Author Topic: Help with visual mods  (Read 742 times)

Legacy_binn05

Help with visual mods
« on: January 02, 2014, 02:26:10 am »

Hello,

I finished NWN 1 some years ago and decide to play it again. So, I look out for some mods to enhance the graphics to a more modern looking or to at least use some more graphic raw force of the new machines.

That's when I got overwhelmed by http://nwvault.ign.com/

As I understand I have to install the CEP.
After that, I really don't known which modifications to add to the game.

Any tips of which ones I should use and how to install them?

Sorry for the bad english. Thanks in advance.

Legacy_werelynx

Help with visual mods
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:16:28 am »

"Add-ons & Tips from the NWN Community"

Modifié par werelynx, 02 janvier 2014 - 09:33 .

Legacy_Shadooow

Help with visual mods
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:36:12 am »

binn05 wrote...

As I understand I have to install the CEP.

Nope, that doesnt improve graphic at all it just adds a new content to the game which you wont find in the Single Player campaigns. Though some fan made campaigns require to have CEP installed. And Project Q if you heard about it works the same.

If you want to play Official Campaign or older modules and you want better graphic, you should look either for NWNCQ or Zwerkule's Facelift haks.

Also you can try my latest unofficial patch build, it contains many minor graphical improvements and fixes:

Hundreds tile fixes and improvements containing these changes: tilefading corrections, walkmesh, pathfinding and visibility corrections, tile lights and animations corrections, edge tile corrections, missing polygon corrections.
    Several special spell icons changed to better suit the spell category or benefits. This namely affects ioun stones, the icon that appears in item subradial/quickbar.
    Added custom effect icons from Mordaedil and the PRC team, for effects with shared icon. This improvement allows players to easier determine the effects they are subject to.
    Added custom emote icons from The Amethyst Dragon.
    Added custom walking icon instead of the default "star" icon.
    Fixed the black background of numerous spell scroll icons.
    Added nicer hands and foots models from Kurairyu and NWNEnhanced team.
    Added colored lips/eyes/eyebrows from DeathFace.
    Fixed textures on five large shields from patch 1.69 (all had same "deer" texture).
    Fixed oversized "umberhulkish" gnome shin and forearms.
    Linu head clipping issue fixed.
    Large number of character model parts for large phenotype modified and shrinked to avoid clipping and overlapping issues.
    Added tree foliage from helvene into trees in forest tileset. Unlike foliage from DLA that many are used to, this one properly fades out.
    Added missing tilefade feature into all placeable trees from patch 1.69.
    Added missing tilefade feature into tree terrain in Castle/Rural tileset.
    Colored class icons from BoomWav.
    Colored skill icons from BoomWav.
    Colored clerical domain icons from Q-Necron.
    Colored spell icons (gen.2) from The Amethyst Dragon, note that several spell icons uses brand new image.
    Removed flare from the light sources inside tiles (link for explanation and images).
    Added the "BioWater Patch" for 1.69 tilesets from Chaos Theocrat to improve game performancy around water.
    Added player character model fix to maintain NO position or rotation keys for Impact node.
    Fixed client bug with active domains and custom feats in radial menu.

Modifié par ShaDoOoW, 02 janvier 2014 - 09:37 .

Legacy_binn05

Help with visual mods
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:21:38 pm »

werelynx wrote...

"Add-ons & Tips from the NWN Community" 

Wewlynx, thanks. Is there a risk of overlaping things at the Beautifying Modifications, and compromisse the game?

ShaDoOoW wrote...
If you want to play Official Campaign or older modules and you want better graphic, you should look either for NWNCQ or Zwerkule's Facelift haks.

Also you can try my latest unofficial patch build, it contains many minor graphical improvements and fixes:

Thanks ShaDoOoW.
Project Q, NWNCQ, Zwerkule's Facelift haks and your unofficial patch are mutually exclusive, or I can use more 
than one at the same time?

Legacy_werelynx

Help with visual mods
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:32:07 pm »

Well, unfortunately most of it dabbles with override folder, but you can always remove the offending file if you discover a problem.

I would say : go for it. The risk is small enough and rewards big.

Legacy_henesua

Help with visual mods
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:42:57 pm »

binn05 wrote...

Thanks ShaDoOoW.
Project Q, NWNCQ, Zwerkule's Facelift haks and your unofficial patch are mutually exclusive, or I can use more 
than one at the same time?

Each of those projects is implemented in a different way and thus do not necessarily conflict with one another.
  • For facelifting the game, I recommend using all of Zwerkule's facelifts as a Patch HAK. I took all of his facelifts and combined them in one HAK (using the NWHAK utility found in NWN's sub-directory called "util"). Then I put this combined hak in a sub-directory of NWN called "patch", and added the nwnpatch.ini file pointing to my combined hak.  (Incidentally I also did this wih The Amethyst Dragons reforged weapons)
  • NWNCQ is put in the override folder, adn you can do this side by side with the facelifts. The facelifts will take precedence over the files in the override, BUT NWNCQ touches tilesets that the facelift has yet to get to so you still get sme value out of NWNCQ if you like it.
  • Project Q is a set of HAKs that expands the game. Unless a module uses Project Q just having Project Q is of little use unless you open up the toolset and start playing with it.
  • Shadooow can speak to his patch but in y opinion it is worth installing. While the community patch does offer some aesthetic improvements, its main value is in script changes and other technical things that improve the behavior of the game.

Modifié par henesua, 02 janvier 2014 - 09:47 .

Legacy_Shadooow

Help with visual mods
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 10:06:40 pm »

henesua wrote...

• Shadooow can speak to his patch but in y opinion it is worth installing. While the community patch does offer some aesthetic improvements, its main value is in script changes and other technical things that improve the behavior of the game.

Indeed, the graphical improvements that patch offers are rather minor and quite hard to notice (filling little gaps in models, tilefading corrections, few minor retextures). And many of those are restored when you apply some facelift because those facelifts were done from vanilla models. But they are there and patch also contain some icon replacements, enhanced trees in forest tileset, and better character models and item models on the ground.

Anyway my unofficial patch is compatible with all other mods, but these mods might overwrite some of its files. But it wont break them if thats what you ask.