Author Topic: Aielund Saga Improvements (Need Input/Feedback)  (Read 11934 times)

Legacy_olnorton

Aielund Saga Improvements (Need Input/Feedback)
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 12:17:23 pm »

I just finished it & found no more bugs or typos.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 04:52:54 pm »

Thanks for the effort, much appreciated.

Though, for the benefit of people reading this, I will point out that there are other typos -- I spotted one in Act 4 Part 3 at a minimum.  But depending on the dialogue paths you choose you could easily miss them so if you're thinking of doing something similar to OlNorton please do so!  Impossible to find every typo in one go for that reason alone.

Legacy_werelynx

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 10:13:44 am »

How bout using NWNSpellchecker?

It's available at the old vault.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 05:14:34 pm »

Wouldn't catch 75% of the listed typos so far.

Example A: Fix "might" to "mighty" in Xyrna's speech

Might is a valid word, it just needs to be mighty in that case.

Example B: And at the same place you say to Nellise " But I'm eager to meet with this General we've come so far to see. You want to come with?"

Missing an "us" at the end, which isn't a spellchecking error.

I'll look into it anyway but a lot of work simply needs to be done manually.

Legacy_Empyre65

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 10:44:22 pm »

People actually do say "want to come with?", but maybe not in Aielund.

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 05:11:30 pm »

I havent played Aielund Saga yet, but what are you doing here MM is much appreciated. Will probably play this campaign after this is done.

Legacy_Elhanan

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 02:54:41 pm »

It has been a while since I have played this series, but it remains my overall fave NWN storyline; highly recommended. And it helps make Followers beneficial to have along for the experience, simply for the conversations.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 05:32:13 pm »

Meaning what?  That you suggest making it so followers don't give an experience penalty?

Legacy_Elhanan

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2014, 05:58:02 pm »

Meaning I enjoy the dialogues of Followers, as opposed to simply wanting tanks and healers. While I prefer to solo in games, it is not because of XP; usually am too annoyed by having them tag along for the trip.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 09:03:20 pm »

Ah, gotcha.

*Do* people think that making it so you get the same XP with or without followers would be a good idea?  I know rogueknight333 did something similar in Swordflight, not sure how much work that was.

If so, that would mean lowering the solo XP rather than raising the grouped XP -- balance would stay the same while grouped but there would be no real incentive to solo.

Legacy_Elhanan

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 09:36:47 pm »

I would not mess with the XP, as those micro-managing for bonus XP should find ways to acquire it.

My advice is to help repair the story and the way it is told rather than revamp all the game mechanics.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 10:05:11 pm »

I would not mess with the XP, as those micro-managing for bonus XP should find ways to acquire it.

Avoiding bringing the followers to avoid the 36% (1 - (0.8 * 0.8)) XP penalty is micro-managing for bonus XP?

My advice is to help repair the story and the way it is told rather than revamp all the game mechanics.

Technically I hadn't even considered this until you mentioned this topic, but regardless it wouldn't be revamping the game mechanics -- assuming you brought the maximum number of followers along (as intended) there wouldn't be any difference.  Seems it might be a good idea in order to encourage people to bring the followers since, like you said, they add a lot.  In most campaigns there's a disincentive to get followers if you can manage to solo it since you get more XP.

Not sold on the idea by any means, but if it's not too difficult to do it's something I'm considering.

Legacy_Elhanan

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 02:52:43 am »

Anyone not using these Followers is missing a great deal of the interactive story. Doing so for a bump in XP is it's own punishment/ reward.

Legacy_rogueknight333

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 04:12:11 am »

*Do* people think that making it so you get the same XP with or without followers would be a good idea?  I know rogueknight333 did something similar in Swordflight, not sure how much work that was.

If so, that would mean lowering the solo XP rather than raising the grouped XP -- balance would stay the same while grouped but there would be no real incentive to solo.

I am not certain it would actually be a good idea to implement this, since altering things in this way would now create an incentive not to solo (no compensation for losing henchman support) which some people might prefer to do. Arguably you would be changing the character of the series rather than simply fixing things that are clearly issues. It would also be tricky to fine tune so precisely that it made no difference at all to XP one way or the other - I was OK with the incentives created by setting things up so that taking henchmen along actually gave an XP advantage. I am also not certain how well my system would work in a multiplayer context since it is a global change, not one just affecting the PC who hires the henchman.

That said, if you are interested in implementing something like the system used in Swordflight, what I did was to adjust the Module XP Scale upward whenever a henchman joins the party, and adjust it downward whenever a henchman either leaves or dies. Swordflight's Base XP Scale was 5, and this went up by 2 (i.e. more than the 20% penalty imposed) each time a new henchman joined, up to 11 if one has 3 henchmen (the maximum allowed in Swordflight 2). To do this you need to:

1) adjust "x0_inc_henai" so that the ability to dismiss a henchman using radial controls is disabled (as I did) or alternatively include the XP adjustment there. Then recompile "x0_ch_hen_conv" (or whatever script is used in henchmen's "On Conversation" event if it is a custom one) to incorporate the change.

2) Adjust the XP Scale upwards in the conversational script that has a henchman join

3) Adjust the XP Scale downward in the conversational script used to fire a henchman

4) Give each henchman a custom "On Death" script that adjusts the XP Scale downward

5) Give each henchman a custom "On Spell Cast At" script that adjusts the XP Scale upward when the henchman is raised by spell and rejoins the party (assuming this happens automatically as in Swordflight rather than through conversation - do not remember how it works in Aielund).

For more info you can look at following scripts in Swordflight Chapter 2:

-modified "x0_inc_henai" ( IIRC correctly you should look at line 873 for the relevant section)

-"sca_henchhire001" and "s_library002" that it includes (my standard conversation script for hiring a henchman)

-"sca_henchfire001" (my standard conversation script for firing a henchman)

-"sk_hendeath001" (custom OnDeath script for henchmen)

-"sk_henspell001" (custom OnSpellCastAt script for henchmen)

-"s_test003" and "s_test004" are two scripts that can be run in Debug Mode - the first tells you what the current XP Scale is, the second resets it to the module's default value (useful for testing and debugging the system).

Legacy_Empyre65

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 04:26:33 am »

Anyone not using these Followers is missing a great deal of the interactive story. Doing so for a bump in XP is it's own punishment/ reward.

I agree with this. There is no need to change the experience penalty for having henchmen, becuse the modules are balanced with henchmen in mind.