Author Topic: Short Guide - Installing Neverwinter Nights Mods  (Read 1016 times)

Legacy_werelynx

Short Guide - Installing Neverwinter Nights Mods
« on: July 10, 2011, 01:53:32 pm »

Short Guide - Installing Neverwinter Nights Mod

I have found it today on youtube. I have not made it, just wanted to share with community, especially newcomers.

Legacy_Anna7271

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 07:39:01 am »

How do you attach a NWN module to an email so someone else can play it?

Legacy_werelynx

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 10:57:16 am »

I guess that you are unable to attach nameofthemodule.mod file to your email. Try using 7zip or winrar or similiar packing program.
In case you are asking what files you need to play a module: it depends on the stuff you had put in the module. Basically NWN patched to whatever patch you have and the .mod file that goes to the modules folder in the main folder of the game. If you have used any hakpaks then you also need to provide those(or at least links from where to download them). Those are .hak files, that go to the haks folder. If you had made a movie, included music, override, premade player character, readme and all the different stuff then of course you also need to send them.

Legacy_Decedion

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 08:55:36 pm »

My nwn module file has my modules as movies and back up files. Why is that and how do I copy or burn them for someone else to play?

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 09:14:26 pm »

Decedion wrote...

My nwn module file has my modules as movies and back up files. Why is that and how do I copy or burn them for someone else to play?

Your operation system just sees the .mod as a movie file, It ie realy no big deal and you can ingnore that it shows up as a movie.   You can copy or burn them the same way you do any other file.  A simple drag and drop holding down the control Key should work.  

If the file showing up as a movie bugs you too much you can change that by right clicking on one of the .mod file and selecting "Open With.."   at that poing a dialog box will open to allow you to select the progran to open that file type with.    Select either  nwmain.exe nwserver.exe or  nwserver.exe.  
Checking the option to "always open with this program"  will make it to where your file no longer show up as movies.   It will also then be set to where if you double click the file, it will use the program you selected to open it.  BE -WARNED though If ever try to play a  movies/videio that has a .mod extention,  The system will  try to open it with the progran you selected and fail to play it.

Legacy_Decedion

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:24:20 pm »

I sure thank you for your response. So for someone else to play from disc they only need extract file into their own nwn module file? ( lol I'm a newbie at sharing files as this is my first created module from the toolset)

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 09:35:42 pm »

Correct,  For the game to open the module from within the Game/Toolset/Server programs, It does not matter what the OS thinks the .mod extention means.  You only would only need to convince the OS that it is a nwn file, if you wanted the ability to double click on the file and have the OS start up that program to open it with.

Legacy_Decedion

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 09:43:47 pm »

Thank you again for your help! If you're still there...Adobe doesnt seem to be able to read many of the files which I've opened. Is there a better program? I just downloaded CEP 2.4 and it gave the message that Adobe couldn't read the files. Was CEP put into any of my nwn files? I can;t seem to locate it.

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:49:24 pm »

Well Adobe reader should not be able to any file unless it is a PDF (Protable Document Format) with the .pdf extention.   What files from CEP are you trying to open?

Legacy_Decedion

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 09:54:56 pm »

I wasnt actually, At the end of the download, I got the message regarding adobe and that was it.I don't think the download was successful as there was nothing new in the toolset.

Legacy_Decedion

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:59:24 pm »

I wasnt actually, At the end of the download, I got the message regarding adobe and that was it.I don't think the download was successful as there was nothing new in the toolset.

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 10:08:21 pm »

CEP does not automaticly add anything new to the toolset.  In order to see any of the content for CEP you have to attach the content to the module you are making.   The hak order for to attach the content to the module is here> CEP: Forum, Downloads, and Info

You may also want to read the section 2.2.5 
The Custom Content of a Module
 in  The Guide to Building Volume I – The Aurora Toolset Manual for how to attach them. 

Legacy_Decedion

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 10:19:18 pm »

Thanks lightfoot8. I really appreciate the help.

Legacy_Decedion

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 11:02:51 pm »

ok now im gettin' mad.. lol I go to download some of the nwn mods from builders from these forums and as soon as I click to download, my damn windows media music screen appears with a message that windows media player cannot support this blah.. blah... blah  I don't get the option to open, run, or save etc.

Modifié par Decedion, 10 décembre 2011 - 11:05 .

Legacy_Lightfoot8

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 11:08:18 pm »

lol.  

Yes that is because windows thinks that mod file is a movie.  
solution.  Right click on the download link and select " Save Target as..."