Author Topic: Best way to get rid of old saved games  (Read 1142 times)

Legacy_brgjoe

Best way to get rid of old saved games
« on: June 20, 2016, 09:54:59 am »

I have a bunch of saves (hey, sometimes it pays to save the game often!).  Though now I think I have far too many and want to rid myself of a lot of them.

What's the best way to do it?  Delete the saved games in the game itself?  Or go to the directory with the saved games and just delete them there. 

Or does it really matter?  Just didn't want to possibly mess something up by going to the directory on my PC and deleting them and then causing the game to get screwed up somehow.

Thanks!

Legacy_Lilura

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:37:42 am »

It's easier to delete lots of saves using a file manager (e.g, Windows Explorer). You could just right-click del the saves folder and nothing will stuff up. NWN will create a new one next time you make a save, in-game.

Saves also compress to a fraction of their size with something like 7z (if HDD space is an issue and you would prefer to keep them).

Legacy_Empyre65

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 06:33:11 pm »

After completing a campaign, I delete all saved games from that campaign except the first and last save from each module in the campaign, and an occasional save at a really good point in the game. I do it in-game so I can see some details of the save before I delete it.

Legacy_werelynx

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:19:55 pm »

I keep every tenth save + last, but I do make a lot of them.

When I need space I zip the old saves.

Also in order to decrease time loading/saving it is useful to not keep to much saves in saves folder as they all need to load whenever you hit save or load buttons and that takes time..

Legacy_brgjoe

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 07:03:32 am »

Yeah, that's the thing with me -- I have so many saves it does take more time now to save/load games.  That's why I want to clear some (a lot!) of them out.

A great many of my saves belong either in the category of "I probably won't revisit the module again" or "The module has been changed/updated anyway, so saved game is pretty much meaningless anyway".

So thanks for the info, all!  Guess I will just go to the saved games directory and do some much needed deleting.