Author Topic: Control over your Henchman  (Read 571 times)

Legacy_TitaniumFly

Control over your Henchman
« on: July 24, 2012, 11:08:34 am »

Ok I am really enjoying the game so far but have run into a little bit of an annoyance. I am a Rouge/Mage and so I have a Fighter (the half orc guy) to run in and let the baddies attack him. He will only attack enemys if I run out and start a fight with them or they spot me (even then sometimes he takes a bit to realize he should be fighting) even when I use attack nearest he just stands there like he does not see the enemys. Is there some other command I am not seeing or what???

Also, to play the game I have to set the game to run off only one cpu is there a better way to do that other than crtl+alt+dlt and using the task manager every time?

Modifié par TitaniumFly, 24 juillet 2012 - 10:17 .

Legacy_cds13

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:54:52 pm »

You could try with the "guard me" command instead; sometimes it happens that your henchmen "look at the stars" instead of fighting. They act almost fine until you issue the first command, by that point on you have to keep often on telling them what to do.
In order to make Daelan reset a little bit dismiss him for a while switching to Grimgnaw in example (in my opinion a better tank than Daelan) and switch back to the half-orc soon after.

Legacy_Elhanan

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 01:43:03 pm »

While I do not utilize this myself, Tony's AI is often recommended; could be a reason why is is listed first under the Suggestion Sticky towards the the top of the page:

* 1) AI Hench(wo)man: Henchman Inventory & Battle AI, by Tony K & jonmichaels for PC & for Mac

Legacy_cds13

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »

Indeed, when I installed it I just couldn't realize why I didn,t do it earlier

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:37:38 pm »

TitaniumFly wrote...

Ok I am really enjoying the game so far but have run into a little bit of an annoyance. I am a Rouge/Mage and so I have a Fighter (the half orc guy) to run in and let the baddies attack him. He will only attack enemys if I run out and start a fight with them or they spot me (even then sometimes he takes a bit to realize he should be fighting) even when I use attack nearest he just stands there like he does not see the enemys. Is there some other command I am not seeing or what???

Also, to play the game I have to set the game to run off only one cpu is there a better way to do that other than crtl+alt+dlt and using the task manager every time?

yes thats how it works unfortunately. Wonder if Tony K did something about this - i wouldnt be surprised if not.

Problem is that henchies are always behind you, so they often cant see what you see, they have also shorter vision range. But when you use ranged weapon to start attack they will behave as they should have - they will run towards the enemy you are attacking.

* Attack nearest will cause henchman to attack nearest enemy in his vision range.
* Guard me will cause henchman to attack last hostile actor agains master.

You can also try my community patch, there are several henchman-AI-related fixes and features so Daelan will be able to rage. Yet this issue is untouched - use ranged and youll be fine.

Legacy_WebShaman

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 02:51:41 pm »

I believe someone created a tool to do this - I seem to remember it being mentioned in the CC forum.  I believe I use it with my modified OHS hak.

Basically, one clicks on the henchie and then targets the target - works fairly well.

Legacy_MagicalMaster

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 11:26:28 pm »

It's not difficult to script a way (item, player tool, or feat) for this to work.  It's harder to import it into a module which doesn't have it.

For example,

I could make a script in 30 seconds that would make all of your henchmen, summons, animal companions, etc go and attack a target you designate.  It would work in any situation where you had access to, say, player tool 1.

But you'd need player tool 1 AND the script active in the module to work.  Or an item and the script.  Or a custom feat and the script.  Etc.

So if you really wanted, I could work up a script and an item to go along with it.  You could import it into any module with tag based scripting and it should work reasonably well.

...but you'd still have to edit the module

I don't know much about overrides, so it might be able to force the script into the module that way, but you'd still need a trigger mechanism.  Can an override alter the feats.2da and grant player tools or a custom feat to trigger the script with?

Modifié par MagicalMaster, 10 août 2012 - 10:29 .

Legacy_WebShaman

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 03:38:38 pm »

Hmmm...I am not sure.  Perhaps take a look on how the Rod of Casting was done?

Of course, one will need tag-based scripting active.

Legacy_ffbj

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 04:49:34 pm »

It seems like there should be an easily solveable scripting solution to this.  Of course that's pretty much what others are saying.  What I think would be cool would be to have a way to set the aggressiveness of your henchman.  So extremely aggressive to cowardly like some of the settiing/scripts for npc's or creatures.  So different henchers would have different personalites, and they would respond to enemies depending on circumstance, so if they were badly wounded they would slip into cowardice, and pull back from a battle unless they were a barbarian, for instance.
I think they had stuff like the henchman would like you more, or less, depending on how you acted, but maybe I am thinking of the The Old Republic.  Though even there I am not sure a henchman would desert you in battle, even if they hated you, it was more of a relationship thing.

Legacy_Shadooow

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 02:50:54 pm »

TitaniumFly wrote...

I guess I could add a feature into AI that enables "sharing vision". I mean, if you tell your henchman to attack nearest, he will attack nerest enemy and if there is no enemy in his vision range (which is what is OP experiencing), then he will share vision of his master and attack nearest seen master's enemy.