have each city as it own module and each road leading to the cities as their own module. I would put in basic shops with no magic items and no quests. This way people could use them to do what they want.

If I were to build out door areas Cities, Rural, Forest, and so on to put on the vault for others to use. Would it be better to build them with just the standard tilesets or use ones that would look a lot better but then people would have to download and use haks to use my areas. I guess the real question is. Do most people now days have a problem downloading and using haks or do a lot of them still like to stay with the standard tilesets with little to no haks.

I have been thinking about doing this for a few years now but was playing other games. I'm older now and I don't really enjoy playing other games any more. However I really enjoyed playing with lego's as a kid and I remodel house in real life now. So I have always and still enjoy building and making things. I also really enjoyed DMing AD&D 2nd edition back in the day as well.

I loaded NWN back on my computer and started toying around with the tool set. I have downloaded different player made tilesets and expansions to the standard tilesets that look really nice to work with. Plus I made a base module that has CEP and HCR working in case someone wanted to in port any modules into.

I am asking you all because you guys stuck with NWN and know the player base more then just about anyone. I bought and played NWN when it came out, but was to into the MMO's at the time and didn't stick with NWN.

I would be very grateful for any and all insight from you all.

Thanks for your time

Tonden

Legacy_Proleric

Building Areas
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:34:54 pm »

Definitely no problem with using haks. There are so many excellent fan-made tilesets and game enhancements to choose from.

Legacy_Draygoth28

Building Areas
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:10:16 pm »

I would definitely be interested in this if you used the newer tilesets.

Legacy_Shadooow

Building Areas
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 06:15:22 pm »

Definitely no problem with using haks. There are so many excellent fan-made tilesets and game enhancements to choose from.

actually there is a problem...

using haks itself is not, majority of builders do use haks, but there is a big diversity between haks, especially since CEP2 failed to become a standard platform and many builder decided to create their owns haks... Also some builders still use CEP1 and some uses Project Q. Doesn't have to mention that they are all incompatible with each other right?

So, if you want to make a "prefab" areas (which sound awesome), maybe going hakless would be better for your goal as that way everyone can use them...

Legacy_Tonden_Ockay

Building Areas
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 07:11:45 pm »

Here are the tileset haks I was thinking of using

HCR you not be part of the prefabs, but I was thinking of using one of the CEP's to help interiors look better.

I really would like to do this. I just wasn't sure if very many people would use my prefab's if I used tileset haks like the ones I posted above. If people don't have problems now days with downloading and using haks then I will use them. However if people really don't care to download prefab's that use tileset haks and would rather use the standard tileset then I can try and see how I could do it with just using the standard tilesets. I just don't think it will look as nice as it could is all.

Legacy_Shadooow

Building Areas
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 07:41:20 pm »

Well I can tell you right away that I wouldn't be able to use your work. Though, Im not building my PW anymore, in the time I was I had strict rules for tilesets especially.

Half of the tilesets you choose was on my banned list because of several issues - too long area loading, missing tile-fading (in worm jungle 99% time you are looking on foliage...), or visually not fitting the original NWN style (again worm tilesets especially - either you build whole world in worm or not at all imo)

As for TB Forest Exansion, peoples might not be willing to download this when they already have their own forest expansion tileset or using CEP2 Forest tileset...

In short. Using custom tilesets you make your work very specialized and you reduce the potentional number of peoples that might use this. If you feel that the tilesets are a major facelift feature you need, consider working with vanilla tilesets but with Zwerkules Facelift/NWNCQ applied...

EDIT: additional placeables aren't that problematic, builder will be able to use your work without them downloaded (with some modifying..) but to replace a tileset an area is created is not really possible unless the area is created in vanilla tileset and you want to change it for some vanilla tileset expansion (such as TB Forest), but not vice versa.

Modifié par Shadooow, 09 août 2014 - 06:45 .

Legacy_Tonden_Ockay

Building Areas
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 08:32:31 pm »

Ok Question is there a forest expansion that has hills and water falls like Rural Expansion  does?

I could use the standard tilesets if there are some really good expansions for them. I could build the areas and upload them as standard only. The go back and add the expansion haks and dress the areas up. This way I could add to the areas I build without having to rebuild the whole thing from scratch.

For example I could use stream water falls in standard rural and then with an expansion hak I could use wider non walkable water for bigger water falls. Also I could raise the land for hills and later go back with expansion hak and smooth them out with hills.

It would be a little more work but not too much.

Legacy_Draygoth28

Building Areas
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 08:56:20 pm »

I really like the idea of this project. I would love to see the sword coast brought to life but in the quality of Zwerkules videos that were posted in the custom section of these forums.http://forum.bioware...werkules/page-7

Legacy_MagicalMaster

Building Areas
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 12:09:39 am »

Half of the tilesets you choose was on my banned list because of several issues?

Could you explain exactly which ones those are and why?  I've noticed major performance issues on custom tilesets and am trying to build up a list of usable ones versus ones that just aren't worth using.

Legacy_Tonden_Ockay

Building Areas
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 12:16:10 am »

I was hoping that this could help bring more people to NWN to play D&D. Friends of mine have said they would play if I made a campaign using NWN. So I started thinking if I broke it up into modules with each City being its own module and each road leading from town to town being its own module it would work well for running campaigns and keep downloads and load times down. DMs could use what parts of the world they needed without having to load everything at once. Plus it they wanted to add something they would only have to load a small module instead of dealing with this very large bulky module of areas they aren't even using. 

Legacy_Tonden_Ockay

Building Areas
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 12:21:24 am »

I would like to know the same thing MagicalMaster I have not been following NWN close enough over the years to know. Just now looking at some of the screenshots the tilesets look great. However I would not want to build a project of this size with tilesets that have bugs and clitches that builders would not want to use in their modules.

Legacy_Shadooow

Building Areas
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 12:44:44 am »

I would like to know the same thing MagicalMaster I have not been following NWN close enough over the years to know. Just now looking at some of the screenshots the tilesets look great. However I would not want to build a project of this size with tilesets that have bugs and clitches that builders would not want to use in their modules.

I posted this to MM with personal message because I dont want to hurt anyone feelings. I know very well how much work such tileset takes and I respect all tileset makers, but unfortunately I find some of the tilesets unsuitable for me and my area design.

Anyway, what I said applies to Persistant Worlds, as thats what came to my mind at first when I read the description of project. But if you intent to use it for PnP DMed campaign, then I think that you don't really need to care as much.

Legacy_Tonden_Ockay

Building Areas
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 12:55:12 am »

I was checking out some youtube video's of Mountains and more tileset tileset

Video One

Video Two

Video Three

Does this tileset have problems?

What about Medieval City tileset or Mountainous Forest tileset ?

I have taken Mountain Jungle tileset off the list of tileset haks that I might use.

I would like as many people to use the prefabs I would make as possible and at the same time may be have old/new players give NWN1 another look.

Its just that I love everything that someone can do with NWN1 and I don't see another game being made like it anytime soon. So I would love to do my part to help keep it a live. After looking through the vault I was saying to my self someone should have made a some nice sword of the coast prefabs by now. However I really couldn't find any for NWN1. This has lead me to wanting to take on this project. I don't know how to wright scripts or make custom tilesets. Yet I do feel I could do this for the community.

Legacy_Shadooow

Building Areas
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 12:58:47 am »

I was checking out some youtube video's of Mountains and more tileset tileset

Video One

Video Two

Video Three

Does this tileset have problems?

What about Medieval City tileset or Mountainous Forest tileset ?

Can't say, I haven't checked most newer tilesets (not building anymore). I've seen that video as well and I noticed some foliage blocking view but it was only few cases and who knows whether Zwerkules has autofade turned on or not.

Legacy_Shadooow

Building Areas
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 01:07:18 am »

BTW, about hour ago I created a new poll on neverwintervault.org asking about graphic settings peoples play NWN these days.

At this moment it seems that there won't be many peoples running NWN on old computers with crap graphic cards.

Still, even on my DualCore 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM, GT 640 graphic card, some tilesets are still very slow especially when changing areas.