Author Topic: Wyvern Crown of Cormyr  (Read 5497 times)

Legacy_Tchos

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2011, 12:42:50 am »

jmlzemaggo, you finished playing through it again already?  I've been playing it for days!  I've just been killed in a big fight in Polter's Fort, and am taking a brief break before attempting it again.  I had to give up on getting the info Manthis wanted, because I never put any points into the intimidation skill, and that's the only way to get the info, it seems.  I moved on from there.

I never had the "horse hat" problem others mention.

I'm not a fan of jousting, either, but there was more than enough other content to love about this module.  It's a shame it's no longer available for sale.

Legacy_TimG

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2011, 06:48:12 pm »

I never could get Alice to give me the quest to help Manthis.  My only two choices were to spy on the castle and get a horn from the Priest at the temple.  Neither of those seemed like they'd do so I declined them.

Legacy_TimG

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 07:36:48 pm »

edit for clarity, when I tried a different tack from a save even when I got the unicorn horn all I could do was give it over to Alice.  No other option presented itself.

Legacy_Tchos

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 07:55:10 pm »

The option that was presented to me when I returned to Alice was to [Intimidate] her into telling me who was the original owner of the horn.  I had focused entirely on Persuasion, and not Intimidate or Bluff.  Somehow, my Intimidate and Bluff stats were actually at -1 at the time, despite no status effect being on me that I could see.

I had tried every other possibility.  I tried to talk to Jenny Drabb, who was in love with an unnamed noble hunter, while I carried the horn, to see if she might know who had owned it, but she had nothing to say about it.  Magnus also had no information about its origins.  Sir Drake Huntcrown in the Sound of Thunder was another likely candidate to know something about hunters (based on his name), but he also had nothing to say.  The mysterious house called Lord Huntcrown's House was locked and impossible to break into, with a servant's voice saying to come back later.  Basically, every logical lead to perform an investigation was simply not an option, and the only acceptable path was to threaten a woman who runs a criminal underground.

Modifié par Tchos, 15 octobre 2011 - 07:00 .

Legacy_TimG

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2011, 08:42:46 pm »

yeah, I'm stuck with it too.  Hopefully an answer will present itself...
I bought the horn from Magnus but that didn't make any difference that I could see.  I never found Lord Huntsilver himself anywhere.

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2011, 09:58:47 pm »

TimG wrote...
... and get a horn from the Priest at the temple.  Neither of those seemed like they'd do so I declined them.

Did you really decline the "horn" thing? 
'hope you've got a savegame... ':blink:' 

Actually, that could be one of the few NWN rules: never decline a quest. 
I accepted any single one of them. To see everything which was to be seen, as always. Every dialog, every single line of it. 
(I played a Weapon Master, so intimidating was my religion.) 
I tried Jenny for the same reasons, but she has nothing to do with that horn and her lover isn't the one you and I thought he was. 
I was not thrilled by this threatening idea either. Alicia seems to be the key that opens everything. Even some locked door... 
I remember seeing some +intimidating+ gear somewhere...

Modifié par jmlzemaggo, 15 octobre 2011 - 09:06 .

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »

TimG wrote...
edit for clarity, when I tried a different tack from a save even when I got the unicorn horn all I could do was give it over to Alice.  No other option presented itself.

I'm not fond of this all "Alice story" the way it's been handled to tell you the least. 
Also because I hate threatening a woman, even in a game... if I didn't choose to play evil myself. 

SPOILERS
I think I gave it to Alice too, and nothing happened... until... something happens. 
The Lord's mansion (in that corner near Alice's) should open once you leave the priest... after molesting him a bit...) But the Lord is only an option anyway, even if I supposed he could be a way to end the quest as well, if you choose to deal with him. Not my choice, so I wouldn't know, as I was concerned this could just kill the centaur (or is that satyr?) quest forever. 
But the Lord has to do something with the centaur hunting anyway. Two reasons to visit him. 

I read somewhere than the team who made WCC had to rush a bit its writing for some reasons. 
That didn't surprise me... 

Modifié par jmlzemaggo, 15 octobre 2011 - 09:27 .

Legacy_Tchos

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2011, 10:54:20 pm »

jmlzemaggo wrote...
The Lord's mansion (in that corner near Alice's) should open once you leave the priest... after molesting him a bit..

I did try visiting the mansion after getting the horn from the priest, and also after talking to Alice, both after not giving it to her and also after giving it to her, and it never opened.  Possibly it's because I wasn't able to intimidate the priest either?  I could only use persuasion on him, to get him to sell it to me.  Could be it only opens up if you successfully intimidate him.

I'm past that part now, anyway, and it's too bad I couldn't experience the rest of that content no matter how I tried, but I'm surprised how much more content there has been afterward!  I thought it was all over when I finished Polter's Fort, but it's still going strong!

Though that leads me to another dissatisfactory bit in Polter's Fort (which was otherwise a really fun and enjoyable experience), which I'll warn anyone not to read if you don't want a...

SPOILER

...with the talking sword.  Between the available actions of telling him "No, I can't set you free" (which sounded to me like an evil statement) and simply picking up the sword, when I picked up the sword he screamed "You've destroyed me!" and I got two alignment points toward EVIL!  After reloading, I found that "I can't set you free" is the "good" choice.  I tried throwing holy water and a potion of bless on the sword, to no avail, and I had Edgar the Paladin with me, too.  Why couldn't he do something about it?

I even took the sword to the priest in town, to see if he'd say anything about it, and also to the smith.  And they said nothing!

Modifié par Tchos, 15 octobre 2011 - 10:00 .

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 12:26:03 am »

The sword...
If I remember right (I was playing a neutral-good alignement myself, so the numbers/results might depend on your own alignement), I picked it up, set it free by destroying it on the spot (by radial-using it, not using it in a fight) which let me with the same blade but broken, one I could show to the priest for him to give me some infos, including his advice to show it to the smithess.
Now, she did say something, it's a very tiny line in her dialog, but she does say she could use it (if you carefully read the name given to that sword once broken... which I forgot, you should see it in her dialog when she makes a list of the pieces you're carrying in your backpack) as some material for her to to be able to enhance that "hero weapon" she could craft for you.
Which, at this point, should be an "enhancement +3" one, regarding the quantity (3) of ancient pieces you already found, hopfully.
Beside, it's also probably the best moment to have that special weapon finally crafted, (I found a Bodak tooth being the best ingredient to add to it), for the next but best step (+4, for 4 ancient pieces found) comes a bit too late in the game in my opinion to enjoy her gift long enough.

(Be warned if you're using Tony K's AI, the crafting cutscene might freeze the game.
Just move your override folder aside for a while if this ever happen)

About the horn, did you ever run into Manthis on your way to the fort?
That Lord was actually the hunter Manthis wanted to know about. Nothing more, but some 1500/2000? xps lost all together I suppose. 

Modifié par jmlzemaggo, 15 octobre 2011 - 11:43 .

Legacy_Tchos

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 12:52:15 am »

I'm not sure I can break the sword at this point, but I can check if there is such an option in the menu.  Can I also break down the other two weapons I forged from the magic weapons?  I made 1 weapon from each broken piece, so they're both +1.

I did meet Manthis, yes, and disappointed him.

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2011, 01:36:49 am »

I'm afraid once those weapons are forged... it's for ever.
Check the sword itself, it comes with its very own "special use".

Legacy_Bannor Bloodfist

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2011, 02:28:48 am »

Actually, I seriously wish that the old DLA forums had been saved by someone.  It is not likely that the wayback machine would have all the threads, but it might.

There were complete quest lists, with complete solutions (read spoilers) available on there though.

As to the different quests, you seriously can NOT accept them all, at least not in one play-through.  They were setup to be class/alignment specific, and once a choice was made in one way, you were pretty much locked out of the others.  I remember having to re-test as several different types of character to be able to test all the different options on the sub-quests.

Edit:  Nope, wayback doesn't seem to have the WCoC forum crawled.  Likely since DLAdventures.net required a username/password combo to access those forums.

Modifié par Bannor Bloodfist, 16 octobre 2011 - 01:32 .

Legacy_Tchos

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 03:19:05 am »

Bannor Bloodfist wrote...
Actually, I seriously wish that the old DLA forums had been saved by someone.  It is not likely that the wayback machine would have all the threads, but it might.

There were complete quest lists, with complete solutions (read spoilers) available on there though.

Nope, wayback doesn't seem to have the WCoC forum crawled.  Likely since DLAdventures.net required a username/password combo to access those forums.

I think this is what you seek.

The first page of Quest Walkthroughs is missing, but page 2 and page 3 are there, as well as Puzzle Walkthroughs.

Someone should repost that information in a thread here.

Legacy_Bannor Bloodfist

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2011, 03:46:35 am »

Ahhh, I "assumed" that since I couldn't get to page one, that the others were not there either.

Thanks for finding it.

As to needing it, nope, I don't, I played that mod well over 150 times during QA Testing, complete playthroughs.  That does not include the several hundred more plays where I just tested specific things.

I was only searching to help others here.

As pages 2 and 3 show, at the bottom of each quest listing, there is a section that explains the possible rewards, and actions that a player can take.  I don't know if we ever listed the exclusionary issues though... meaning that if you do 'x', you can't do 'y' later on in the mod.  At least not as a separate listing.

Anyway, I do have some fond memories of the story and module in general, and some frustrations of course as well... I had a tough time with the original jousting, until we worked out some of the kinks, and then I learned the secrets to beating it every time, and, well, that took the fun out of it!

Note:  I also spent well over 200 hours in specific tileset testing for TNO, and the other sets included/created for that mod.  Gawd, that brings back very painful memories, TNO (Castle Exterior, Rural) was one huge tileset, doing things that no one had attempted before...lots and lots of testing, and re-testing... several thousand bug reports submitted, with about 80% of those getting fixed before WCoC was released.  That last 20% were primarily just visual things, that most folks wouldn't notice while playing unless they are tileset centric like I seem to be.  There were several hundred other bug reports that were placed during QA on the story, npc's, placeables, etc... a good 99.9% of those were fixed as required by Bioware before we could release WCoC.

Legacy_Tchos

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2011, 04:22:48 am »

I meant you were looking for it, not that you needed it.  I thought you might like to repost the info on this forum to make it easier for people to find, since you were involved in that project.