Author Topic: Adding Tiles  (Read 3103 times)

Legacy_Tonden_Ockay

Adding Tiles
« on: July 25, 2016, 07:40:34 am »

Question what all would I need to do to add a tile from one hak to another?

I have the model and the texture, but to get them to show up in the toolset I think I needed to do something other then just put them in the hak.

Do I need to add some lines of text some where or something?

Legacy_Shadooow

Adding Tiles
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 07:46:23 am »

you need to edit SET file and also palette files (itp)

Im dong this via SET Editor B085 it has nice GUI for many tileset-related jobs

Legacy_TheOneBlackRider

Adding Tiles
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 02:19:08 pm »

I'm also using the SET Editor B085 for the set file. You can open the set to be edited and then it shows an "Import Tiles/Groups"-option. Here you can open a different set file, choose tiles or groups and then just select wanted parts to be merged into your set.

BUT watch out: The SET Editor B085 deletes parts of the set file - those, which came with 1.69 (maybe earlier), eg. SelectorHeight=...!

So, backup your setfile, you're working with, before using SET Editor B085! After the edit, I check, what has been taken out (check until the tile entries start). I usually just copy back in the top part.

For the itp file, I use the modified version of the GFFEditor. If I remember right, Zwerkules uses TlkEdit13b. It can read (and write) itp-files (just checked),

Legacy_Bannor Bloodfist

Adding Tiles
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:01:11 am »

I'm also using the SET Editor B085 for the set file. You can open the set to be edited and then it shows an "Import Tiles/Groups"-option. Here you can open a different set file, choose tiles or groups and then just select wanted parts to be merged into your set.

BUT watch out: The SET Editor B085 deletes parts of the set file - those, which came with 1.69 (maybe earlier), eg. SelectorHeight=...!

So, backup your setfile, you're working with, before using SET Editor B085! After the edit, I check, what has been taken out (check until the tile entries start). I usually just copy back in the top part.

For the itp file, I use the modified version of the GFFEditor. If I remember right, Zwerkules uses TlkEdit13b. It can read (and write) itp-files (just checked),

Another word of warning with using SetEditorB085, is that it has absolutely NO IDEA that and "a" and and "A" are actually different and will convert ALL pathnodes and visibility nodes to lower case, thus completely destroying any effort to use tiles that are using ANY of the capital letter path, visibility nodes.  And that is not an easy search/replace that any text editor can use, you would not want to wantonly change all lower case to uppercase either as they do mean different things.  I believe it can also corrupt some other bits on individual tiles beyond just path and visibility nodes, but I can't remember exactly what those other changes were.

SetEditorB085 was great in it's day, and still has some uses for EXPORTING tiles / groups etc, but it destroys any true .SET file when you export the entire thing.  I use it for finding groups, and for displaying certain aspects of tiles etc while working with a .SET, but beyond that, I have found that I must manually edit a real .SET using a text editor if I don't want things damaged.  That of course means learning a bit more maybe, but it is worth it in the long run.

The major damage it does is not something that is even visible via toolset or game, UNTIL you attempt to have your NPC's run around an area and they get stuck all the time because the engine can not find the proper pathway through a given tile that is using the lower case letter for a tile when it truly needed the upper case version.  ALL of those changes were implemented with 1.69 and beyond, so any tileset created since 1.69 was released may not and probably will not work correctly if re-exported by SetEditorB085.  Just be warned and careful, and do your actual editing of the .set in some other program and you should be ok.

Legacy_PLUSH HYENA of DOOM

Adding Tiles
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 10:35:20 am »

Just an additional note, probably monstrously obvious...

Millions of years ago, when I first experimented with creating NWN custom content, I transferred a Tile from one Tileset to another. Worked fine... except that I forgot to check that my imported Tile had the same base ground height as the Set I was adding it to. So the new Tile hovered 5 metres above the rest of the ground. Which was completely useless.

Easily changed in gmax (just move everything, walkmesh included, down or up the relevant amount. (For example a ttr01 Rural Tile will NOT go onto the tno01 Rural set without base height alteration.

(I'm probably the only loony ever to neglect to check the Tile base height to be sure it matches what it's being added to though...)

Legacy_Tonden_Ockay

Adding Tiles
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 12:40:47 pm »

I just ran into the same problem yesterday " Plush Hyena of Doom "

I wanted to combine to haks and I soon found out that one is set at a higher height then the other. So now I have to try and find out how to change the height of one of them to get them to line up. Although I have no clue at the moment on how to do this. I'm guessing that I will have to download a program and learn how to use it before I will be able to do this. Which well set me back a few hours or days. This game keeps forcing me to learn new things, which is a love hate relationship for me.  '<_<'

Legacy_TheOneBlackRider

Adding Tiles
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 04:49:23 pm »

Well, the position of each model part is stored in the mdl file. In most cases, they are raised by 5 (m).

So if you have this:

position -0.77 1.72 19.81 (last one = 19.81 is Z = hight)

raised, it would be:

position -0.77 1.72 24.81

But it's probably an endless task to do this for every "node" via a text editor edit.

Are you using Gmax? NWgmax (by MDA) has a tile lifter. Just hit it and all are raised by 5.

Legacy_Shadooow

Adding Tiles
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 06:13:52 pm »

Well, the position of each model part is stored in the mdl file. In most cases, they are raised by 5 (m).

So if you have this:

position -0.766735 1.71612 19.81 (last one = 19.81 is Z = hight)

raised, it would be:

position -0.77 1.72 24.81

But it's probably an endless task to do this for every "node" via a text editor edit.

Are you using Gmax? NWgmax (by MDA) has a tile lifter. Just hit it and all are raised by 5.

cleanmodels allows to do this automatically

i still did this in gmax, but if you need to adjust Z on multiple tiles cleanmodels is the tool for it

Legacy_TheOneBlackRider

Adding Tiles
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 09:44:26 pm »

cleanmodels allows to do this automatically

i still did this in gmax, but if you need to adjust Z on multiple tiles cleanmodels is the tool for it

Right! Good point ':wizard:' ! I forgot about it, because I also do it within Gmax.

In theory, it would also be possible to do it with Blender - depends on how much knowledge you have here.

BTW. Blender is also available as a "portable" version. They provide ZIP-files, which don't need an installation and they run just fine - nice, if your're intrested in just testing a bit without "polluting" your system with a test installation.

Legacy_Tarot Redhand

Adding Tiles
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 01:51:24 am »

Blender Portable is available on Portable Apps here. There are also portable versions of a number of other programs that are used by a lot of people on here, that are available on there (Inkscape, The Gimp, Greenfish Icon Editor Pro, Irfanview and Xnview).

TR