Author Topic: Remove Stoneskin/Barkskin for NWN1?  (Read 1734 times)

Legacy_BelgarathMTH

Remove Stoneskin/Barkskin for NWN1?
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:49:38 pm »

Does anyone know if there's a mod for NWN1 that removes the ugly stoneskin/barkskin effects?

I've got the one installed that's for NWN2, and it greatly increases my enjoyment of that game - I'd like to have it for NWN1.

Thanks.

Legacy_TSMDude

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:15:30 pm »

Texture Base Spell Changes

Simple modifications to spells:

barkskin (nw_s0_barkskin)
greater stoneskin (nw_s0_grstonesk)
shadow shield (nw_s0_shadshld)
stoneskin (nw_s0_stoneskn)

Removed the visual effect that hid what the player's armor looks like. No more walking trees, boulders or someone dunked in tar.

The spell works the same other than that.

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:33:18 pm »

That  "Texture Base Spell Changes" comes with a .mod and .erf files. How do you use it? Through the editor?

Legacy_BelgarathMTH

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:22:19 pm »

Thank you so much, TSM and jml! I couldn't find this anywhere! A name for the mod that says better what it does would probably help search engines find it, because I would never in a million years have typed in "texture base" looking for it!

BTW, it works when you extract the .erf file included in the download into your .erf folder in the game directory.

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:44:11 pm »

I didn't do anything, TSMDude did it all. But I'd take the compliment no matter what.
And my turn to thank you for teaching me how to use it.
That was a good question.
Actually, if you like NWN looking maybe a bit nicer, check my list in my signature.
I'm alrready thinking about adding that "Texture Base Spell Changes"... once I tried it myself first.

Modifié par jmlzemaggo, 28 octobre 2010 - 09:47 .

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:14:12 am »

Well, it doesn't seem to be as simple as that. I moved the .erf file into my erf folder and it's not working. Unless by " extracting" you mean much more than just moving the file?

(I'm on my old Mac here, at home, where I play, and no access to the toolset.)

Legacy_TheSpiritedLass

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 12:15:32 pm »

*sleepy surprised look*   Thanks TSMDude.

@jmlzemaggo - Once the erf is in your erf folder, you need to tell the toolset to "import" it.  This option is under the file menu.  Nice list by the way.  There are a couple things there that I'll have to check out.

@BelgarathMTH - I can adjust the name, what would you suggest?  Spell changes such as these are *super* easy to do, so let me know if there are other ones that bug you. 

-- Mistress

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 12:29:01 pm »

I would advice you guys to install it through opening that erf in nwhak.exe (in folder utils) and then extracting its content into override folder.

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 01:26:32 pm »

All of those (toolset and nwhak.exe) won't work on my Mac. Thanks anyway.

Maybe we could upload that "override" translation on the Vault...

Legacy_TheSpiritedLass

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 01:58:33 pm »

*sleepy waves hello at ShaDoOow*

@jmlzemaggo - I've never used the override directory for scripts.  So... no idea if that will work.  This request has happened before.  The thread is here:

http://social.biowar...2/index/4638053

If I get my CCC Sept 2010 - Commoners content  (http://social.biowar...1/index/4934139) done in time today, I'll try and take a look (no promises though!).  If not, I probably will not have time until late next week.  If you want to PM me your e-mail, I can extract the script files from the erf and send them to you and you can try it out sooner on your own?

-- Mistress

Legacy_jmlzemaggo

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 08:17:26 pm »

Yes! Such a nice offer. Thanks.

Legacy_TheSpiritedLass

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 08:55:43 pm »

Email on its way.  I'm curious to see if the override works or not.  Keep us posted?

Legacy_BelgarathMTH

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 09:05:03 pm »

This is weird, but yesterday it worked, and today it doesn't. It's like the program is not reading the instructions in the erf folder anymore since I last restarted.

I'm about to try some of the other techniques suggested here.

EDIT #1: I tried what Shadoow said. Putting the scripts into the override folder doesn't work. I want to try "telling the toolset to import it", but I only see module files in the toolset. How do I get the toolset to apply the scripts to the OC's?

EDIT#2: I used to toolset to import the .erf into a module. It doesn't work in my saved game in that module. Do you have to start a new game to make it work?

EDIT#3: I tried a totally clean override folder with nothing but these spellscripts in it. Now it works in the OC (yay!) but not in, for example, Savant's mods. Now I know that the problem has to do with conflicting scripts. Savant's mods have a spellscript .hak with them that I know of. I tried importing the new spells scripts into an Aielund mod with the toolset, and it doesn't work. Apparently the .hak is taking precedence, or else there are other scripts in the .mod that are doing it. Anyway, I'm glad I can at least play the OC's without the annoying spell effects.

I've gotten to where I hate those stupid skin effects so much that I am not going to be able to enjoy any mod where I can't get them turned off!

I would appreciate more help with this issue. Can anyone make the skin removal scripts work with an Aielund mod?

Modifié par BelgarathMTH, 29 octobre 2010 - 08:55 .

Legacy_TheSpiritedLass

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 09:47:34 pm »

@BelgarathMTH - ZERO clue, sorry.  I bet ShaDoOoW knows though.  *grins*  My only suggestion is to make sure to do a script compile after you load the erfs into the module.  But again, serious cluelessness here if that will do you any good or not.  =(

I do know that just having a file in your erf directory does *nothing* other than have it sit there looking nifty until you decide you want to import it via the toolset.  I have hundreds of erfs in my directory and they have nothing to do with what game I'm currently running or what happens in any given module loaded in the toolset.

Legacy_BelgarathMTH

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 09:55:59 pm »

TheSpirited, thanks. See my EDIT#3, above.