Author Topic: Are people still playing SP modules?  (Read 1066 times)

Legacy_MrKWMonk

Are people still playing SP modules?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 10:33:02 pm »

I come back to NWN1 every few months and play a module or series - have got dozens to choose from which is awesome.  90% of the time it's SP (with an OHS party) as I need to be able to pause things when I get interrupted.  I therefore keep and eye on things and download new stuff as people release them.

Good luck.
kaos

Legacy_Lennon the Bard

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 07:07:28 pm »

Still playing SP games too....

Legacy_cds13

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »

Yes, sure I'm playing them, waiting for that creation of yours!

Legacy_Bhaelrot

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 06:01:26 pm »

I play SP modules and MP modules with a few friends. We prefer them because we can play them at our own pace or in our own way. PWs often pressure folks to play or act a certain way, which is certainly their prerogative and is not always a negative thing. Whether it is or not is always at the perception of the joining player though, not the "owner" or population of the server. With downloaded SP or MP modules this is never an issue.

Another thing I really enjoy about downloadable modules is the sheer variety. Even modules that have glitches and unattended details are still very often fun to play, and some of the stories are just wild. You don't get that in finely tuned, painstakingly scripted PWs nearly as often. PWs are generally crafted towards balance, which has a tendency to make everything more or less homogenous and androgynous.

Lastly, downloadable SP and MP modules are completely editable, assuming one knows their way around the toolkit. As has been pointed out already in this thread, if I or one of my friends like the mod we can take it and expand or tweak it to create further adventure for ourselves. We can also DM the mod to change or enhance the experience.

In my opinion, the bottom line is that SP and MP modules offer the greatest source and flexibility of gaming, which is why I prefer them. PWs can provide a better social experience but there is no guarantee of it.
~

Legacy_Westan Willows

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 06:30:17 pm »

I go for sp mods

Legacy_Notabarbiegirl

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 07:28:30 pm »

Yes, people still play single player games, just as thread necromany occurs.

Legacy_Grani

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 11:01:28 pm »

Yes, people still play single player games, just as thread necromany occurs.

I see what you did there.

Legacy_Wensleydale

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 01:14:48 am »

Yeah, I still play single-player modules. I've never been a big fan of multiplayer or PWs, so single-player modules are pretty much the only kind that get my attention. Due to player attrition, I don't know if you can justify pouring years of your life into creating the sorts of sweeping episodic story-driven epics we used to see back in the day, but smaller modules definitely get played. If you build it... they will come. (Maybe only a handful of them, but the true joy of building is in the creation, not the kudos you may or may not get for your work afterwards.)

Legacy_Grani

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 10:57:50 am »

Yeah, I still play single-player modules. I've never been a big fan of multiplayer or PWs, so single-player modules are pretty much the only kind that get my attention. Due to player attrition, I don't know if you can justify pouring years of your life into creating the sorts of sweeping episodic story-driven epics we used to see back in the day, but smaller modules definitely get played. If you build it... they will come. (Maybe only a handful of them, but the true joy of building is in the creation, not the kudos you may or may not get for your work afterwards.)

I think these "sweeping episodic story-driven epics" would be absolutely welcomed by the community.

Legacy_Wensleydale

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 01:02:48 pm »

I think these "sweeping episodic story-driven epics" would be absolutely welcomed by the community.

I agree. My point was that they take so long to construct, and given the massive reduction in players over the years, it's a little disheartening from a builder's perspective to pour so much time and effort into something, all the while knowing that it's probably going to be played by only a handful of people.

Having said that, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. If you're determined to build one of these sweeping episodic story-driven epics, more power to you, and best of luck.

Legacy_Maykers_2015

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 02:10:49 am »

If anyone comes here wanting to play an epic SP module, I would love it if you would try mine.  I have never been good about the promotional side of launching these.  You do not have to play the first one to enjoy the 2nd edition.  The 2nd edition is a much better piece of work.  Read up on the site below and it comes with a good description of the story and style.  It also comes with a 31 page walkthrough in case you get stuck at any time.

I highly recommend you pick fighter class initially for the way it is designed and start at level 4.

HeavensGate 2: Islands of the Undead Legion.  
http://148.251.86.81...s-undead-legion

Any other questions, feel free to email me at Getbrad@hotmail.com