Author Topic: Taking Tiles out  (Read 2618 times)

Legacy_Tonden_Ockay

Taking Tiles out
« on: July 28, 2016, 09:25:34 pm »

Ok

Lets say a Hak " A " has a few tiles in it that I don't want in my module.

For example a dead tree tile. Now if all I do is go and remove that tile from the hak I will be left with a blank white tile right? If this is the case how do I completely get rid of a tile?

Thanks for your time.

Legacy_T0r0

Taking Tiles out
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:37:19 pm »

Why create more work for yourself ?Just don't use that tile.. 

Legacy_the_isolator

Taking Tiles out
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:44:07 pm »

It's actually quite a simple process if you have the right tools. I'd recommend downloading the Tileset Editor from the Vault. Simply load it up and open the set file you wish to edit, find the tile you don't want and delete it. If it is a group or a feature, you might need to delete it from the 'Groups' menu as well. 

If you're not using the Tileset Editor, then it can be done manually by opening the set file in notepad and deleting the lines relating to the tile. You will then need to adjust the tile numbers for the subsequent tiles and also adjust the tile count as well (I think that's all, it's been a while since I've done it manually). Just have a play about and see what happens. 

UPDATE:

http://neverwinterva...editor-beta-085

There's a link for the editor. Have fun! It's worth having a go and seeing all the different things it does. 

Modifié par the_isolator, 28 juillet 2016 - 09:46 .

Legacy_MerricksDad

Taking Tiles out
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 12:57:25 am »

Here's a trick. If you don't want to modify tile numbers by hand, or rely on a program to shift them all for you (say for instance you don't want the numbers moved AT ALL), simply add a group and incorporate the tile into the group. The tile will no longer be allowed to auto-place itself for a tile of that region, unless you specifically use the tile as a group.

Here's another trick, with similar outcome. Edit the set file in notepad or something similar. Find the tile and set one of the corners to a ridiculously large integer value (16 will work). You can no longer ever call that tile for use in the toolset.

If either of these is in a hak file, you can then feel free to modify the hak and remove the offending bytes of model, feeling safe that it won't haunt you in the future.

Legacy_Zwerkules

Taking Tiles out
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 01:09:11 pm »

Here's another trick, with similar outcome. Edit the set file in notepad or something similar. Find the tile and set one of the corners to a ridiculously large integer value (16 will work). You can no longer ever call that tile for use in the toolset.

You can do that or change one of the corners to a terrain type that doesn't exist, like changing "grass" to "jabberwocky".

Legacy_Tonden_Ockay

Taking Tiles out
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 03:13:18 pm »

Thanks The_Isolator, MerricksDad, and Zwerkules. These are all very nice things to know and keep in mind for future use as well.

Legacy_Shadooow

Taking Tiles out
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 05:54:06 pm »

Keep in mind, you must not renumber tiles if you are working on something like tileset redux or if you already made areas in tileset you are modifying. I understand the need to remove unused and unfit tiles or just tiles you have no desire to use (airships for me I hate them only bloating the haksize and slowing down loading areas).

But if you delete those tiles using Set Editor it will renumber all tiles following after them and this will make all previous areas made in that tileset complete mess. Probably crash toolset/game unless redone.

So if thats the case you need to use unexisting terrain or other methods mentioned here, keeping the tile in SET. However you can freely delete tile *mdl and *wok from hak after of course.