Author Topic: Robes floating below flying pheno  (Read 2541 times)

Legacy_TripleXM

Robes floating below flying pheno
« on: July 27, 2016, 05:36:49 pm »

Hi. When characters take flight in my module, any worn robes appear floating below the model. Other clothing and armor works fine. What do I need to dig into and adjust to make the robes behave like other armor and clothing? I have NWexplorer, Gmax, Notepad++, and NWmax if any of those will help me. I am decent at scripting, but don't know much about the models or what makes them work.

Thanks for any help.

Legacy_MerricksDad

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 01:08:01 am »

If I had to guess, I would say that your custom animations are due to somebody changing a reference in the animation chain starting somewhere around pmh0. It may point to something other than the required a_ba series. If that is the case, perhaps the cloak animations were not changed in the hak to point to the same modified animation chain, or... somebody didn't make cloak nodes on the new animations and just skipped that whole aspect. I would almost put money on the first thing though.

Legacy_MerricksDad

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:09:52 am »

In the hak file, check for custom a_ba like files, and/or custom p<sex><race><pheno> files. Something in that region is probably the cause. In those MDL files, check for the line near the top which reads "supermodel". It may point to non-standard animation chains.

Legacy_Proleric

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 07:29:03 am »

This is a known issue, with a simple (if slightly tedious) fix.

When you introduce a new phenotype, such as flying, all existing clothing/armour parts work with it automatically, except robes.

Every robe model must be explicitly duplicated for the new phenotype.

Say, for example, you're using a robe model named 007. You will have a series of model files for the normal phenotype named p**1_robe007.mdl, where ** is the gender and race (pfa1_robe007.mdl, and so on).

If, say, the flying phenotype is 16, you have to copy all those models to a new series names p**16_robe007.mdl, changing all internal references to the model name. Repeat for every other robe.

Fortunately, there are tools which let you do the entire job in one batch. Copy all the original robe models into a folder. Decompile (if necessary) using nwnmdlcomp with wildcards. Then use NWN model renamer to rename all the models and fix all the internal references in one pass.

If you are doing this for CEP or whatever, you may find that some of the robe models already exist for phenotype 16, so you just have to do the missing ones.

Caveat : there are a few robe models with complicated node mappings that don't look good if you simply copy them. According to my notes, in 1.69 and CEP these are the long coats and cloak robes (robe models 24, 25, 116, 174). My solution is to use those robes only for those NPCs who never need special phenotypes. A really good modeller could provide a better solution, but since there are so few of them, it's not a showstopper.

Legacy_TripleXM

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 03:28:26 pm »

Thank you all very much!

Legacy_Proleric

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 09:38:40 am »

I forgot one important point. In addition to changing the internal references to the model name, you also need to change the supermodel name in each model.

So,

setsupermodel pfh1_robe007 pfh1

should read

setsupermodel pfh16_robe007 pfh16

and so on.

This makes the NWN Model Renamer step a little more tedious, as you have to do a global edit for each race-gender combination ("pfa1 to pfa16" through "pmo1 to pmo16").