Author Topic: X2 Castle Amber w/ proper custom content  (Read 768 times)

Legacy_henesua

X2 Castle Amber w/ proper custom content
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »

One of my favorite modules to play back in my PnP D&D days was X2 Castle Amber. It has a focused "dungeon crawl" interspersed w/ madcap NPCs for some adlib roleplay, followed by a more free form set of mini-adventures in Clark Ashton Smith's Averoigne. Lots of fun.

However none of the remakes of Castle Amber for NWN that I have seen are done right in my opinion. First of all there is a huge gap in the custom content. The module should at the least use RLCore Gothic Interiors by Chandigar. Given how appropriate the tileset is for the module I wonder if Chandigar ever considered building Castle Amber.

Anyone else given this a shot?

I've already sketched out the house using Gothic Interiors, and it looks right. Gothic interiors is missing a couple features that would make it perfect for the wings of the house, but its not worth quibbling over such things. SO... I am on my way to finishing both wings of the house, and chapel, while I am just beginning to address the interior forest and dungeon. Averoigne and the FInale would be n a later installment if I got around to it.

BUT before I go all out, I am curious as to what interest others would have in this project. I'm currently weighing whether to script the complete adventure or merely to build the module as a nice stage set with all the needed props so that a DM could run the adventure or adapt it however they wanted. The later is all that I would need to run it for some friends so I am leaning in that direction. BUT since I am considering putting this on the vault I am curious what others in the community would make use of.

BTW: since I prefer Project Q to CEP. This would not be a CEP compatible module.

Legacy_Karvon

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 12:32:47 am »

While I'm a big fan of X2, I would pass if it were not CEP compatible.

Regards

Karvon

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »

Interesting, Karvon. You're missing out on a great deal of high quality vault content by sticking with CEP only projects. A shame.

I've made progress with castle amber, and looked into modifying RL Core Gothic interiors to add the color themed rooms. And possibly changing all of the reds to an amber color. Given the lack of interest, however, this will not likely grow into a fully scripted module.

Legacy_Bubba McThudd

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:55:22 am »

Any screenshots?

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:46:24 pm »

There's been no interest so I haven't bothered pushing this forward, and gone back to my previous project. I'll try to get to taking some screenshots this weekend.

Legacy_Luspr

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 06:45:11 pm »

With respect, I would advise you to take on a project because of your will to do it, not because of some expressed interest on a forum. Likewise, you should likely not consider a project a write off because of a lack of interest on a forum.

Also, it is very difficult to tackle more than one module project at a time, you might even say close to impossible. So if you are already deep into your Arnheim thing then you are probably best advised to stick with that and come back to X2 once you are finished with it.

Legacy_henesua

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 07:50:34 pm »

Luspr, thats the idea. I was bit by the Castle Amber bug when I was building an area for the single player Arnheim module using Chandigar's RL Core Gothic Interiors. But I have since gone back to work on the previous mod.

The question was whether there was enough interest to justify sharing my work with others. Putting together a mod for public consumption is a great deal more work than prefabbing an area that you will DM with friends. Since no one was interested, I'll just keep my work to the simpler effort of building a stageset for my own use rather than scripting all of the encounters.

Modifié par henesua, 02 avril 2011 - 06:53 .

Legacy_bussinrounds

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:20:04 am »

Don't come to the conclusion that nobody's interested just cause you haven't gotten replies to a thread or two.

For instance, i was interested but didn't reply.