Author Topic: Single Player "Evil" Module Recommendations  (Read 1487 times)

Legacy_keyofrassilon

Single Player "Evil" Module Recommendations
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:23:24 am »

Ok there are just so many to choose from that I just dont know what too look for... See my problem is I'm trying to find something to fit my role of evil alignment but there are hardly any intelligent evil based modules out there save for a few... So I decided my best option is to go with something epic or large scale with support for all alignments... Something open ended that doesnt force you to take on a certain role or be a certain character in the module... Starting at 1st level up to 40th level or just whatever supports all alignments really... And I just dont mean it allows all alignemts but actually gives you the choice to side with the enemy... Actually role play the alignments and your actions dictate your alignment... What would the community recommend based on that criteria?

Thanks in advance!

Modifié par keyofrassilon, 18 mars 2011 - 01:13 .

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:03:37 am »

That's an interesting question. I wish there could be much more evil modules as well. But strongly written with an evil point of view. Otherwise... it means nothing but killing civilians for no reasons, noting much more. I don't care much for playing a blackguard, but there is that "Blackguard" I,II,III saga by 999Darklord999. But I love playing the assassin class. I had a great time through "A Dance with Rogues" (a very adulte saga!) but I had to 'rewrite' the module in my head. I also remember an evil 'rogue type' story but not its name so far. 

I suggest you change your title with someting about evil modules.

Modifié par jmlzemaggo, 18 mars 2011 - 08:06 .

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:06:51 am »

I just ran into that evil 2010 module, very bad rating but from only one guy, so it doesn't mean much, beside being mean maybe...:
But it seems a very strange module, a weird very heavy file to download... and I found nothing inside... Zero K! So cautious here.

Mystic Completed

Modifié par jmlzemaggo, 18 mars 2011 - 09:18 .

Legacy_olivier leroux

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 11:41:53 am »

I don't think there are any epic modules that take you from 1st to 40th level AND let you decide to choose completely opposite ways through the story. That would be a hell of a module to pull off for any author, not even professional teams like BioWare itself managed to do that ...

Anyway, Revenant by McV is a module I could recommend and which allows you to roleplay an evil alignment with evil options beyond just killing everyone in sight.

Also, the Bastard of Kosigan series by Fabien Cerutti allows you to take different sides to reach your goals and betray your allies (but I'm not sure you could speak of pure good and evil sides there, it's more about power politics and personal interests in a grayscale rather than black and white world).

Legacy_Xenovant

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 12:46:32 pm »

jmlzemaggo wrote...

I just ran into that evil 2010 module, very bad rating but from only one guy, so it doesn't mean much, beside being mean maybe...:
But it seems a very strange module, a weird very heavy file to download... and I found nothing inside... Zero K! So cautious here.

Mystic Completed

If you like weird modules, you should try Boodietopia if you haven't. Sometimes is hylarious.

I like this type of modules too but of course they aren't my favourites, I like them... for a change xD

Legacy_keyofrassilon

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 01:09:15 pm »

Yeah thats what I'm looking for is a change... I'm tired of being a goodie two shoes saving the world hero... I wanted to play the role of a sinister dictator or the lord of destruction of some town or provence... side with the lich lord etc... join the drow in the underdark... Right now I'm playing Eye of the Beholder and I wanted to go join the drow and return to wipe the map of Waterdeep haha... Prolly wont let me Im sure...

The Blackguard ones were interesting... I have those already but didnt start them yet... Mostly because I was looking for open ended storylines...

I don't think there are any epic modules that take you from 1st to 40th level AND let you decide to choose completely opposite ways through the story...

Maybe if I toned it down a bit and only required the options of evil alignemnts be present in a module and change the outcome... I have found a few like this but they started at epic levels...

It does appear that I have limited options in this scope... Maybe if I said allowed support of alignments of all types and left it at that... Although having the content for evil characters would help... I will look into the others offered... Or maybe try and write one tailered for evil alignments if I have time... I tend to prefer playing them though...

Modifié par keyofrassilon, 18 mars 2011 - 01:11 .

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 01:23:41 pm »

Simply forget about that Mystic Completed module... ':whistle:'
(Read my comments on its Vault page if you want.)

Legacy_keyofrassilon

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:47:11 pm »

Yeah I wont bother either... I dont use PRC atm for one... And the hassle seems not worth it for two lol

Legacy_werelynx

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 02:39:16 pm »

Someone mentioned drows? A Hunt Through the Dark

Modifié par werelynx, 18 mars 2011 - 02:40 .

Legacy_Luspr

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 06:49:45 pm »

I think you can play an evil plotline in Bubba McThudd's really very good Agrenost

Modifié par Luspr, 18 mars 2011 - 06:54 .

Legacy_Bubba McThudd

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »

Thanks for the plug Luspr,

The Cult storyline (Evil Cleric or Monk) in Agrenost is specifically designed for evil alignments.  The player begins as a low-level minion in an evil cult that is plotting to take over the city.
One can also play an evil character in all the other storylines (except Church), although they are not designed as evil per se.

Legacy_keyofrassilon

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 01:04:05 pm »

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will try them all... I decided to go with A Hunt Through the Dark series first... as Drow have always been my favorite... As for being a drow there also seems to be lacking modules in this dept as well... Everyone wants to be the good guy and save the world... Or play Lord of the Rings part 99... So I thought of doing my own... One being a zombie based module based on the movie Zombie Flesh Eaters but set in a fantasy realm... The island will be named Matul and you will be given several roles to choose from.. The investigator (hero) for good and neutral alignments or the villan (necromancer) for evil alignments... This will have 2 stories in one because of this and therefore 2 outcomes... Maybe more... Another idea of course would be involving the drow as there is not many of these... But then I dont know if and when I will get time to do something like this as whatever free time I get I tend to play the game!

Legacy_werelynx

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 09:01:51 pm »

Actually there is a necromancer module on the vault, even two(that I know of)!
Necromancer, Part 1 - Allegiance (1.65) - never played this one, but it is on my to-play list, although there is only part 1

Bone Kenning I: Art of the Thanaturge - first part of series that were never completed. The same author made the module Soldier's Grave, which has the same atmospere and concepts of the world. Soldier's Grave is situated on the island and involves undead.
It would be neat, if you(or any1 else) merged them both. Soldier's would be the first part of a Necromancer(thanaturg) Tale. The PC seeing the situation on the island would struggle to become neutral/ evil thanaturg and then after island is gone he/she would settle near his birthplace(here comes the story of bone kenning). Surely the later would need the CR of the critters to be higher. Then being involved in big thanaturgs politics, fighting with The Church(or signing a treaty?), ruling the village, conquering new lands. The possibilities are endless.
Unfortunately there are no drow in there. Only evil water elves.

Modifié par werelynx, 20 mars 2011 - 09:02 .

Legacy_olivier leroux

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 11:30:14 pm »

I second the recommendations for Agrenost and Bone Kenning. And I remembered a few more recommendable modules that could be of interest to you, depending on your definition of evil:

Orcs 1 - The Awakening and Orcs 2 - Return to Al-Dha by Akkei (fight an orc clan's wars against humans and rival orc tribes), also
The Breach by Akkei (be the undead commander of an evil army; I haven't played this one yet but it sounds like something you might enjoy)
Arandie by Harri Polsa (maybe not 100% evil but far from being good; you take on the role of a rebellious and sometimes cold-hearted assassin - a pregenerated character)
A Day in the Life of Evil by Hellix (short-story module about an evil pregenerated wizard)
A Thief in the Night by btowle (a short puzzle module in which you serve an evil lich's cult)
The Pillaging of Waycrest by Matthew Fisher (short BioWare Contest module in which you're an Orcish raider, haven't played it myself yet but it's got a few high votes)
Road to Ruin by Eldar Featel (another short-story module, not necessarily about evil but about a faction that preaches Entropy)
Vampire: Heaven Defied by Chojin (ambiguos setting, should allow evil choices, too)
Almraiven and Shadewood by Fester Pot (if you're looking for a truly evil plot it might not suit your needs but it's not a "goody two-shoes saving the world" plot either; the PC is meant to be considered evil because of his/her dabbling in some kind of necromantic art, also one of the most acclaimed module series around)

These two modules have been recommended to me and they look like modules for evil alignments but I haven't played them yet, so I can't say how evil exactly the PCs are meant to be:

Assassin: A Winter's Tale by Levistus
Drow Tales: The Librarian's Tale by Capn Gherkin

As for "A Hunt Through the Dark", it's a great series and offers good possibilities to play an evil character, just be aware that the latter installments of the series are a bit of a letdown in that regard, discontinueing the evil drow raid plot (but they're still good modules).

Modifié par olivier leroux, 20 mars 2011 - 11:34 .

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 05:08:14 pm »

The Gods Themselves
& even better, the latest updated file, included in that "3 evil modules" pack, for finishing HotU PCs, but not necessarily I suppose:
The Gods Themselves Trilogy
Never played those myself, but it smells good, sorry, evil enough.