Author Topic: Six Years And Counting  (Read 797 times)

Legacy_LeeMer47

Six Years And Counting
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:54:02 am »

I just realized today I've been modding in NWN1 for six years come August. My first module save is 10 August 2004, though I think I started on the 8th. I didn't save my saves every day back then. Didn't know about crashes. Only took me 4 years to complete it.

So 21 NWN1 modules later (yeah, I'm counting the five Bioware Contest modules but not the two uploads of other people's modules), I'm still modding, though not as frequently. I take more time outs these days.

Amazingly, I've actually got more modules partially done then done. 17 of my 19 GWC modules are in various stages of completion, two testing and one close to testing, and only one without all the areas made. I have the Illefarn parts of N4 - Under Illefarn done, just not Daggerford and the wilderness parts. I've got a bunch of gold box conversions brewing, most with areas done, Icewind Dale, several Ravenloft modules, the almost complete Ruins of Blackmoor Castle, DA1 - Adventures in Blackmoor, Sea of Dunes and The Retracting Ice. I think I'm going to try and finish the later four soon. I even just played Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace to see if it can be converted using the Arcane Space hak.

So feel free to use this thread to announce how long you've been modding in NWN1.

Legacy_ehye_khandee

Six Years And Counting
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:46:07 pm »

I've been at it since the game came out. A friend told me that NWN was a fine game and I just "had to get it" in part because I was (at the time) nearly immobile due to a particularly bad hernia, so I had some time on my hands and needed the distraction. I've been building my PW ever since. I did turn out a couple smallish modules as side projects and have worked a few minor miracles on some projects for other people along the way (and eventually even got the surgery for the hernia after about five years of suffering with no health insurance and profound penury due to inability to move well).

NWN and finally learning to script / C was a great object for me to focus on in those days, it helped me "keep my head on" through the roughest of times. I was fortunate in that I bumped into a really nice lady - pure genius, insightful, and with 20 years of programing (uncounted languages) to her credit. She helped me with the more complicated bits of scripting, helped me learn the hard core tricks, the pitfalls to avoid and much more. She joined forces with me in building my PW and since then, we have pretty much coded every imaginable system, lag free, crash free, and sweet as can be - now, with a PW of 1100+ areas running solid and fast even under loads (tested as high as 30 odd players and can easy handle more) - we are both impressed with NWN's engine and pleased with our work. If you'd like to have a look at a PW where you can fly, swim, climb, jump, cast such spells as LIVEOAK, WISH, WALL OF ICE, (and more than 60 more), scavenge, track, scry, craft and oooooh so much more, please do visit 66.232.100.90 cep2.1 or better is required. We would love to have more people so we can test this thing out to max (96?) players.

Kudos to BIOWARE for making this super-fine tool!

I'm still refining my craft, still very impressed by my partner's code (she's pure genius) and really enjoying being able to work with such an amazing lady. I'll keep the server online and continue advancing it for the foreseeable future - though, to be honest, really neat features to code are becoming few and far between as we have so far coded the lion's share of our wish list. Maybe you nice people can login and help us suss what we are still missing?

Long live NWN!

Legacy_Genisys

Six Years And Counting
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:35:45 pm »

I've only been modding / scripting for about 4 years, maybe less (can't remember when I started), but it's been a joy and my worst nightmare, literally.

The one thing I learned when I first started was, I had to get my main module stuff out of the way before I could build for real, for areas / monsters / storyline / NPCs is pretty simple compared to..

Module Scripts
Systems (This took me 2 years!)
Stores (Items are so ugh!)

Therefore after I had most of my main module content finished, I could focus on building modules, yet, after all that, I started to lose my desire to build, which is a travesty, but maybe it will come back to me soon again, who knows..

Modifié par Genisys, 14 septembre 2010 - 02:36 .